UPDATED - ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!!!!! additional information on page 3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Public was outraged but power company said they did not put the generator in the basement which is true.
I would have to say in this case that if people are going to do stupid things, they have to take responsibility for the consequences--you cannot blame the power company for something like this.
as for the original topic here--last year with one of our hydro bills we got a brochure on a program now offered by Manitoba Hydro: "Neighbors helping neighbors". What it amounts to is people can pay extra money on their bill and that extra amount goes into a special fund that will be used for people who are having trouble paying their bills--it's targeted at seniors such as the 93 year old fellow in this case. Now, this was last year and I haven't heard of the program since, so I have no idea how well it went over, if enough people were donating to the cause to keep it going, or if it is now history because of lack of funds. I questioned at the time how much good it would really do, as it was a one time 'gift' per household and I think it was a set amount--it would delay the shut off of power by a little while, but on a $1000 bill the $200 or $300 available wouldn't make that much of a dent.

SHAME! SHAME ON THEM!

This is outrageous. I am too angry to cry. This is a LIFE for the lovagod. Where is the compassion? Is this what the modern world has come to now? I'm sorry people but this is inhumane cruel suffering and NO ONE Or NOTHING can justify what has happened. What a way to die! Just the way he died makes me think this cannot be the world I live in.

We have many poverty stricken elderly in our area. Most of them get meals on wheels but some do not and a lot of us stop by and check and visit a few minutes a week. You always find out at church who needs help so you help. My cooking is terrible but I do bring a meatloaf and some biscuits to a certain couple in their 90's every now and then because I know they can chew it, along with my other neighbors who bring lots of things because we all know they do not have enough food. This is not hard to do! You just share what you have and its no big deal. We also have very large families we keep an eye on as well and I promise you if anyone seems to be going hungry or doing without they are helped one way or the other.

May that poor man rest in peace now in the warmth of an angel.

sadly it seems that this is the way the world is going
default_sad.png
I bet you all remember the one with the person in the ironlung where they turned off the power so the person suffocated? think thats less then a year ago that happened.

it's all about money today, not about helping eachother

Outrage is warranted but action is needed.

You can contact your local senior center and adopt a senior without family. You call them once or twice a day and visit with them, take them to the library, out to lunch, do their bookwork for them etc. Way Cool program.

I learned to fox trot from a 75 year old friend of mine name Mitchell, he passed away last year, he was thee coolest man.

Here is an update on this story.
default_sad.png

Freezing Death of Man, 93, Sparks AngerSource: The Associated PressPosted: 01/29/09 8:17AM

Filed Under: World

BAY CITY, Mich. (AP) - When neighbors went inside Marvin Schur's house, the windows were frosted over, icicles hung from a faucet, and the 93-year-old World War II veteran lay dead on the bedroom floor in a winter jacket over four layers of clothing.

He froze to death — slowly and painfully, authorities say — days after the electric company installed a power-limiting device because of more than $1,000 in unpaid bills.

The old man's sad end two weeks ago has led to outrage, soul-searching and a resolve never to let something like this happen again.

"There's got to be a way in today's computer age they can find out if someone's over a certain age," said Chad Sepos, 37, a copy machine installer who lives a block away in this Lake Huron city of 34,000 people, about 90 miles from Detroit. "It's just sad."

One of the saddest things of all was that Schur appeared to have plenty of money, and, in fact, one of the neighbors who entered the home reported seeing cash clipped to a pile of bills on the kitchen table. Schur's nephew suggested the old man's mind may have been slipping.

Schur, or "Mutts," was a retired foundry worker who lived alone, his wife having died a couple of years ago. The couple had no children. He could often be seen through the big front window of his comfortably furnished home of 50 or 60 years, watching TV or keeping an eye on his neighborhood.

On Jan. 13, a worker with the city-owned utility installed a "limiter" on Schur's electric meter after four months of unpaid bills. The device restricts power and blows like a fuse if usage rises past a set level. Electricity is not restored until the device is flipped back on by the homeowner, who must walk outside to the meter.

Bay City Electric Light & Power did not contact Schur face-to-face to notify him of the device and explain how it works, instead following its usual policy by leaving a note on the door. But neighbors said Schur rarely, if ever, left the house in the cold.

At some point, the device evidently tripped and was not reset, authorities said. Schur's home was heated by a gas furnace, not electricity, but some gas furnaces do not work properly if the power is out.

