Vaccines for foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wc minis

Reaction score
Just wondering when you give your foals their first shots? Also if you were not able to give the mare hers 30 days before foaling if that makes a difference when you give the shots to the foals? Thanks
default_smile.png

I am too new to this to be confident enough to provide an answer to this. This is just my second foaling season, so I, too, would like to hear some answers to this.

SO I AM BUMPING YOU!

Some of you more
default_biggrin.png
experienced breeders please answer!!

Thanks for bumping it up nnadams
default_smile.png
I was just trying to see what others do.

What our Vet recommends. for foals within the first 24 hours.

Vit E

Anti Tetanus

1 shot of penicillin given for three days. (our vet recommends to be safe no bacteria

has entered the umbilical cord.) I believe that is why?

dip the cord in Iodine first day twice and again the next day.

rabies at 4 months

deworm mare and give her also Tetanus if not given before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foals get their first shots around 5 or 6 mos. of age (or upon weaning). My mare(s) get their pre-foaling 4-way shot (tetanus, flu, EEE, WEE) 4-8 weeks prior to foaling.

I believe there are some studies out now (have to find them) that recommend no flu vac for foals before 8 mo or so (can't recall the exact time). The flu vac apparently interfers with the antibodies from the dam and is counterproductive to the foal.

Here, babies are born and the navel is sprayed with either 1% iodine or Novalsan several times a day for about 5 days. Within the first 12 hrs of life (sooner the better), the foal is given an E Coli Antigen liquid. If the dam has not received a 5 way a month prior to foaling, then the foals will begin shots around 4 months (no flu). If the mares have received the 5 way prior to foaling, then the foals begin shots around 6 months (no flu).

I am thinking there was a past post recently on LB that listed a link to the new recommendations- you might try a search for that info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back