Weaning based on the Farmers' Almanac

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alongman

Reaction score
I have read several posts in the past about people weaning based on the Farmers' Almanac and the signs of the moon. I wasn't conviced to say the least. Last night, the decision was made that today (November 2, 2011) was the day that the rest of my babies would be weaned to avoid dealing with cool weather coming this weekend. I looked it up and found out that it was within the Farmers' Almanac "days to wean". This morning, I walked the babies to the barn without their mares. No screaming, no complaining. They all ate their breakfast. Then we went back outside a few hours later - one last time to nurse. After they were done, they all walked right back into their foal pen and have been happy campers since. The mares went right back about their business - none missed a beat, kept right on eating. This 100% is fluke or completely worked! I'm not sure yet, but everything is going as planned and this has been, by far, the least stressful weaning on our farm for EVERYONE involved.

Adam, I weaned a shetland filly Monday evening and has been one of the easiest I've ever done. Mare walked out of the lot and over to the hay and the filly hardly said a word. Has been a very peaceful weaning. First time I've done it by the moon signs also.

Oh, how is Crown Royal doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wean according to the Almanac's ZODIAK chart!

Nov 3rd is the BEST day to wean cold turkey!

You did hit it at the right time Adam!

I've been telling people (and posting weaning dates) for years!
default_yes.gif

I never go by the dates online, but go by the chart in the book!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam, I weaned a shetland filly Monday evening and has been one of the easiest I've ever done. Mare walked out of the lot and over to the hay and the filly hardly said a word. Has been a very peaceful weaning. First time I've done it by the moon signs also.

Oh, how is Crown Royal doing?
He's doing VERY well. He's settled into his Minnesota surroundings and is on track for being a GREAT show horse.

I started using the Almanac last year and was very impressed with the outcome..less stress for both mama and babies. I just pulled my last colt off also and will always use this method.

I always wean according to the Almanac's ZODIAK chart!

Nov 3rd is the BEST day to wean cold turkey!

You did hit it at the right time Adam!

I've been telling people (and posting weaning dates) for years!
default_yes.gif

I never go by the dates online, but go by the chart in the book!
default_smile.png

..aren't the dates on the chart and the dates posted by the Farmers Almanac the same??

The next 3 cold turkey weaning dates are

Nov 3

Nov 30

Dec 27

I used it last year and this year. I am convinced it works. I did not use it the first year I had a foal. Thought that little one would never leave her mom alone!

I also went by the Farmer's Almanac this year. I started weaning on Nov 2nd. So far, so good. Wouldn't swear by the Almanac though but you never know.

I swear by using the Almanac!! I have been using it for years to wean and geld by! I used it on my big horse foals, then the mini's since 2001. We even weaned our calf and puppies by it. It truly works! Like REO, there are more dates that will work if you look at the Almanac.....rather than just the couple of days listed. I do have a mare that hates to give up her baby, and she will whinny for a day.......then go on out with the other mares.

Pam

It has gelding dates too?? Would someone please post them if you have them handy? I'd like to get my yearling colt done asap
default_yes.gif

It goes by this..............

Each part of the body is assigned a sign of the Zodiak.

The part of the body-sign reflects where the "blood" is at that time.

head

neck

arms

breast

heart

belly

reins

secrets

thighs

knees

legs

feet

When I post a date, that date is at the last day of legs, right before feet. You want the blood to be near the feet when you wean OR GELD. If you leave it too long and it goes back up to the "head" that would go hard on the horse.

I have heard stories of people gelding at a time other than near the feet and the horse bled more or had a harder time. Same with weaning.

Believe it, or don't. Use it or don't. Rool your eyes, or not. I don't care
default_smile.png

All I know is I've done it by the book for over 15 years and it works for me. And for many others.

In the OLD FARMERS ALMANAC, there is a Zodiac chart where you see this. Then a chart of which signs are in each month.

Gelding is the same dates as weaning.

It goes by this..............

Each part of the body is assigned a sign of the Zodiak.

The part of the body-sign reflects where the "blood" is at that time.

head

neck

arms

breast

heart

belly

reins

secrets

thighs

knees

legs

feet

When I post a date, that date is at the last day of legs, right before feet. You want the blood to be near the feet when you wean OR GELD. If you leave it too long and it goes back up to the "head" that would go hard on the horse.

I have heard stories of people gelding at a time other than near the feet and the horse bled more or had a harder time. Same with weaning.

Believe it, or don't. Use it or don't. Rool your eyes, or not. I don't care
default_smile.png

All I know is I've done it by the book for over 15 years and it works for me. And for many others.

In the OLD FARMERS ALMANAC, there is a Zodiac chart where you see this. Then a chart of which signs are in each month.

Gelding is the same dates as weaning.

I have used this same chart for more than 10 years for both weaning and gelding. I have had good luck with any day that is below the secrets. I try not to use the last day in the feet cause than the next day is in the head and I don't like that, but that is just me.

You can find the new Old Farmers Almanac in many grocery stores and farm stores. I usually just look it up online. I think they charge me a couple of $$ for that one page, but that is ok with me.

I got the 2012 Almanac so here ya go!

Dec. 27

Jan. 24

Feb. 20

Mar. 18

I just went to the old farmers almanac website at http://www.almanac.com/ and purchased a file access to the full book. It cost me $4.95 plus tax to get the download site. Page 230 and 231 are what I use. I wean when the sign is in Sag, Cap and Aqu and sometimes psc. It is not possible for me to get gelding done on one exact date. Sometimes hard to wean on one exact date, so I just make sure I am within those signs.

Back