We may have to face reality....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a bad hay problem the last two years. This year I will be able to get hay put up for the winter. When I saw that it was going to be a problem, I gradually started feeding Wendlandts One & Only. It is a complete feed that looks kind of like dog chow. Anyway, we used it for two years and at times had NO hay to supplement and all my horses did very well on it. It is expensive, but was easier to obtain than hay. My stallion actually did better on that than any other feed we had used in the past. They are back to pasture and light feedings but I still supplement with the One & Only. I did not have a problem with anyone choking, but if you had concerns, you could soak it first.

Kim

Blue Seal makes a product called Hay Stretcher, it's a pellet. I've used it quite a bit in place of hay.

I have never had this probablem. But might this year as well. We do still have some hay left from last year, which would be enough for winter but we have been feeding all summer as we have no grass left.

I do know horses can make it and do well on beat pulp only. I know of some people whose horse is only on beat pulp and senior feed, soaked to a mush. That is all she is allowed to eat. She is fat and happy.

Of course, I'm putting in my 2 cents without reading everyone else's suggestions which I'm sure are helpful but just wanted to note if you are going to do cubes please don't use the alfalfa - get either hay cubes, or timothy/alfalfa cubes - straight alfalfa has too much protein and this can actually damage the kidneys, etc as excess protein is flushed from the body in urine - you will know if the protein level is too high because they will drink more, urinate more and it will be stinky!! Even if you get a complete feed you will need something for them to graze on like the bagged hay, the soaked cubes, etc. Just feeding a concentrate will raise the risk of colic, a horse's digestive system is set up for small amounts of continuous forage. Also just for their mental welfare they need to graze - without it can also lead to boredom which can also lead to vices like weaving, cribbing etc

I'm in the Northeast and we don't have any problem with hay - I feel so bad for you out there- I'm sure someone has mentioned maybe pooling together to get a tractor trailer load, maybe from Canada or NY ?

Good luck :saludando:

[SIZE=12pt]I've heard of people who live in the same area getting together and having a semi truck haul hay in and then splitting the cost of the hay and shipping. This might work for folks in your area if you can find enough folks willing to do this to make it affordable. I have a friend out here in Colorado who has really nice hay for sale. They currently have about 8000 bales in the hay barn and still a second cutting to go ( if it ever stops raining)[/SIZE]

PM me if anyone is interested and I'll give you her phone number. Their hay is grass and grass alfalfa mix.

Joy

Hay seems more available in my area this year than last, but the prices are EXTREMELY high, esp. for grass hay, which is simply not grown much if any, in this general area(far northern NM, or CO, is probably the closest). I used to be able to buy directly from suppliers, but I don't need enough for them to be willing to deliver to me anymore-they want to sell where they can bring a MAXIMUM load to ONE location(like a large user, or a feed store). I can't blame them, really, with fuel prices, but this policy has made my life more difficult; now I have to buy from a feed store, pay gross receipts tax, AND haul and unload hay myself(getting harder every day...). I am trying a nice beardless wheat hay, cut in the 'dough' stage, I think, for my 'big' horse this year; means I can get by with buying less of the VERY expensive grass hays(prices currently range from $7.95-$9.50/bale, before tax, and hauled/stacked myself, around here-for @ 45-50 lb. square bales.)I DO feed alfalfa-I NEVER buy a 'grown-mixed' hay, but instead, good alfalfa AND good grass, and mix it myself...and I have to take exception, BTW, with those who claim you should not feed 'straight alfalfa', cubes or otherwise...alfalfa CAN be quite high in protein, but the likelihood of the alfalfa used to make cubes being super high in that respect is VERY low, as it's NOT the 'super rich' alfalfa that is used for cubes-instead, it is fed to dairy cattle! CAREFUL management of how much you feed, of ANYTHING, and knowledge of what you've got, IS the important part....I will say that I DON'T buy alfalfa from a producer I don't know-and, I don't buy first cut(which around here is usually the 'richest', and what the dairies want.) I would NOT feed alfalfa as an 'only' hay to minis, but it is because good alfalfa is so high in overall nutritional value that if you give minis enough to keep them happy with how long it takes to ingest it, they would be 'way too fat! This brings me to what I think is what is most important to be remembered about 'doing without' hay...horses may well be able to get ALL of their nutritional needs filled by various 'complete' feeds--but they do NOT get their psychological, inate need to 'graze'/chew long fiber for a good part of every day filled by such feeds. When this is lacking, they will resort to wood eating, ground 'vacumning', cribbing, etc. -and/or, they are at increased risk for ulcers, due largely to acid production on an empty stomach, put simply. It behooves the owner to come up with ways to satisfy THAT need, for the horse's benefit!

My horses almost NEVER get to graze; this IS the (droughty, for several years now, worse than usual!) desert SW, and there just ISN'T grazing available! I DO feel a generous amount of hay, but have also 'gone to' 'complete' feeds(the ones that ''can be' fed with or without additional hay; I just adjust according to the directions for their weigh, age, etc. ), and I also feed soaked beet pulp pellets once daily--all this helps to 'stretch' the amount of hay I need, but leaves them still getting plenty. Hay pellets, and hay cubes, are better than NO form of hay, but still have downsides, as others have noted--possibility of choke; or to belie that, having to soak, becomes a big job, if you have numbers of horses; also, these STILL don't really satisfy that 'grazing' need. (I put the Palomino QH gelding I owned back around '65 on alfalfa cubes when boarding him near where we lived when I was in Las Cruces as a divorced single mother, teaching--he looked great, but began eating down the wooden corrals where he was living, and I had to move him, creating a big hardship for me. Those hay cubes just weren't satisfying his need to chew! )One suggestion: if having to use minimum hay, set up some sort of safe feeder that LIMITS what they can get in any single bite, requiring the horse to eat slowly and making the 'meal' last as LONG as possible....

I know more than one person now who has actually TRIED buying a semi-load of hay from somewhere else-it has not worked out. Hay turned out to be not as represented, in one way or another--or deal just fell through,for no good reason. Tempting as it may be, I wouldn't participate unless someone I knew who KNEW good hay, could SEE and could say this WAS good hay, and could verify other details, such as bale weight(most people are either abysmally bad at 'estimating' the weight of bales, OR, blatantly exaggerate!) If I am having to buy by the bale, I want to know ACCURATELY how much they weigh-and I have found most 'estimations' to be 'WAY off!

Just my opinions, based on around 50 years of buying hay MYSELF.

Margo

[SIZE=12pt]My friends hay averages around 65lbs a bale and runs about 5.50 each. I don't know if they give discounts on larger quantities like semis, I'd have to ask. But their hay is very nice and clean. I use it for my guys and will most likely make one trip a year out from Kansas once we move, to buy my years supply from them.[/SIZE]

They have had hay shipped as far as Florida off their farm.

Anyhow it was just a suggestion.

I don't know where you live but you can probably still order hay. We just ordered 500 bales the other week...not all of it has come yet. You can probably order out of state, that's what we had to do and then they delivered it. It's expensive but the horses need it, so...

I just had to post how envious I am of everyone's hay prices. We've been paying between $12-$14 a bale (100lb bales) for some pretty sorry grass hay.

Yet another reason to change up my own feeding program, I suppose.

Latest posts

Back