Veggie Recipes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I'm trying to incorperate more vegetables in my husband and my's diet. The problem is, we mostly eat salads, potatoes, peas, carrots, corn, and green beans, which gets boring. I'd like to try some easy (simple) recipes with maybe spinach and squash/zucchini. Does anyone have some tasty recipes for veggie side dishes? I'm not big on oil tastes, so anything dressed in oil won't work.

Zucchini is good sautee`d whatever seasoning you like. [i've only had it sautee`d with butter, but I'm sure there is something tasty out there with fewer calories.

I've stir-fried brocolli, sugar peas (in shell), carrots and onions in a wok with a touch of oil and then seasoned (I usually just use a packaged stir-fry mix, so loaded with salt, but there are probably low sodium varieties available in bigger areas). You can add pretty much any veggie you want.

Baby spinach salad is good or just add the baby spinach to your normal salads to add a little something.

I eat a lot of veggies, but don't know that I have any special recipes...

One thing that is really yummy and low cal / low carb is to bowl some cauliflower (either frozen or fresh) and then mash it up, but some salt, a little butter maybe some milk and garlic, etc... mock mashed potatoes! I didn't even think I liked cauliflower, but this is good and easy.

We eat green beans a lot. I don't get tired of them really... I like canned ones and you could eat a whole can if you wanted and it's only about 80 calories.

Also it's good and low cal to take a jar of unsweetened apple sauce and add some artificial sweetner (Splenda / Equal) and cinnamon, and a dash of salt.

Frozen chopped broccoli is handy, too, to add to lots of kinds of casseroles or probably even like mac and cheese, to kind of "stretch" the amount you can eat for the number of calories you want to have.

Tomatoes are so good, too, especially a little later in the summer... just on the side with a little salt.

Marinated cucumbers have nearly no calories if you make them with artificial sweetener... just peel and slice the cucumbers, and to taste make a mixture of vinegar, water, and sweetener. You can (or at least I do) re-use the marinade a few+ times, just maybe perk it up with a little more vinegar and sweetener.

Another favorite of mine, no recipe required (LOL!) is just frozen mixed veggies... they are economical and I think more nutrition than most fresh veggies in the store (which have been in transit so long, vs. frozen quickly). Just put a little salt water in a pan and the amount of veggies you want, bring the water to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer for 5mins or so.

For me, I love having like a variety of things to eat on my plate, and I just try to eat mostly veggies, and then the "main dish" in a smaller amount. Now I crave veggies, which did not used to be the case. We're also going to put in a veggie garden which we never have done before and that will make it more fun, I think, to make and eat the veggies.

default_eat.gif

Baked sweet potatoes.

Rosemary/garlic roasted new potatoes.

Steamed kale. Very, very, nutritious.

Green bean bundles or asparagus bundles. With either mist with EVOO, wrap bacon strips around a bundle. Bake 12 minutes, then broil 4 minutes to cook the bacon, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Turnip greens with hot water cornbread as a side.

Zucchini. It is what we had tonight and it was delish. My neighbor gave me some today and I turned on the cooking channel and searched under zucchini. I saw this and improvised it a bit. I cooked it on a little indoor grill that was given to us by friends who were down-sizing. It is a light weight electric grill called the Aroma Health Grill.

I sliced zucchini in 1/2 " rounds. Preheated the grill and sprayed it with olive oil. Cooked the zucchini 3 minutes, flipped, and cooked 3 more minutes. I transferred it to a foil lined cookie sheet, sprinkled on Italian herbs, and with a pastry brush spread on heated spaghetti sauce. Topped it off with fresh slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. Baked in oven at 350 until cheese was melted. It was yummy!

You know what is good, too? Kale chips. Drizzle olive oil and sea salt and stick them in the oven. I don't remember at what temp or for how long :/ I also love that Naked green juice. I use it to lower my inflammation after all of my heath issues last year. I know people really go off on Naked juice because it isn't usda organic or certified GMO free. But where else can you find a green drink with garlic and spirulina in it that tastes good? ALso, instead of eggplant parm, I would like to use zucchini and summer squash. I bet it would be just as good or better! Naked green machine will help with venous insufficiency and reducing inflammation. I know this because it will make you pee and pee.

Latest posts

Back