Neighbors discovered Schur's body on Jan. 17 in his home, a yellow house with peeling paint. The outside temperature ranged from a high of 12 degrees to a low of minus 9 on Jan. 15, the day he was believed to have died. A heating pad was on his favorite armchair by the window. The oven door was open, perhaps to heat the place.

"The body has a tremendous fighting power for survival. He died a slow, painful death," said Dr. Kanu Virani, who found frostbite on Schur's foot when performing the autopsy. Investigators are trying to establish how long he was without electricity.

City officials are reviewing their procedures and in the meantime have suspended shutoffs and removed all limiters from homes after using the devices for 18 years.

The medical examiner is looking into whether Schur suffered from dementia, particularly after police found enough cash lying around in the home to cover his bills. His nephew William Walworth said Schur told him two years ago he had $600,000 in savings.

"It's definitely not a situation where money is an issue. The issue has to do with the mental faculties you have and your ability to make good decisions," said Walworth, 67, who lives in Ormond Beach, Fla.

"I think the utility's policies are horrible and insane," he added. "For 50 years he paid the bill on a regular basis and never had problems. If people would know who their customers are and take concern for their customers, maybe they'd go knock on the door and see if everything is OK."

Neighbors and others have posted messages on the Internet, complaining it was a shabby way to treat a veteran and demanding city employees be fired or prosecuted for not taking a few minutes to check on Schur, who was a medic in the South Pacific and earned a Purple Heart.

One blogger noted that even a pet owner who leaves his dog outside to freeze can face charges.

Sharon Gire, director of the Michigan Office of Services to the Aging, said Schur's death was preventable. "He was one of Michigan's most vulnerable citizens in need," she said. "It is a tragedy that he had to suffer such a painful death."

Michigan's big, state-regulated utilities are not allowed to shut off power to senior citizens in the winter and must offer payment plans to the poor. State regulators also discourage the use of limiters. But Michigan's 41 smaller municipal utilities — Bay City's included — are not overseen by the state.

Schur's death has prompted Michigan lawmakers to start writing legislation that could ban the use of limiters by municipal utilities.

"The concern was particularly with elderly customers; they can be frail or confused," Public Service Commission spokeswoman Judy Palnau said. "Anything that can require some sort of mechanical intervention can be overwhelming."

Bay City Manager Robert Belleman said that he was "deeply saddened" by Schur's death and that State Police will investigate. But he also said neighbors have a responsibility to each other.

"I've said this before and some of my colleagues have said this: Neighbors need to keep an eye on neighbors," Belleman said. "When they think there's something wrong, they should contact the appropriate agency or city department."

it's all about money today, not about helping eachother
Amen.
default_no.gif
What's even worse is when some "offer help" with the alterior motive of "personal gain". {{{Sighs}}} Wolves in sheeps clothing....but I digress...

In this particular case it was about "offering a service", but only if the recipient can pay for it...which is just a fact of life though, and how most of us earn a living, and rightfully so...that is until...the service in turn being the very source of sustaining life, as was most definately here.
default_sad.png

This whole thing makes me recall a movie that hubby I just went to see a couple weeks ago, Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino".
default_sad.png
The story plot was different, of course, but ultimately, it ended likewise... a beautiful soul now an angel of heaven.

After watching that movie, made hubby and I both adament about keeping our own folks close to us, and a daily priority in our hearts. Also, made us absolutely ADORE, (just ALL THE MORE), some of our own neighbors out here, that have come to live similar lives...lonely from family with only "neighbors" to be a part of their day...and finding such joy in that.

This, with this gentleman though, makes my heart so sad for him. I just pray over this.... and all that comes of it. Heaven have mercy...

No, it's not a neighbor's "responsibility"...but still...I just hope in might lead to more "neighborly love" (that in itself would prevail that this man did not die in vain)...it's just so very needed in this world....and that's not to say SOLELY in the literal sense of "neighbor" either...but should include companies with compassion, families, extended families, and even strangers...all the above. Ok, I'm going to just close with that, because I feel I'm just rambling now....

I just pray over this...and all that may potentially come of it.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The medical examiner is looking into whether Schur suffered from dementia, particularly after police found enough cash lying around in the home to cover his bills. His nephew William Walworth said Schur told him two years ago he had $600,000 in savings.

"It's definitely not a situation where money is an issue. The issue has to do with the mental faculties you have and your ability to make good decisions," said Walworth, 67, who lives in Ormond Beach, Fla.

