VA state Fair 2009

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyn_j

Reaction score
I just got a call from Rachael who is acting superintendant for the fair. A meeting was held today without any of the R Farms present as was orriginally planned. Present were two fair reps, Tricia Bartoo, Rachael Hodges and Sandra Dowdy VRS 4H leader.

It was previously planned that the Hooks, and I would be present at the planning meeting. That didnt happen.

Class lists were discussed, Also the group decided that it would cost too much to have an AMHR judge, quoted 1000 for two days , actually a day and a half, and 400 for steward. They didnt want to spend.

They are also not going to offer ribbons, some other token. there will be payback in all performance classes with 8 or more.

I am pretty upset by this and they will NOT get my entries

Everything was decided without any people other than 4 h individuals there. I feel like those of us who have spent hundreds of dollars to support this show were not even consulted. We 4 pages of us signed a petetion at last years fair to do this as a rated show which it used to be.

I feel this is moving backwards rather than forwards for the equine industry. Arabs and paints and oalaminos are no longer included because there numbers dropped below 50.

If three major AMHR exhibitors did not show they would be lucky to have 20 entres.

Had to vent.

Lyn

Oh man!
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

I knew Tricia had been working towards having an AMHR show, which would have been awesome and we would have brought 5 or more horses. I seriously doubt we'll be showing there now though
default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png

This really is disappointing
default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png

Jill , Make sure you send her an e mail to that effect. It just upsets me that those of us who signed the petetion and were supposed to be part of the planning didnt even get invited to the meeting! We would have raised the revenue considerably with R horses from several states...... they dont realize that I guess.

Lyn

Wow, Lyn! I sure don't blame you for being upset! How very disappointing!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your frustration. It's not just going to be VA but other shows are trying to cut back on their expenses. The problem is how to convince them that cutting back will only hurt them more because many of us that came won't show up with less judges or bad facilities. It's worrisome because, if we don't go where we don't agree with how they run the show, it will more than likely result in those shows being canceled completely. We already complain that there aren't enough shows available (in areas other than Okla. - I mean really, you people are overly blessed). What can we do!!

Unfortunately, I have never found the VA State Fair people to be co-operative with this section of the show. Got uninvolved years ago when they were seemingly more interested in a "fun" show than a serious horse show. Granted the idea of a State Fair is for all to participate and enjoy but, if they want to draw the numbers they need to support this portion, they need to look beyond the casual ones who have little interest in promoting minis & registries.

It's a little odd, if you think about it. I mean they look to the BEST of the livestock brought in but feel they can short the horses. Head in the sand? Not enough input? Why did they not include you when the plan was to do so? I'd be writing some letters --- include everyone on the petition!!! The Fair isn't being fair, IMO.

AND I'm from VA
default_new_shocked.gif

Got uninvolved years ago when they were seemingly more interested in a "fun" show than a serious horse show.

I would have to disagree with this kind of thinking. Some people have unregistered or WC only minis that they like to show at these kind of shows becasue it is less expensive and less pressure than the A or R shows. I think the fair shows should be kept more of the "fun" type shows because much of your audience at these shows are families that might become involved in showing at these shows and eventually in the A &R shows. Frankly, I'd love to have more of these fun shows around!
default_smile.png

rThere are fun shows every second saturday from April thru November here in Richmond. They have a whole division for miniatures. That came about when my kids were in 4h and had only minis to show. We got more people involved in minis and then had a whole division. Some years the mini division carried the whole year financially.

State fairs should have the best of the best and be a showcase for the breeders in the area.... it is that way for every other breed. I used to be superintendant for the fair. We had AMHR shows when we started, then the AMHA people said they wanted to be more involved so we made it an open show for registered horses of both registries. Then MAny of the breeders stopped coming because it wasnt a rated show. When I lost my vision in 2000, I resigned from the job and have not had it since.

Every year it became more and more a fun show with games classes etc. Lots of the breeders stopped coming all together.

We had hoped when we moved to the new show grounds that we would move forward and become a recognised rated show again.

I am not giving up. I have sent e mails and call people. Work had been done to get approval and we have the paperwork to send in to AMHR only the current comittee, which includes NO local VA breeders who show, decided it would be run by the group that runs the fun show.... they decided it would be too expensive to be rated. We the farms that show nationally have offered to support the entry, and sponsor adds to make if financially feasable. We will keep fighting for what we have been asking for for the past 5 years!

Lyn

Got uninvolved years ago when they were seemingly more interested in a "fun" show than a serious horse show. I would have to disagree with this kind of thinking. Some people have unregistered or WC only minis that they like to show at these kind of shows becasue it is less expensive and less pressure than the A or R shows. I think the fair shows should be kept more of the "fun" type shows because much of your audience at these shows are families that might become involved in showing at these shows and eventually in the A &R shows. Frankly, I'd love to have more of these fun shows around!
default_smile.png
Sorry Lyn, but in our area.

I also agree with this statement.

In our area, fairs which we have attended for about 18 years now, should be for fun, and newbies of ones that are just starting up, has been for years.

The agriculture and live stock of our farmers etc.

We have had a few of our fairs being taken over, than after being taken over for serious horse shows, has not increased but have closed
default_new_shocked.gif

Example: Harriston, London, and Mt. Forest, have not had miniature horse shows for a few years.

We are now trying to get Teeswater to go back to the fun things and add a mini show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn,

I was really hoping it would get rated. I stopped showing down there the second to last year before they moved to the new facility.

I was really considering coming back if it was rated.

Barb

It's been my experience that fairs/livestock shows in general are difficult to work with. When I showed QHs we had a QH show under the umbrella of the livestock show, and always felt that horse shows in general were not given much credibility. They were always more interested in cows, pigs......ie livestock - and although at the time we were having very successful shows, they just weren't willing to work with us on much.

Keep after them, hope you get your rated show.

Jan

Latest posts

Back