Weaning orphans?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancinWithDiamonds

Reaction score
Im getting mixed messages from articles, vets, etc. There is not much targeted towards minis which contributes.

Filly is almost 2 months old. Shes doing very well with her buddy (shared stall, turnout, etc). She will stay with this buddy until Spring regardless of weaning time...its the best situation for her IMO.

She gets goats milk in 5 feedings. She will not take the recommended amount of 25% of her body weight. She should be getting 4 litres/day...she drinks maybe 2.5. She drinks water well, eats her grain (1/2 cup 3x day) and loves hay and grass. Creep feeding will not work...she eats it like its going out of style.

She's chubby. She's gained almost 10lbs in 2 weeks. One vet said milk until 6months and another (same practice) said 3 months then taper down. She will not eat any milk replacer/pellets on her grain so thats not an option.

When are mini orphans typically weaned? Finances do come into play as she has to board put with her buddy due to my work/show/children schedule. However she is a 'keeper' and I want to do things right....we've turned down 3 offers to buy her already. I would have brought her into the house if I could have. We just love her.

Latest posts

Back