Very sad times

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcr

Reaction score
You know the saying "What else could go wrong?" I stopped saying that a few months ago because just when I thought it couldn't get worse it just kept getting worse. Some of you may remember that back in August I had a heart attack. Since then times have really been tough financially but I have plugged along and paid off everyone who worked with me. Unfortunately I didn't have insurance and the hospital hasn't worked with me and I am facing bankruptcy just to deal with the hospital bill.

The really horrible thing is I have to disperse my horses. As many of you know, they aren't inanimate objects but living, breathing, hairy children. It just rips my heart out to think of losing them and looking out on empty stalls and paddocks. I can hardly sit here and type this it is so painful.

Sorry but just had to vent.

Oh Kathi,

I am so sorry. I will keep you in my prayers that something wonderful happens and that you don't have to do this. Please take care of your health, stress takes such a toll. God Bless you!

Robin

Sorry to hear Kathi!!!
default_sad.png
Maybe you can sell them to friends as a "loan." Then buy them back when things get better?? Is there anyway for governement to help out with bills??

I am so very sorry you are being faced with this....such a hard situation, and heartbreaking for sure. (((HUGS)))

I'm so sorry Kathi. Some things are just not fair!
default_sad.png
Please take care of yourself........no matter what your health is #1.

Carol

I don't know about this for sure, but I've always heard that if you pay something each month to a hospital, medical bill, etc., they cannot take legal action against you. Check this out with an attorney, because I have heard that as little as $10.00 per month can keep you "safe". It would probably not keep them from harrassing you by phone and etc., but it could stop them from legal action. I sure hope it could help you!

Sorry for what is happen to you.

Just took a look at your horses, wish you where closer would of been interested in

:Wards Creek Here Comes Trouble: Good Luck to you, sorry you have to sell such nice looking horses.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just Us N Texas took the words out of my mouth!

I'd always thought that if you were showing "an effort" to pay, they couldn't do much against you......except perhaps the phone calls and letters, of course.

Be sure to check all you options before you do anything drastic!

You may also want to look into leasing a horse or two out to someone for a year.......This would give a person some joy, you could keep an eye on the horse, and still own it, but not be having to fork out the expense of maintaining it for awhile.

Wish I had some great advice to add to what has already been suggested. I will have to settle for telling you not to give up. I am hoping things improve and you can find some way to not loose everything you have worked so hard to build. I will keep you in my thoughts.

I've always heard that if you pay something each month to a hospital, medical bill, etc., they cannot take legal action against you. Check this out with an attorney, because I have heard that as little as $10.00 per month can keep you "safe".

Hospital bills have to be paid off in 3 months. However, what most hospitals do is refer you to a Financial Assistance company. We use HealthFirst Solutions at my hospitals. You would take out a loan with them and they pay off your bill. The loan is flexible monthly payments and 0% interest.

The only option the hospital gave me was $1500/month for 3 years. I sent in all the paperwork they wanted and still said it was incomplete. Didn't work with me at all. I have been sending $50 a month but they sent me straight to collections.

The sad thing is I had turned in the paperwork for my insurance 2 days before my heart attack so it hadn't taken effect yet. Until that point I was debt free except my mortgage and monthly bills. I have an appointment with an attorney before I have to file court papers.

I am sooo fortunate to have really good friends in Sandy at Total Eclipse and Michelle at Wesco Farm. They have been my rock and have said just the right things at the right times. Sandy told me the other day, It's just money. She is so right as I look around and realize I can buy back anything I have to get rid of but the horses. Once they are gone, they're gone. My only consolation is that I have about a month to place them and then it is probably out of my hands.

Kathi you know I've got your back no matter what you decide! Hang in there girlfriend! Everytime we talk on the phone I just want to be able to reach through the lines and give you a hug. Keep the good thoughts and prayers coming....Kathi needs them right now. {{{{HUGS}}}} I'm still praying that with some mediation they'll come up with a reasonable payment plan.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry you are having to go thru this...I was exactly where you are now back in 2004. I hope that your situation turns out better than mine (I lost my truck in the backruptcy along with having to sell my horses :DOH! ). I will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Talk to your lawyer.

Medical collections will TRY to take the tough stance with you, but they can't get blood from a stone, as it were. You just have to convince them you're a stone.

And make sure whatever agreement you get with them, demand they also provide you with a letter stating as soon as the debt is fufilled, they will have the negative items removed from your credit. Many medical agencies just let that crap sit there, even after it's been settled.

We are going through this with my husband. Honestly I wont lie, I refused to pay any of his medical bills at first. We are working to get them paid now. We lost just about everything we had, including our jobs due to illness, and had to move into my parents basement. We're getting back on our feet again, but still have around $7,000 in debt.

In our situation once my husband was turned into a credit agency they were much more willing to take payments. I said listen up, neither of us have a job(we both do now), your not the only person we owe money for medical bills and you'll either take the $50 a month we can afford, or nothing and in 8 years it will be off of his credit anyway.

They are taking the $50 per month.

ANYWAY good luck to you, and keep your chin up. Eventually things will tart getting better, just might take a while.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulty you're having.

Is it a for sure thing the horses have to go? Only reason I ask is a friend had

to take the bankruptcy route and she was able to keep her horses as they added

to her income, in which to pay her bills and get a new start, I think she said was how

they explained it. Lawyer should be able to advise you the best. Good Luck.

Back