Warm Springs Indian Reservation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
The Warm Springs Indian Tribe here in Central Oregon have horses they run loose on the reservation (these are NOT the famous Warm Springs Mustangs from SE Oregon) for years they've bred indiscriminately and sold the foals in horrible condition at the horse auction in Madras. This week they are holding an auction on the reservation. They have openly said (it's all over our local news) that every horse not sold will be killed immediately after the auction. The Humane society and local rescue groups are planning on buying as many as possible.

This whole situation disgusts me but I'm urging people to do something I never thought I'd find myself doing.....

PLEASE...don't go and don't buy these horses. While it breaks my heart to even feel that way - here's my reasoning...

I speak from experience, because I've talked to one of the guys bringing foals to the auction a few years ago. I asked him why he's letting his foals go for $50, full of worms and badly nurished. He told me up front - "why not". It costs them NOTHING to produce these foals. The animals run loose on the reservation and nothing is done with them. They get no shots, no worming and no vet care. If a foal is produced it's $50 clear profit.

If people go there and bid on these horses it does nothing but reward this dreadful behavior. I'm 100% aware that it's a death sentence to any horse not sold but I really think this is something we have to look long term at. For every $50 they earn this weekend it's just more reason to turn them back out to breed again. They do it to get those few dollars and don't care if it comes from a genuine "shopper" or a rescue group...in the end it's all money! If people were to look at the good of the horses long term you can see that if people stopped encouraging this reckless breeding and no one buys then perhaps a lesson would be learned.

I don't know what the answer is, I really don't and the thought of all of those horses who are going to be killed this weekend through no fault of their own breaks my heart but rewarding it is just going to cause it to be done again. I'm usually such a practical person, I know life isn't always roses - but today there are horses out their living their lives the way they should and in a few days they will be killed because the people who own them don't care.

If the horses are part of a larger culture issue then run them wild but run only mares and geldings. Hold out a few really nice studs and perhaps one every 4 or 5 years run one with a band of mares. Here in Oregon they're competing in a market already flooded with victims of the recession and dozens of BLM mustang herds producing hundreds of unwanted horses themselves.

default_no.gif
Sorry, but I just had to vent on this one! I believe the only answer lies with no breeding policy, not a breed and kill what doesn't sell one.

What a horrible situation! I must say I think I agree completely with your conclusion though. Anyone who buys one of these horses is unfortunately encouraging this greedy practice.

I have to agree that horses being bought from this auction will just encourage these people to continue doing what they are doing, which is overproducing feral, uncared for horses. It would be much more intelligent (not to mention humane) to prevent the foals from being born in the first place than to have a "fire sale" and kill those that aren't sold. I just wish that this surprised me, but after all these years of seeing what human beings are capable of, I'm sorry to say that it doesn't.
default_sad.png

Good grief! Did you read the comments after the article? Rubbish! This is about using the were going to kill them if you dont buy them from us card correct? The comments have just turned into another boo hiss about horse slaughter. Not about the methods being used to guilt trip people into buying these poor animals.
default_no.gif

I agree! It's the same reason not to support pet shops and puppy mills. If people wouldn't reward these practices they would be much less commonplace.

Didnt look at the link, however I agree that buying after a 'guilt trip' being forced on people is not the way to go about it.......

How sad! How much does just a tube of wormer cost? It's too bad they see this as a cheap way to make $50 rather than raise GOOD QUALITY healthy horses that would sell for MUCH more and be something to be proud of. Then they would have buyers come from further away to purchase quality animals that are worth the trip.

Things like this purely disgust me.... maybe they need to geld or sell all their stallions or something instead of continuing to breed more that are not selling and just stop it all together?? Gosh, that would make sense to me.

The sale is over and here is a link to a video of the horses that Equine Oregon Rescue was able to purchase and save. These are some very healthy looking pretty horses from what I can see.

The rescue group purchased 32 and private donations purchased the rest that were "left over" after the 32 the rescue group had money for !!!!!!!!!!!

32 !!! That's 32 plus horses that these irresponsible breeders made money on that they will breed again for next year. 32 PLUS horses that these breeders would have been happy looking in the eyes while they shot a bullet into their brains (if they were lucky to go that fast and didn't have to have their throats slit while still alive like kosher animals).

Sorry but I'm FUMING !

Yep, because these folks continue to buy them, they know they will get money and will keep breeding... wonder how much they pulled in this year for their free horses?! And the cycle continues............

Latest posts

Back