UPDATED - ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!!!!! additional information on page 3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
Man, 93, Freezes to Death in Home
Neighbours discovered Schur's body on Jan. 17. They said the indoor temperature was below zero Celsius at the time, the Bay City Times reported Monday.

"Hypothermia shuts the whole system down, slowly," Virani said. "It's not easy to die from hypothermia without first realizing your fingers and toes feel like they're burning."

Schur owed Bay City Electric Light & Power more than $1,000 in unpaid electric bills, Bay City manager Robert Belleman told The Associated Press on Monday.

A city utility worker had installed a "limiter" device to restrict the use of electricity at Schur's home on Jan. 13, Belleman said. The device limits power reaching a home and blows out like a fuse if consumption rises past a set level. Power is not restored until the device is reset.

The limiter was tripped sometime between the time of installation and the discovery of Schur's body, Belleman said. He didn't know if anyone had made personal contact with Schur to explain how the device works.

Schur's body was discovered by neighbour George Pauwels.

"His furnace was not running, the insides of his windows were full of ice the morning we found him," Pauwels told the newspaper.

Belleman said city workers keep the limiter on houses for 10 days, then shut off power entirely if the homeowner hasn't paid utility bills or arranged to do so.

He said Bay City Electric Light & Power's policies will be reviewed, but he didn't believe the city did anything wrong.

"I've said this before and some of my colleagues have said this: Neighbours need to keep an eye on neighbours," Belleman said. "When they think there's something wrong, they should contact the appropriate agency or city department."

Schur had no children and his wife had died several years ago.

Bay City is on Saginaw Bay, just north of the city of Saginaw in central Michigan.
I can't believe they would be putting the onus on the neighbours. What the heck is the matter with this electric company!!!! This is absolute bullcrap. You can't tell me that they couldn't have sent a representative to speak to the man directly to see how they could solve the problem. Shutting heat off in these kind of temperatures is tandamount to "murder". I guess the almighty $$ is more important than a life. This is soooo sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sad. Bay City is just a few miles north of me. I hadn't heard about this but hadn't been watching the news past few nights.

That is sooo sad.
default_sad.png
That poor poor man......With temps so cold, I cannot believe anyone would limit your electricity/heat. And if he didn't know or understand it....that is just awful.

That is aweful
default_no.gif
. A man lost his life as he could not afford a $1,000 electic bill...i think at times these utility companys should take things into consideration and extend a helping hand in times like this to people who cannot afford or deal with the conseqences at a time like this and with the cold.

At one time there was a law (here at least) that prevented the gas company from shutting off the gas during winter, even if the bill wasn't paid. I'm not sure, but I think the same law applied to the hydro. However, that law was changed quite a few years ago, and the power/gas can now be cut off any time of the year, even in the coldest part of winter.

It's a shame that someone died of it, but at the same time there are consequences when one cannot pay their utility bill. A $1000+ bill...how many months worth of unpaid bills is that? This man should have known well ahead of Jan. 13th that he had a problem with his bill and that they were likely to cut off his power--companies are usually fairly good at allowing customers to make payment arrangements in cases like this...I disagree that it's up to the neighbors to watch over someone like this--the neighbors probably didn't even know there was a problem with his bill being unpaid. The fellow was elderly and if he was also incompetent, he should not have been living there alone--he had no immediate family, but I wonder if there were no nieces or nephews that could have kept an eye on him? Very sad, for sure.

As I understand this, the man had a "limit switch" on his electricity. That means that he had enough to run his furnace and critical components, but if he exceeded that limit, power would be shut off and he had to contact the company to come out and reset the switch. They are saying that they "May not have explained it fully" Geez YA THINK???

I agree that it should not be left to the neighbors, but what about family? The officials estimate he's been dead approx 10 days according to the local news (I live about 20 miles from Bay City)

I agree that it should not be left to the neighbors, but what about family? The officials estimate he's been dead approx 10 days according to the local news (I live about 20 miles from Bay City)
It doesn't sound like he really had any family. The article said this: Schur had no children and his wife had died several years ago.

That explains the kind of world we have now... profits are more important than a human life. Even if he had months of unpaid bills, it is winter..... and people can die from the temperatures!!!!