It could also have been a "physical limitation" of inability to actually drive to the post office to mail payment, or drive to the power company to make payment, and was just HOPING that someone would BOTHER to come along and OFFER A RIDE to pay the bill???

So sad....
default_sad.png
Holding in prayers...

This is an EXTREMELY SAD situation all around. It appears to me that the 'ball was dropped' when the utility didn't make the effort to arrange a FACE-TO-FACE meeting with the gentleman. In doing so, they could have seen that he was extremely elderly, been able to explain in person HOW the limiter worked(AND gotten a sense of whether he understood and could actually carry out the necessary action should it shut off), and whether social services might need to be called in. Seems there is a GREAT need for better procedures and training on the part of those companies that are in a position of providing VITAL services to people. What a terrible irony that it seems he DID have sufficient money to pay for the services!

Most of all, this tragedy might have been prevented with better communication and, VITALLY IMPORTANT, a recognition that EVERY 'customer' is a PERSON.

Margo

I do agree in part where the company should have made a point of personal contact in explaining the device....

However, it NEVER should have reached the point of protocol FOR said device....
default_sad.png

He obviously DID have the means to PAY THE BILL ...BEFORE...it would have reached the power company's "policy step" of initiating the use of the device....he just needed the means of ability to "Physically" follow through....to me, and from what I've read of this story so far, and seen of on the news...it just seems that he just needed HELP for means of conveying payment...then ALL ELSE that occured would never have been in place to even happen.

Don't know him, and don't know if he would have ever wanted to "impose" of anyone to ask for help to just "convey his payment", but it just seems to me, that THIS is where the point of events turned that lead to his demise....he just needed help in "conveying payment" of which he had the financial means to cover...just not likely the "physical means" of doing so.

To even insinuate that he didn't have his "faculties" about him, is already disproven, by the mear FACT that he had his financial obligation all "set to go", with the money there on the table with the bill....sadly, that's just as far as it ever got.
default_no.gif
I still feel in my heart, that it may be because he had no "physical" means of ability to follow through with making payment beyond his kitchen table.
default_sad.png
Don't know if he "could" have called anyone, as his phone bill could possibly have been cut off too, from nonpayment??? I don't know, but it is possible...had someone just BOTHERED to actually GO TO HIM physically....things could have been prevented from escalating to this extent.

{{{Sighs}}} I feel so heartbroken for this man.
default_no.gif

Outrage is warranted but action is needed.
You can contact your local senior center and adopt a senior without family. You call them once or twice a day and visit with them, take them to the library, out to lunch, do their bookwork for them etc. Way Cool program.

I learned to fox trot from a 75 year old friend of mine name Mitchell, he passed away last year, he was thee coolest man.
Whitney....what a beautiful heart you have.
default_wub.png

Sadly it is the world we live in. I did home health care for close to 12 years and met some really wonderful aged folks. I will tell you that certain generations have a different view on life and asking for help, and I am betting this gentlemen was afraid to ask for help for fear of being thought of as incompetent and being removed from the only home he has known. Even though it is extremely hard to have someone removed from there home even through SRS and the state. Numerous times our agency was asked to step in and help to file "Adult in need of care" & issues with relatives trying to "step In" and have them removed. Alot of relatives didn't want the hassle of dealing with an aged relative because it interfered with their busy busy schedules. I was raised that we took care of our family & OUR NEIGHBORS. My mom ,bless her soul, cared for 3 different aged folks in our neighborhood growing up and I would mow-do laundry-iron & help her. NEVER, were we allowed to ask for a dime. Now days your lucky to get a kid to get off their butts to do anything to help even in their own homes. Enough of my ranting...he fell through the cracks, yet again, but I feel it is up to us as GOOD neighbors to stop in once in awhile and check on these folks and NO you don't have to but that is what is wrong nowdays...I don't have too-not my problem-not my responsibility :arg!

I will say this is so very sad and should never have happened. Its horrible! The elderly, let alone a VEt should have had someone to look out for him. I don't know who, or how but....

That said thinking that electric companies should cover us is what has our Economy crashing down. This mindset doesn't work. If you can't pay your bills, can't own a home then you simply CAN'T afford it and need to be in assisted living or a shared rental. A home, Utilities, car, food are a PRIVILAGE not a right.

Obviously the above gentleman that passed, money was not the problem, but sadly do to his age, or lack of mobility.

