Wanted Fantasy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWC sr.

Reaction score
Earlier today I got an email from a lady stating her husband had agreed to let her have a miniature horse, After much reading on the web she had decided her budjet could not exceed 4 -500.00 and she was looking for the following:

National Quality

6 - 19 months old

Overo Pinto

Filly

Straight legs

Level top line

dishy head

with a long neck like one of those arabian horses

I answered her back and told her we had nothing that would fill that bill, but if we could help her with care etc. feel free to contact us after she found her horse. She lives about 5 miles from us here in Santa Fe.

She proceeded to call me and I spent a half hour or so explaining that yes the market had been depressed somewhat over the last couple of years. But it was recovering and she was going to have a hard time finding what she was looking for in that kind of price range. But now was a good time to be in the market for decent to good horses was still depressed with some breeders.

I also told her we have sold all of our surplus horses from the 2012 crop and had nothing for sale. But she was welcome to come over and we would show her what we look for in a show horse and that information might help her in her quest to find her dream horse. She made an appointment for Saturday and we hung up.

Just a few minutes ago, she called again to cancelled her appointment and informed me she had indeed found exactly what she had been looking for and in her price range too on line from a lady in Oklahoma. I started trying to warn her about taking it slow, get more information, maybe go to a show to watch show horses and she could still come out if she wanted as again we have nothing to sell her. She stated that it would not be a good idea for her to waste her time as she was ready to buy now.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to vent a little. What can you do when folks are so hard headed and will not let you help them, so they don't make the mistakes we all have in the past. At least I know we did when we got in the hobby 30+ years ago. I tried!

Oh well we will see her down the raod I bet!
default_giveup.gif
default_frusty.gif
:frusty
default_frusty.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Try not to say "I told you so" when she comes to you in a week or a month crying over something that went wrong with her "perfect horse" from OK. [Not that you would, but I had to say it, anyway.]

And, I have to say, how generous of you to offer help and information, and so much more. I know this is what we all should do, but many don't if there isn't a sale first.

Like you we have been around in this industry for a long time and when we got started we spent a lot of money and made a lot of mistakes. LOL I am sure folks already here in the industry laughed among themselves at some of the stupid stuff I did.

I remember one time I wanted a "Indian Horse", you know a really loud pinto tri-colored with a wild pattern. We went out to a breeder/trainer here in the general area and he had one that I fell in love with.
default_thumbup.gif

I was going to buy it immediately and Cindy said " But John look at those crooked legs, weak rear end and ugly head" You can't be serious" Rather idignantly said I sure was.. I told the trainer that I would take him and could he explain how much he was doing to chrage for training and showing him for me. He got kind of green around the gills and said, let me show you another horse or two that I might show for you but that one I won't train. Needless to say, that brought me around ( along with my wifes laughter) and we did not purchase anything from him.

default_frusty.gif

Our deal around here is that it does not cost anymore to feed and care for a good one, than one with problems built in. LOL We (Belinda Bagby and I) looked for Majic for two full years before Belinda found him for me. We could not be happier with him, after national championships, Hall of Fame etc. I wish the lady luck and it will sure be hard not to say I told you so or you should have listened. But I will be a good boy and keep my mouth shut!! I won't have too, you already said it for me. LOL
default_pray.gif

Oh my, well I would think she will see the error of her ways in time
default_wink.png
. How kind of you to try to help,I wish I had had someone that near to learn from when I started out. It would have made the learning curve a bit less steep and we could have saved a lot of time and money. I salute your attempt at least. We have someone who came to one of our club meetings last summer all excited because she had purchased some minis. When we collectively suggested she geld her unregistered stallion and not breed him to her also unregistered mares she was horrified... "But, the sale of the babies will pay for the hay each year..." She emailed me in October looking for a place to board 4 mares a 3 month old colt, a yearling stallion and the adult stallion, her husband wasn't going to be available to use the snowblower to clear a path and she would not be able to get to the barn in the snow (Barn is only about 100yards from the house and she is physically well as is her teenage daughter...) ????

I have a friend who raises catle. She is always after me to "Breed everything" I told her I can't (yet) eat the ones that don't turnout like she can! Does this lady understand it's going to cost to get the horse from OK? I'm sure she hooked up with someone who saw a sucker on the other end of the line.

I couldn't tell you how many times we get people who want Minis or ponies that ride, drive, show, jump/whatever but only want to pay $300-400. 'Cause they can "get one at auction for THAT!".

At least she wasn't one of the "get me a pix of this, a video of that, does s/he do this, will you come down on price...etc" and after you do all that they fall off the face of the earth! At least TELL me if you've changed your mind or something else as come up! Sheesh!

Let's see what happens down the road when she has problems- if she'll call you to "fix" them!

I have been there too. While I am out of breeding, I did find it quite upsetting to selectively purchase broodmares, or nice fillies to raise, see how they turned, and decide if I would breed them. Then add a nice stud into the mix,Vaccinations, hoof care, dental, doing it all correctly by the book, raising a foal, and having someone insult me with an insanely low offer on a nice horse, or worse yet, a low low price on a great broodmare.

There are those of us that will discount to those homes that have parents that stand behind their kids and are getting into showing with 4-h or one of the registries, or good repeat customers. And on the other hand, we can also spot someone feeding us a line of poo from a mile away. I am sure we have all heard it, field of dreams, your first line sums it up.

Guess what folks, go to the auction, buy your horse, and take your chances, sometimes you will win and sometimes you will loose. I knew what I had, how they were cared for, if they wanted to use the line that they didn't know me from Adam and may end up receiving the horse and it was in poor condition, because it has happened before, then keep moving, my horses were not for those individuals. Nothing like being insulted by someone saying that they want a cheaper price because a horse may or may not be in crappy condition when they get it (which was not the case with my horses, they were very well cared for and well fed)!!! In most cases though, these aren't the uneducated individuals mentioned in the original post, the type I am referring to are the well seasoned individuals that know what to say to get a steal of a deal, usually with no intention of keeping it......

All we can do is direct them to sites to educate themselves on quality animals and those that endorse quality care of their animals while pointing out the many different levels of care and showing and that winning a top placement in color may not be equal to winning in halter or driving. It really does feel like life beats you down when one finds themselves conversing with some individuals.

Well John, you tried... that's all you can do. Will Rogers had a saying that went something like this that I think fits the situation.

"There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few that learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

You can tell where this one fits in............

Well John, you tried... that's all you can do. Will Rogers had a saying that went something like this that I think fits the situation.

"There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few that learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

You can tell where this one fits in............
Bwhahahahahaha!!!!!

Latest posts

Back