Another thing I failed to mention yesterday when I posted here...when I heard this on the news (radio) yesterday,what was in that report that was not mentioned in this one Danielle posted, was that on his kitchen table, they found the electric bill with a bunch of cash together...I think they said wrapped together in an eleastic band, like he had plans of paying it, but never made it there.
default_no.gif

We were talking about this last night at bowling. The bartender knows of this man's family and she also mentioned the $ attached to the bill. He did have some family according to her. It is not the neighbor's responsibility that is for sure. He had nieces/nephews that did visit him, but not very often from the sound of it. I too did not think they could shut off someones electricity in the winter months. According to her, it was totally shut off, she gave a story totally different than what the article said.

This was a 93 year old man!
default_no.gif
I have elderly neighbors that are not my blood relatives. I firmly believe it is my family's responsibility as compassionate people to check on them a couple times a week and see what they might need help with or to just sit and chat a while.

On the one hand, it would have been very nice of the electric company to extend a helping hand to this gentleman. On the other hand, they already did.
default_unsure.png
Electricity is not a RIGHT, people. It's a service that we purchase and they'd already continued to provide him with power long after he stopped paying his bill. If he was mentally competent he knew he needed to pay his bill and should have called them the minute his power was shut off even if he hadn't known about the limiter. If he wasn't mentally competent, then there was a failure of the system to help him but again, that's not the power company's fault. How could they have known?

Minimor said:
It's a shame that someone died of it, but at the same time there are consequences when one cannot pay their utility bill. A $1000+ bill...how many months worth of unpaid bills is that? This man should have known well ahead of Jan. 13th that he had a problem with his bill and that they were likely to cut off his power--companies are usually fairly good at allowing customers to make payment arrangements in cases like this...I disagree that it's up to the neighbors to watch over someone like this--the neighbors probably didn't even know there was a problem with his bill being unpaid. The fellow was elderly and if he was also incompetent, he should not have been living there alone--he had no immediate family, but I wonder if there were no nieces or nephews that could have kept an eye on him? Very sad, for sure.
I agree 100%. There is no question this is sad and unnecessary, but I don't think it's disgusting or the power company's responsibility. If the power shut off in the middle of the night with no warning and he froze to death in his sleep, well, maybe. But based on the quote below he obviously knew he needed to pay his bill so why didn't he do it before it came to that?!
default_wacko.png

Mona said:
Another thing I failed to mention yesterday when I posted here...when I heard this on the news (radio) yesterday,what was in that report that was not mentioned in this one Danielle posted, was that on his kitchen table, they found the electric bill with a bunch of cash together...I think they said wrapped together in an eleastic band, like he had plans of paying it, but never made it there.
default_no.gif
Leia

But based on the quote below he obviously knew he needed to pay his bill so why didn't he do it before it came to that?!
default_wacko.png

Mona said:
default_no.gif
Leia
He was 93! I think that might have something to do with it. He may not have been thinking really well at that age, not to mention how it must have effected him mentally as well as physically to be so cold at that age before the cold actually took his life. I feel so sorry reading about what happened to him. At 93, his prospects for earning extra money to make it easier to keep up with the bill are probably non-existent.

But based on the quote below he obviously knew he needed to pay his bill so why didn't he do it before it came to that?!
default_wacko.png

Mona said:
default_no.gif
Leia
He was 93! I think that might have something to do with it. He may not have been thinking really well at that age, not to mention how it must have effected him mentally as well as physically to be so cold at that age before the cold actually took his life. I feel so sorry reading about what happened to him. At 93, his prospects for earning extra money to make it easier to keep up with the bill are probably non-existent.
I agree Jill. Also, even IF his neighbors were close to him, how many elderly people do you know who would discuss private financial matters even with FAMILY? I'm sorry, but I believe that limiting someone's ability for life sustaining heat in the heart of winter, is criminal...just my two cents...

default_wacko.png

Mona said:
default_no.gif
Leia
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
TOTALLY AGREE Jill!!! He also may have thought that he had to pay the full amount, and had not gathered that much yet so was waiting to get it together. They (the radio) never said how much money was there. Good God...YES, this IS DISGUSTING!
default_no.gif

Here they can not shut off the power in Winter for unpaid bills. At least they are not supposed to. A couple years ago here in town a single father and his teenage son died from carbon monoxide when the dad ran a generator in the basement. His power bill was way behind and it was fall. They shut off the power after he stopped making payments. He apparently ran the generator so his son could do homework on his computer. The neighbors said he did this often that fall until the day he decided to put the generator in the basement to help keep the house warm. Public was outraged but power company said they did not put the generator in the basement which is true.

Latest posts

Back