Water Worx!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintponylvr

Reaction score
Thought I'd share these pics of "Chylly"s 2nd intro to water (the 1st was when the sky opened up the previous evening and the 60' round pen they are currently in was completely under water except for two high spots - hilarious to watch the 3 foals splashing around but no pics)... The water didn't stay long - by 7 am this morning @ 82* - the water was nothing but wet sand and the previous evening at the same time as these pics were taken the edge of the "pond" was hidden/completely underwater as the water ran all across the pasture...

Chylly was born 6 may 2016, so she is 6 weeks old here. Before "Water Worx!" -

16jun16chy1732.jpg

16jun16chy1738.jpg

16jun16chy1766.jpg

16jun16chy1768.jpg

Then she decided she wanted to go back to mum - while pulling away she went up ... & over. Sierra kept her head out of the water, but the splash was tremendous! Blurry, but...

16jun16chy1771.jpg

And back up...

16jun16chy1772.jpg

W/i a minute or so of the flip -

16jun16chy1777.jpg

16jun16chy1778.jpg

Her last exit of our "pond" for the evening.

16jun16chy1779.jpg

She then got introduced to the hose - to wash the icky sand and one spot of pond mud/scum off. She did awesome! I think she likes being a "water pony".

Ideally, we would have worked with her again this evening but by 7 am this morning the water was gone leaving just a small spot of wet sand. And we didn't get the two 5 week old foals worked with...
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
THANX, Mona!

This filly is really "lite" to handle now. She's leading great - w/o a butt or body rope. With mom, w/o mom, leaving mom in roundpen, mom leaving round pen. I love it when they learn like this. Makes life so much easier!

She will be getting her hooves trimmed this Friday, think it will be the 3rd time? Have to check. Hopefully, this will bring her the rest of the way up onto her hooves properly. Don't expect her to be a problem, LOL.

We had BAD thunderstorms all day the 28th of June and by the time i got home at 5:45 pm, the sky was cloudy but it had quit raining. As I pulled into the drive and down, our youngest daughter was in the pasture with "Chylly" - hanging out at the pond. It wasn't as deep as the last time, but still plenty of water for more "water worx"...

Neither "Koal" or "Jynx" has had as much in hand work as "Chylly", so I walked into the pond with them.... with my paddock boots on and a good pair of knit pants. Oh well, they wash...
default_smile.png

Here is "Koal" - he is 6 1/2 weeks old. This is the first time leading w/o a butt or body rope and we are out of the round pen while his dam stayed in it! He did awesome. I did drop a loop of lead around his butt a couple of times when he got "sticky" rather than pulling on his head. The "kink" stayed in his tail most of the time we were in the water - until it got completely wet, LOL.

16jun28koal1746c.jpg

16jun28koal1748d.jpg

16jun28koal1748i.jpg

16jun28koal1750m.jpg

16jun28koal1750a.jpg

16jun28koal1752j.jpg

And here is "Jynx" - also her first time outside the round pen - a long ways away from her dam!

16jun28jynx1801a.jpg

Her expression - "OMG - is that a fish down there??? It's gonna EAT MEEEEEEE!" (it wasn't & it didn't)

16jun28jynx1801d.jpg

16jun28jynx1801g.jpg

16jun28jynx1801p.jpg

16jun28jynx1802q.jpg

16jun28jynx1803.jpg

Well, the next day (yesterday) the "pond" was all dried up again, just a bit of muddy sand at the wettest spot. Didn't work babies last night, but will again this evening.

Had an exciting morning/early afternoon - the girls "rode" the ponies they have chosen. Gracie, our more reticent, fearful grand daughter has chosen a mare that is not trained to ride yet (the girls don't understand that sitting on them bareback for a few minutes is not the same as riding with a squeaky, new saddle and new sensations... Cheri is doing good, but...). Today, she was extra reactive (partially due to being in season) and she jumped a few times - totally upsetting Grace. She did learn that when the scream stopped, so did the pony (who was just as big eyed and shaky as our grand daughter at that point)! I spent some extra time having both girls lead about and stand/sit in the saddle - the when Grace got off, I took Cheri and worked her for a while longer in the round pen. I hadn't realized she was that full of snort and blow - I could/should have worked her hard(er) first - before Grace mounts and "rides". Will next time... I also might have convinced Grace that we need to switch her to a different, more "solid" pony for a while.

Gwen is riding GG. While GG is also not trained to ride, she IS fully harness trained and drives both single and pair and has been exposed to a lot more than Cheri.

Latest posts

Back