vaccinations for older horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
Just wondering if older horses 26,24 and 23 still need to get spring shots.I have had 2 of them since birth and the 24 yr old for 22 years and they have had shots every spring.They usually get Rabies, West Nile,and a 9 way which includes flu, rhino, tetanus and enceph sp??. I know with older dogs vets stop giving shots.Hope Dr Taylor or another vet will check in.We do our own shots here and have done for the past 20 years.

When my gelding got to his senior years, his last 4-5 years with me, I dropped his vaccines to just a 3-way (sleeping sickness with tetanus); he didn't leave the ranch and had been vaccinated his whole life. Not sure if you want to go that basic with the series of shots they have been receiving; but you may be able to reduce the number of shots they get, especially if they don't leave home.

Is west Nile big in your area? If so I would keep doing it. I had two mares come down with it. One really bad only a 20% chance she would make it till next morning. Needles to say after thousands of dollars she pulled through. But has some neurological problems. The other mare was better after acupuncture and holistic drops.

Back