We clipped him- What color is THIS?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxjag2000

Reaction score
Okay... well at least we have ruled out palomino!

These are clipped pics of Jackpot- the colt with an unusual color I posted before. Clipping him gave us new insight into his color. To refresh- Dad is a golden buckskin out of a golden buckskin and a strawberry roan. Dam is black out of a leopard app. Everyone thought he was a silver buckskin before before, but after clipping him I am not so sure. I'd just thought I'd post them and see if anyone has an opinion about what color he might be.

The dark points extend all the way onto his rump and shoulders, which make me wonder if he's going to grey out. (A little hard to see in the photos, but they are pretty dark on the rump.)

showletter.jpg

These are his weanling pics:

Just born (we thought he was a palomino)

ms_colt_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He cant gray unless he has a gray parent. I still think he could be a palomino. Any chance he carries silver?

I would say either palomino or silver buckskin. I lean more towards palomino. My palomino roan pinto filly last year got dark points like that last Fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks to be a smutty palomino. What ever color he is, he sure is a looker!!!

Looks silver buckskin to me. In the newborn shot, looks like his tail has a bit of dark to it.

I would say he is a palomino as well. I have seen many palominos with the darker legs and that have that dark dappling up into the shoulders and hip. It is just a nice form of dappling, that says he is healthy and happy!!

If dad is a golden buckskin, and mom is black, Then where is everyone getting silver from? If both parents are black-based, wouldn't the silver show? I agree he LOOKS silver buckskin, with the darker legs, but I don't see how he could be with those parents? Or am I missing something?
default_wacko.png
:

I would have to agree with others who have said smutty palomino.

If dad is a golden buckskin, and mom is black, Then where is everyone getting silver from? If both parents are black-based, wouldn't the silver show? I agree he LOOKS silver buckskin, with the darker legs, but I don't see how he could be with those parents? Or am I missing something?
default_wacko.png
:

I would have to agree with others who have said smutty palomino.
Many "Silver-Buckskins" are registered as just "Buckskin". So, without see photos of the Buckskin sire, he could very well be carrying Silver.

Also, trying to decide what a horse's true color is after clipping......is very difficult. You should always view the horse's natural coat to see what their true color is.

Yes, I was scared clipping him would mask his true color, but I was dying to see what was under that fur. Her sire's sire is another golden buckskin- a grandson of buckeroo. I do not know of any grey in his background but that seems to pop up every now and then in some of our foals so I guess it's somewhere in there. This is the first foal from these two horses so I didn't know what to expect color-wise. His mane and tail are pure white- no greying.

Thanks for all the opinions on his color. I didn't know palominos sometimes have darker legs. I can't wait to see his color later this summer.

I do not know of any grey in his background but that seems to pop up every now and then in some of our foals so I guess it's somewhere in there.
You must mean silver dapple, because gray cant just pop up. THey have to have a gray parent to get a gray foal.

You must mean silver dapple, because gray cant just pop up. THey have to have a gray parent to get a gray foal.

Our last grey foal was out of a sorrel mare and a black pinto stallion. He was a dull grey with no dapples. I kept wishing for dapples too b/c the grey was so boring!

This is the grey foal with his dam:

http://www.agsminiaturehorses.20m.com/images/mm_colt_web.jpg

and his sire:

http://www.agsminiaturehorses.20m.com/images/gar240.jpg

No grey in the grandparents of the grey foal, so I have no idea where it came from. Wierd... I think our horses just like to be born unpredictable colors!

Jennifer, the colt you just posted the pic of is not a grey...he is a silver dapple. They do not always show their dapples well, if at all. After he gets older, maybe when he is slick in his summer coat, he will show some dappling.

Jennifer, the colt you just posted the pic of is not a grey...he is a silver dapple. They do not always show their dapples well, if at all. After he gets older, maybe when he is slick in his summer coat, he will show some dappling.

That's interesting. Thank you. I really like big fat dapples, so I was disappointed at how dull he is.

Yup, I agree with Mona, Jennifer that is definitely silver dapple and looks like mine did at birth, but their dappling can literally change how much from year to year. Also I also think the first is a palomino. Either way very pretty little ones

Back