Very sick baby at Paradise Ranch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbie

Reaction score
Hi all-

Kristy asked me to post this as she is just too exhausted at this time. Kristy (Island Miniatures) has had a sick foal since Saturday - projectile diarrhea, temp, lack of interest in nursing, etc. Star Man has been on fluids, immodium, SMZ's, banamine and I don't know what else since then. After advising her over the phone, Doc Shiver came out Monday - changed antibiotic as he thinks it's salmonella. I didn't talk to her last night but from her e-mail get the impression he really isn't doing very well. I know there has been a lot of requests for prayers and good wishes, but if you've got any to spare, please send them Star Man's way - and Kristy's too.

Thanks,

Barbie

Praying for a quick recovery for the little one.

Barbie to slow down or stop the diarrhea tell her to try metamucil -mix some with water and syringe it in the foals mouth carefully.

Sending prayers
default_sad.png

Definite prayers coming for Star Man and Kristy!

Believe me, I know that the prayers from this Forum Family help. We have just been through a trauma with our filly and I know how tired and exhausted a person can get.

We are so fortunate to have this wonderful support group for our very precious little horses!!

I am praying for you baby too! I hope he has a speedy recovery.

So sad when they get sick.

Beth

Hi Gals ~

Sending prayers your way. If anyone can get Star Man back on track, it's Kristy!!!!!

Keep us posted when you can.

Adding them to my prayers to.

I am not a Vet, but this is what happen to us.

Also please tell her to make sure they do NOT have a SALT block in the stall with the foal.

It may not be this, but this happen to me last year. I had one in the stalls, 2 of our foals

became obessed with them. Both got dierrehea bad. Many trips to the vet and tons of test done.

All came back okay, could not find the reason. We found out from someone on the forum. And

removed the salt blocks, and it took us a month to clear the foals up. Her's maybe different, but

I would make sure they don't have a salt block.

Vicky

You sure have our thoughts and prayers and all the good luck I can send your way.

JJay

Hi all-

Here's a copy of an e-mail Kristy sent out a little while ago to those on her foaling list - sounds like our Forum Family has come through again - I'm sure he's not out of the woods yet, but sounds like the prayers are working - one more time. I can truly vouch for the prayer power of the Forum as a week from Saturday my little Dawn will celebrate her first birthday (she's in our avatar) with a birthday party at Kristy's. Kristy and I may not have met most of you, but thanks a million for the support. Now, here's Kristy from her e-mai:

"Thanks to ALL of U:) Star Man seems to have made a turn for the better this AM. Started last Saturday, they all came in at feeding time, little Starman, 5 weeks old, was kinda dragging behind, he did not join the others to nibble grain, (NOT NORMAL). Mares udder was huge and bulging, he was not eating. I stopped and just watched for awhile. Then he lifted his tail a watery diarrhea shot out. VERY BAD !! Brought him in immediately, took temp, 103.5, norm is 100, gave him a shot of Banamine. His gums very pale, no blood return. Called Vet. We started him on SMZ's ( antibiotic) 2 x's a day, electrolytes 2 to 3 ounces every 2 hours, forever..and Imodium AD every 5 hrs around the clock. Hours of watching him... By Monday things had not improved much. We changed the Antibiotic to one that would address the problem which at this point we are thinking the dreaded Ecoli or Salmonella, (DEATH). I had a foal a few years back, same thing and she dropped dead in 12 hours. The diarrhea has a horrible smell you never forget ! By Tuesday eve after 3 1/2 days of backbreaking nursing and getting up all night to go give meds I was feeling like I needed to go to the hospital, Very hard to think, thank God I document everything I do. I had to go to the Airport Tues to ship Kittens, I was horrified to leave him. I left at 3 and was back by 5:30, record breaking drive. Tuesday eve at 11 PM I gave him more electrolytes , slept til 3AM back out to give Imodium. This AM, Wednesday, went out to barn and there he stood, NURSING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, nibbled some hay, just looked better all around. I allowed he and his Mom to go out in a small pasture lot, (quaranteened from others) and he was nibbling grass. I hope this is his turn around. The Prayers helped, thank you all so much. We are still not out of the woods, but I do see improvement. I still have to continue the things that I am doing, if I can. But I think he will make it. Not easy being me, BUT "Life is GOOD"

Barbie

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back