Upset about Buyer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cegocindy

Reaction score
I don't normally post on here but just had a really weird, upsetting experience that I thought some others might like to chime in on.

I had someone interested in one of my mini donkeys. I agreed to let him come see him on Wednesday but the more I got to know about him, the more I was not comfortable with the situation; my daughter had also gotten upset that I was selling him so I declined to sell him today. On my website it states that the seller has the right to end the sale up to the signing of the sales contract. This man put down no deposit and we had nothing signed between us. He is threatening me now, and says he will get on every miniature horse board and trash me. I am absolutely SURE now that I made the right decision not to sell to him, but it amazes me that he acts one way to get my donkey and then turns into a raving maniac once he does not get his way. Watch out for this guy! Advice?

I honestly don't know, but my best guess is that he threw his tantrum hoping you'd give in and sell. Hopefully, he's all hot air, and you'll have nothing to worry about from him.

I would not take his childish threat seriously, as you obviously made the right decision. If he starts running his mouth, he will look like the jackass. Respectable people will know not to pay him any mind, he probably associates with like minded people so if he does run his mouth, he'll be doing you a favor by keeping "those kind" away. Every community has ppl like that, everyone knows whom they are and how they can be. Dont worry about him.

And since I Personally know Cindy, I will refute any derogatory statements I see about her. Cindy, You are one of the most kind and conscientious people I have ever met. If any of you do not know Cindy, you are missing knowing one of the most wonderful people in the equine industry. I am so sorry, Cindy, that you are dealing with this. I know it is upsetting you, but you did what was right in your heart and that is all that counts. Take care of you and yours first. Can't wait to see you next show season.

Angie Foy

Thank you all for your kind comments....Angie...it means a lot to me that you feel that way about me. This guy really does not seem to care about the babies and that is what scared me. I haven't heard anything else from him although he threatened to report me to the Better Business Bureau! I told him to go ahead if he felt strongly about it. Thanks everyone!

Obviously, your intuition was correct. I personally wouldn't respond to any email or calls that are placed to you from him at this point. Secondly, I wouldn't trust this individual.... You never know what some individual's are capable of. If he's threatening you report him if necessary to the proper authorities.

Regardless of whether you had accepted a deposit or not you have the right to refuse the sale.... and of course you'd need to refund the potential buyers deposit if that were the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have every right to refuse a sale and this guy can be in trouble for slandering you.

Glad you listened to your gut instincts.

Actually, not to be alarmist, but ANY and all e-mails this creep sends to you of any sort of threatening nature whatsoever should be handed over to the police straight away, and you should be phoning them now, giving them the whole story and insisting on making a statement. I agree that it is very likely to come to nothing at all, most of us have been through this unfortunately, at one time or another, BUT....just in case, better safe than sorry. Just remember YOU have done nothing at all wrong here, YOU are the "victim" and he is the offender, but you need to insist on making a signed police statement, even if they try to fob you off (too much paperwork!)

I would just keep that notation on your site and ignore him and not even respond. The guy is a loonie and yes, you followed your gut feeling and you were right! I have refused sales in the past, and so have other people I know, just because of bad feelings or problems with the potential buyer or the homes they were going to.

I would not worry about it... people will see his craziness and it will be detrimental to his own reputation, not yours. Hang in there- you probably just saved your donkey from a miserable existance!!

Just ignore him. I find that with people like this....it's best to ignore....

You have good instincts! And I agree with the other posters, ignore him, but document everything! After reading Dannigirl's post I feel like I should get to know you. Especially since I only live a couple hours from you, and our son lives in Rogersville! I had no idea you were there, or I'd probably have been trying to find you! lol

I would fill out a report at police to document "threats" for future reference. I would also install a game camera or something similar since he knows where you live and is hostile in case he should return to do some harm to your critters (or you). You can make out a report and have police do no action, but you will have a case number for reference and a documented date of threat.

You can't be too careful these days.

take care

ps.. no contact by phone or email with him. Ignore him.

Last edited by a moderator:
quotes: ignore him and .. no contact by phone or email with him. Ignore him. I Absolutely agree! but I'd still make sure it's documented, hey it kind of is documented here so that is good.

Forgot to say, I'm so sorry this happened to you.

You have good instincts! And I agree with the other posters, ignore him, but document everything! After reading Dannigirl's post I feel like I should get to know you. Especially since I only live a couple hours from you, and our son lives in Rogersville! I had no idea you were there, or I'd probably have been trying to find you! lol
Sounds wonderful!!

quotes: ignore him and .. no contact by phone or email with him. Ignore him. I Absolutely agree! but I'd still make sure it's documented, hey it kind of is documented here so that is good.

Forgot to say, I'm so sorry this happened to you.
Thank you so much! I ended up blocking his email and phone calls. Hope that was the right thing to do but he was upsetting me and I didn't want to aggravate him anymore than he already was. I think it will be alright, now, but will keep everyone updated. Thank you to everyone on the board for your concern. You never know who you are dealing with sometimes, you know? I have decided not to sell my donkey; after this experience, I am not going to let him go.

There are many good families or people out there that would love to have your donkey. I would not be afraid to sell it based on one lunatic. Have dealt with a few nuts over the years, and have refused a few sales, but after they were nasty, nothing further became of it. I just let it roll off. If you file a report, I WOULD have the cops go talk to the guy- it may teach him a lesson that people are not going to tolerate his BS. I am sure it would also encourage him to leave you alone.

Latest posts

Back