weaning filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
I have seperated Velvet from her mother (who I thought would be gone by now)she is 5 months old and already getting close to the 30 inch mark...big girl...anyway....her best buddy has been my big appaloosa they are almost inseperable(no flames)..my other foals are MUCH smaller April?May babies...Velvet has never ran with the mare/foal group although everyone is up at night so they do know each other...I don't have a buddy for her :no: other than this group but I am worried she may hurt the babies accidently cause she is so much bigger....should I just keep her with the big guy..or let her play with the new babies??

If it were me, I'd have left her and her dam run with the other mares and weanlings, just wondering why you didn't? Than remove the dam and let her with the mares/foals group. She sure won't hurt the babies. There's more of a chance of the "big appaloosa" hurting her.

I would put her in with the mares and foals and keep a close eye on them.

I think i would put her with the other mares and babies so she can run and play with them. She won't hurt them.

Her mom is the one I have had such problems with..she cannot run with the other mares cause she is still so flighty and will snort/crash/trample to get away.. is not approachable and makes an otherwise pleasant herd..goofey......in almost 2 years.. I can touch her nose and pet her head a bit...but she is still just a total 'nutcase' ...the good thing is Velvet is friendly and has decided 'we' are nice people and desires Our company..I had to seperate, cause mama would call her away or run her off anytime Velvet would try and come close to us..I am just tired of trying with this mare and want her gone...sorry, bad me, but that is how I feel..the appaloosa is the one that has helped tame Velvet..he is such a docile giant and thru him we have earned velvets trust..he is one of those horses that 'died' and forgot to fall over type personalities...I would never put the little ones out with him, but Velvets mom is 40 inches and has always been out with him....you can't "make" him run away when she takes off....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your baby would enjoy playing with the other babies, if at all possible, I think babies need that play when they're little. You know how they play and it's so fun to watch. Mine, just before dark, they always start running and follow the leader, round and round they go. I think your little filly deserves some of this play too. I don't blame you for letting the mare go, I didn't know why you kept them separate, that's why I asked.

I'd put her in with the other babies too.......Their moms will help teach her about manners.

MA

thank you all sooo much..as always..you were right!!! She is having a ball!!!!!!They are zooming around and scratching..when I go out she runs up to me... as if saying "hey ma..thannks this is so much fun!!!" yippee.....it is a good herd now..thank you again for such good advice. Mama goes to the auction on the 24th..maybe she will find a good place better suited for her.

Have you tried natual horsmanship with her? There are some folks that think natural horsemanship is for riding horses only or just big horses, but we have used natural horsemanship from the very beggining with our mini foal and his mamma and with our new pony we received 2 wks ago. The pony was a rescue and has been through a lot and was jumpy even when you touched her. She has had training in the past, but was abused. We have been using the natural horsemanship methods and it's working great. She is finally starting to come up to us for touches now when we are in cleaning her area. She is sooooooo hard to catch but is taking less and less time now to round her up. All horses are different, but she might respond well. Maybe you could have just one lesson with a natural horsemanship trainer and see how she does. If you have already tried this then I am sorry for blah blah about it, but it might be worth a try if you haven't. Some very troubled 4 legged souls have turned around in no time and respond very well to this method of training. :aktion033: Good luck :saludando:

Why would you sell her at Auction?? If she is nervous and the new buyer doesnt know or isnt prepared for that she will just go from one bad situation to another....surely it would be kinder to do what the previous poster said and try some gently rehab using natural horsemanship or at least sell her privately to someone who knows how to retrain a nervous horse and will take the time to try???

Latest posts

Back