Ways of hauling Manure /other things.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalMine

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'll start off by saying I don't know if this is posted in the right spot so bear with me!
default_smile.png

Now then I see in "farming with mini's thread" that a couple of people had some ideas on hauling manure.

One was a wheel barrel with shafts...How would a person make that?

My pony is a (roughly) 10.0 hh hackney (purebred ? cross?) pony. That has all the abilty to pull something useful, we've got all the harness ( both breast collar and reg. collar). but need some way of hauling manure...So I'd like your ideas on how you would build something for that purpose
default_biggrin.png

Thanks!

"CoalMine"

One idea to try in case it helps is offer it to neighbors! We have two neighbors who want it and the only issue we have is keeping track of who's turn it is next. One is able to get it up himself, and the other is not as physically able (both are elderly) so we haul it to him across the street. But just in case it could turn out you have local gardeners or hobby farmers who would actually come and remove it for you. I love it when that happens
default_yes.gif

I'll tell you how I do it, then answer the other question. I use muck buckets and dump then into my polaris ranger that has a dump bed. I dump back in the woods, we have what I call manure mountain. Although this time of year it is all gone becuase all the local gardeners have collected it by tractor and trailers. We are stocking up now for next year. Actually it is more of a compost as we also add dead vegatation and even clipped hair, but the locals love it and come every spring to load up.

As for what you are asking about the wheel barrow with shafts, I've never heard of such a thing but would assume it could be done, but would need some sort of dump mechanism. Try posting something on the driving forum, maybe one of them has such a device. Good luck with your quest.

Sorry let me clear up my question.
default_xbud.gif
I want to know ways of hauling manure with a pony. Because we have a large garden that has 3 foot strips for walk ways and around the whole garden has maybe a 3-5' walk way, and I need something for the pony to pull that will fit through that space. I also need a "something" that will be big enough to hold a couple (at least 3) 5 gal. pail fulls. And I'd like to see what other people have made themselves or what some good ideas would be...

I don't need to know how to haul manure with equipment..we've got a skid steer to do that...And we don't need a way to get rid of it....We've got plenty of fields to dispense our supply on..
default_yes.gif

I think "rabbitfizz" had the wheelbarrel idea... but for some reason or other I can't PM that user...

Thanks for your help anyway!
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a kid's wagon heavy duty with a muck bucket inside?Yard sale find? that would hold quite a bit.I use a muck bucket in 1 stall them roll it out to my wheelbarrow which won't fit down that narrow aisle.My barn is an old dairy barn retro fitted with stalls for Minis.

Both are good ideas.. How would you "do" the shafts? Can someone post closeup of shafts that are hooked to a wagon? I just need a picture to get an idea...

Thanks! I'm one step a head to finding out what will work...
default_biggrin.png

Last year hubby bought me a small dump trailer to pull behind my riding mower, it is narrow, around two and half feet wide and is made of metal. After looking at it today I thought with something like that you could weld shafts to it and use as a pony cart to haul. It wasn't expensive, but you would need to find some shafts and get someone to weld it together. Just a thought! He got it at Lowes.

Last year hubby bought me a small dump trailer to pull behind my riding mower, it is narrow, around two and half feet wide and is made of metal. After looking at it today I thought with something like that you could weld shafts to it and use as a pony cart to haul. It wasn't expensive, but you would need to find some shafts and get someone to weld it together. Just a thought! He got it at Lowes.
After looking at things to alter for a pony I found a wheel barrel at "Tractor Supply Co." that I thought would work...Here the link http://www.tractorsupply.com/groundwork-reg-mega-load-wheelbarrow-8-cu-ft--1006402

Do you think something like that would work? How would a person make and attach the shafts?

you could get a singletree, and not use shafts and make a drag to sit your muck buckets on and then dump where you need to in your garden spot.

This picture below is a single tree attached to a piece of plywood attached with just the traces. It worked beautifully and I'm sure it would work if you added a lip around the sides to keep the buckets from sliding off

kodakcamera537.jpg

This is the wheel barrel deal I was talking about.

"Taking out the feeds and moving manure is how I harness train!

They do hours of work before I actually drive them, and their first drive is usually back from taking the feeds out, over a drive they already know well. I have a two wheeled wheelbarrow, huge thing, that I have had shafts fitted to, and, although it is not elegant, it does the job!!

bertiecart2009006.jpg

I squat in the back like an overgrown garden gnome!"

..How would you alter a wheel barrel like that to shafts? Because that would work I think.
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back