Vaccine Protocol

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
I have vaccinated my horses year after year for the full range of diseases, VEWT Flu/Rhino, Rabies, etc but I am really rethinking this approach. Most vets, and mine included, still advocate the annual vaccination approach but there are some who don't. Read Vaccine Protocol on depaoloequineconcepts.com, he is a holistic vet.. He maintains that horse and human immune systems function the same, yet we vaccinate our kids as babies only and our horses annually for life. I know folks who don't vaccinate their horses annually and don't seem to have any higher incidence of disease than others, but stopping isn't something to do without giving it serious thought.

DePaolo's protocol is to vaccinate babies after weaning and at one year. He says they should have lifetime immunity to most diseases after that. Any thoughts? What do you all do? Show horses that travel and have a higher rate of exposure especially concern me, but constant vaccination is also a health challenge and an expense.

Jan

If over vaccinating is of concern to you, the best alternative is to get titres done to make sure the immunity is still present. When the body runs borderline, vaccinate.

This is what they do for older animals or animals with compromised immunities to avoid vaccinating more than necessary.

This discussion about vaccinations should exclude pregnant mares and foals.

Immunity for some diseases can last a long time (nothing is for life). Tetanus immunity probably lasts for far over a year. But other diseases mutate and thus immunity wouldn't last very long at all and maybe only a few months, rhino and flu are examples.

West Nile immunity might wane, but the verdict is still out.

Potomac Fever needs a very high protection level because the bacteria 'hides' from the host's immune system.

In other species 'over vaccination' can lead to deadly diseases. I know of no disease caused by any equine vaccine. Vaccination reactions tend to have a low mortality and are pretty transient.

In the end, I believe choosing to not vaccinate is more of a monetary rather than a health issue.

Dr. Taylor

Testing for titers sounds nice, but research has not be done to prove what level is truly protective. It is more of an educated guess than a known fact.

Dr. Taylor

From what I have read, titers are not reliable enough for me to put a lot of faith in, and I dont know how you make that call in the long run. It is partly a financial decision for anyone I think, but my concern - and interest in discussing it - is the question of over vaccination. Dr Taylor, I agree that mares & foals are not the place to make changes
default_smile.png
. But what about horses who have been vaccinated every year for 5 years, 10 years... ? Why would my tetanus be good for 10 years but my horse's only for a year, barring injury or puncture wounds? Certainly not advocating anyone change what they do, just food for thought.

Jan

Jan... I've heard that horses are far more likely to get punctures and also be exposed to tetanus in soil and such because they don't live as hygienic of lives as humans.

I stated above that tetanus immunity in the horse probably does last more than a year, but I doubt it lasts as long as humans. Why? I don't know. Dogs and cats get tetanus so rarely that we don't even vaccinate them for it. Why? I do not know.

In the end 'over vaccinating' is of very little medical risk to the horse, but how much do you want to pay and what are you willing to risk?

Dr. Taylor

Back