Website pet peeve!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForMyACDs

Reaction score
We were looking to purchase a pony and because of our "requirements" it took a while to find the one we were looking for. As a result we had to visit more than quite a few websites.

Look......if you want people to look at your animals then DON'T put music on your site!! If I open a website and music starts playing I don't go any further. You may have the best horses for sale, but I'm never going to get past that opening page. Yep, I can turn the volume down, but it severely affects download times for the site and under some circumstances it can severely affect the way the website functions.

Please, Please, PLEASE........can the music!!!!

I for one like it, I just turn it down and enjoy, does not effect my download time!:

If I knew how to do it, I would but music on mine. sorry.
default_wink.png
:

Cannot believe because of music you would just not look?

Oh well that is what makes the world turn, we all are different in our likes and dislikes.
default_wink.png
:

Hope you found what you where looking for? :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I hate the music too. I say if you're going to put music on, put a button on there where I can stop it.

Turning down the volume is inconvenient for me cuz I miss out on the other sounds I use-- like the sound that plays when I get an e-mail.

I for one like it, I just turn it down and enjoy, does not effect my download time!:

If I knew how to do it, I would but music on mine. sorry.
default_wink.png
:

Cannot believe because of music you would just not look?

Oh well that is what makes the world turn, we all are different in our likes and dislikes.
default_wink.png
:

Hope you found what you where looking for? :saludando:
Yep......if I open a page and hear music the page is immediately closed.......no exceptions.

Sure did find what we were looking for. A lovely boy who will be arriving on the 14th........and there was no music on that website.......

Oh just Love those Pintos. Thanks for sharing :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

DON'T put music on your site!!
I couldn't agree more. It's extremely inconvenient and it's usually something that should be playing in an elevator.

Congrats on your new boy. I hope he's everything you've been wanting.

CONGRADULATIONS :aktion033: Don't forget pictures :aktion033:
Until he gets here this is what I've got:

200467911.jpg
SWEET...that is a nice looking pony.

I agree with the music, I had very slow dialup and music often would just crash my internet
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: I keep my sound muted unless I want to listen to something and I now have super high speed but it still annoys me to wait for music to load so I can move to the next page.

even worse for me are angelfire sites I skip them too many blasted pop ups
default_wink.png
:

I normally don't like music on websites either, but I do have it on mine. The reason I don't usually like it is because most of it is twangy and nasty (I turn the speakers off), my daughter went to great lengths to try to get nice music for my site, and I love it!

It is not the music that slows down a site loading, most midi files are small, it is large picture files that slow loading. And yes I am on dial up too.
default_smile.png

Congrats on your new horse. Personally I dont mind most music and I LOVE those little horseshoes or horses that sort of trail the mouse even though most dont like that either

I don't notice the music....no speakers! :bgrin But yes, I much prefer looking at the websites in silence. I also agree with whomever mentioned all the popups with angelfire--they are just a little too much. And I'll add to the list of pet peeves:

Flashing words/phrases. I visited one site the other day (don't even remember whose it was) and there were words & phrases in great big colorful letters, and they were flashing, or actually moving side to side. Beside one photo was a phase in blue running back & forth left to right. Then down below that was some words in red, also zipping back & forth, opposite to the blue words. Oh my, I didn't stay there--that was an instant headache for me. I switched to another page on the site & there were more blue words running back & forth, so I left.

I do, however, like those little trails of horseshoes, stars, letters, whatever, that follow the mouse on some sites...I would use those, if I had the capabilities. Either I'm not that computer literate, or my computer isn't, as I can't produce those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full agreement here...................my main reasoning though is half the time the music is NOT what works with the page...............and it is synthesizer type, FAKE music.

I don't notice the music....no speakers! :bgrin But yes, I much prefer looking at the websites in silence. I also agree with whomever mentioned all the popups with angelfire--they are just a little too much. And I'll add to the list of pet peeves:

Flashing words/phrases. I visited one site the other day (don't even remember whose it was) and there were words & phrases in great big colorful letters, and they were flashing, or actually moving side to side. Beside one photo was a phase in blue running back & forth left to right. Then down below that was some words in red, also zipping back & forth, opposite to the blue words. Oh my, I didn't stay there--that was an instant headache for me. I switched to another page on the site & there were more blue words running back & forth, so I left.

I do, however, like those little trails of horseshoes, stars, letters, whatever, that follow the mouse on some sites...I would use those, if I had the capabilities. Either I'm not that computer literate, or my computer isn't, as I can't produce those.

If we are adding other website pet peeves to the list, then I totally agree with disliking the popups and ads, but I do not like those little trailing horseshoes etc. that are in place of the cursor. Not because I don't think they are cute, but because I personally find them very hard on my eyes after a couple of minutes for some reason. I don't stay on sites that have them, and one was a site I used to really enjoy visiting.
default_sad.png

If a person listened to say tech shows on how to build a Good and Dynamic website. One of the BIGGEST no nos is Music~!! No serious web site designer would recommend music it takes tie to load it distracts from the theme of the page, and is just not business like. And Keep Pictures in Thumbnails so it loads quick and if people want a better look see they can click on the picture to get a bigger one to see the horse in or whatever a person is selling.

DON"T have Moving marque things going around Don't Have MOVING things Don;t Have those Cursors that turn into things or have "Trails" following a person around, just not business like either. Don't have THINGS ALL over the page like ALL sorts of horses on the page in the background even though at low image but just is not a good idea either.

Now all this comes from the point of view of building a Business like website to attract and sell, and not to entertain and amuse people.

If a person listened to say tech shows on how to build a Good and Dynamic website. One of the BIGGEST no nos is Music~!! No serious web site designer would recommend music it takes tie to load it distracts from the theme of the page, and is just not business like.
I beg to differ. I read that on a similar topic on LB here a couple of years ago and just out of interest removed the music from my site, published, then checked the loading times. It made no difference. Making the photo files smaller is what made the difference. Now having said that, when we tried out all kinds of midis, we avoided any that were larger files.

I agree 3-00% I cant stand music....when i build sites for people I wont even make it an option, adn if they do talk me into it, I put a play and stop button so you can stop it

For me it depends on the music and what kind of mood I'm in. I just usually like to be on the internet with quiet...no music or background noise if I'm the only one in the house. Now those little critters that trail your mouse.....them I could leave. They remind me of some sort of gnat-fly that keep hovering around and I feel as tho I should be swatting at them to get them away!! :lol:

Well there are still quite a few people yet in the country that cannot get higher speeds then 18 to 28 Kbps... Just can't unless they go to Satellite service for Internet. And somebody on those lower speeds yes it Does make a huge difference in just how the page loads. And some people still are on older computers at that. some with processors no higher then 400 . I myself have DSL and get download speeds as high as 640 Kbps. And have a newer computer also. But a person that has a website and is trying to reach out to as many people as possible has to think of the people that just MAY have these slower speeds. heck there are still 1 Million that have WEB TV Yet. and that sucker is sloooooow when it comes to loading web sites with all sorts of graphics and music and many of the longer loading things.

I too prefer no music on websites. It is distracting....don't care for the images that follow with the cursor either. I can put up with the free websites if I want to see what someone has because I realize not everyone can afford the pay sites. Like to see more peaceful type pages with no junk. Mary

Latest posts

Back