Seriously though almost everyone thinks we have the RIGHT to have power,food, shelter, etc etc, etc... SOmeone has to PAY for these things. Where does the money come from? People are living on credit cards and far above their means and now our country is paying a severe price for irresponsible people.

Not everyone should own a home, it doesn't work!

It sure is sad, not just the way he passed, but it sounds like the last couple years of his life...all alone. To me, it almost sounds like someone (perhaps a family member) may have dropped the ball here....why would he have the $ paperclipped to his bill on the table? Sounds like he was waiting for someone to pick it up for him...and that someone never showed up.

why didnt the man go to the electric company and tell them he had a problem paying the bills??? why isnt it the mans responsibility to take care of himself, and if he couldnt pay his bills why not ask for help finding a shelter? I think its a cruel thing to happen also , but somebody failed to see the bigger picture , and that lead to a horrible death. These people that can not take care of themselves need to ask for help...the local church or what ever. very sad . he would have had a warm place to sleep in my stall, how does a house get so cold? cant you use newspaper on the windows? there is a bigger picture here.

why didnt the man go to the electric company and tell them he had a problem paying the bills??? why isnt it the mans responsibility to take care of himself, and if he couldnt pay his bills why not ask for help finding a shelter? I think its a cruel thing to happen also , but somebody failed to see the bigger picture , and that lead to a horrible death. These people that can not take care of themselves need to ask for help...the local church or what ever. very sad . he would have had a warm place to sleep in my stall, how does a house get so cold? cant you use newspaper on the windows? there is a bigger picture here.
Sadly if he had dementia or Alzheimers, then he would not even know to ask for help....My Grandma suffered from Alzheimers, she went to the doctor one day, and then when leaving could not remember her way home. But they do not like to admit they have a problem. We had to eventually put her in the nursing home, and it was sad, as she got to where she would not even remember anyone but my dad....and then even when he would just visit her and leave, she would swear he had not been to see her. So IF this man had any problems like that, then he could not have asked for help or really realized he needed help. It just saddens me and makes me cry to think of what he went through.
default_no.gif
I think the electric company should not have installed any device without first Explaining it in detail to the home owner, and making sure they understood.....even doing a follow up on them wouldn't hurt.

I suppose I wouldnt admit to having a problem either...its very sad , maybe we (all of us ) could look after one another a little better . Knock on your neighbors door once in a while and ask how they are doing . keep an eye on your neighbor. he can sleep in peace now

I just finally got to read this entire post, and I have to say that this was just wrong. In the winter no electric company should do that, especially in areas where it gets extremely cold.

I also have to say one other thing to this part of the article:

Bay City Manager Robert Belleman said that he was "deeply saddened" by Schur's death and that State Police will investigate. But he also said neighbors have a responsibility to each other.
"I've said this before and some of my colleagues have said this: Neighbors need to keep an eye on neighbors," Belleman said. "When they think there's something wrong, they should contact the appropriate agency or city department."
This guy should be put in jail! My neighbors are actually distance relatives (in other words family), and they don't come check in on me all the time when my husband is away (he's in the Army National Guard). So I really don't think that neighbors have a responsibility to each other.

Just a word about alzheimers:

My mother and my aunt who lived together had it. If I hadn't been right there with them daily I would not have really known. The house became un-kept. Little things like the beds were no longer being made, dust was accumulating. The garbage wasn't being taken out., things like that were pileing up. At first I just thought they were tired and just didn't feel like cleaning up. But other wise, they were acting pretty normal, just getting forgetful. Then they began to quit eating regular meals and I found the refridgerator was almost empty. They were forgetting to eat. But again, they were acting normal in other ways so who really knew? I did and it didn't take long for me to put two and two together and take over. Long story short it progressed and I ended up with 4 babies instead of two and that was my responsibility.

The moral of the story is that this happens every day and if someone is not visiting the elderly on a regular basis, you can't know what is really going on. This poor old gentleman had no one to keep tabs on him and that is wrong. Dead wrong.

I just finally got to read this entire post, and I have to say that this was just wrong. In the winter no electric company should do that, especially in areas where it gets extremely cold.
I also have to say one other thing to this part of the article:

This guy should be put in jail! My neighbors are actually distance relatives (in other words family), and they don't come check in on me all the time when my husband is away (he's in the Army National Guard). So I really don't think that neighbors have a responsibility to each other.
Are you 90+ years old?

Latest posts

Back