Update on Phoebe...9/18

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
...on Thursday she'll be headed for Stacy's farm in AZ, if all goes as planned. The shipper will be here between 7 and 10 PM. We will sorely miss the little girl. Her little face just melts my heart, and that nicker...I wish I could get her nicker on tape to have forever
default_smile.png
. I'll work on that.

Physically, she hasn't changed all that much. Her coat isn't as shiny because they're all getting their winter coats. She does look fuller through the barrel, but we don't want her too much fatter or it will be hard on those little feet.

I've been letting her out on one of our lots that is real eaten down and nice and sandy, a few minutes at a time a couple times each day. That's inspired her and she is feeling much better getting to be like the other horses. This video is from yesterday and with the better light than the last video you can truly see the long lasting damage that has been caused through her chest and shoulders (from standing in a founder-pose, in a hole, without food, for a year). But she has quite the spirit - she really doesn't know she's not a normal pony
default_smile.png

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v645/tra...be091706013.flv

She'll be in heaven being at Stacy's place, outside 24/7! She's leaving right as we're gettinga cold snap, so I'm glad she won't have to struggle thorough another northern IN winter.

What an experience this has been. I really appreciate CMHR for saving her...she really deserved it. She's never given up, and she's always, I mean ALWAYS cooperative and well-behaved. I only wish I was in the position to keep her
default_sad.png
. But everything happens for a reason...she's been like a little angel to me, when I needed one
default_smile.png
. Her and I did some talking when I was overwhelmed a few times, and she's proven to be a very good listener and an understanding friend. She's like a little angel.

I'll post pictures here before she's on the trailer. Too bad they don't have a trailer cam we could hook in to...
default_smile.png

Phoebe091706002.jpg

Phoebe091706008.jpg

Phoebe091706001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=18pt] :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: She looks so happy. I can't wait for updates from Stacy on how she is doing.
[/SIZE]

Christy

You did great with her! She looks content and thats all one can ask for. :aktion033:

Thank you so much for all you have done for Phoebe.... She has come a long way and I hope

our weather down here will be kinder on her. She is going to a great home!!!!

The neat thing is I can so see her every once in a while .:lol:

:aktion033: :aktion033: But she does look better and alive and happy- its in her eyes :aktion033: :aktion033:

default_yes.gif
: You two did wonderful together
default_yes.gif
:

Congratulations Stacey on your new addition!

Oh my I have tears in my eyes. Where would she be if you hadn't stepped up and taken her in. She'd still be in that heck hole or possibly dead by now. Her body language says it all. She's content and knows she's loved. What a sweetie.

Ginny

WOW she looks great. I love the pic with the sun in the background..it looks heavenly.......she is a pretty girl...thanks a bunch for helping her.

UPDATE 9/21...please send us good thoughts :

My vet explained to me that Phoebe is to have no grass, ever. None he said. Ever. He explained it like a person who has experienced frost bite will forever be super sensitive to cold, even cool air because the nerves are damaged after the initial onslaught. They heal, but they don't work they same way anymore - much like a pony whose coffin bone is barely there so the laminae has scarred and reattached so that it is there, but not working exactly the same way.

Well......I allowed Phoebe to have 1 or 2 bites of grass for the last couple of days. Now, she's laminitic. She's such a trooper, and she's hanging in there, but I've gotten to know her pretty well and I know she's uncomfortable. She's on banamine and soaked hay.

She's scheduled to leave for AZ Saturday morning (rescheduled) so I need all the good thoughts and prayers you guys can spare to help her bounce back quickly. This happened once in the first couple weeks she was here and it took about 2 days and she looked and felt much better...but thats all we have right now. Two days. So please pray for her.

I'm very upset with myself right now.

Good news. She is moving better already
default_smile.png
. I gave her a dose of banamine at mid-day and when I went out to check her a little while later she was up and hungry but still reluctant to walk to get her food. I went out again for dinner and she walked to the edge of her stall to come and see me and I purposely put her hay on the opposite end and she walked right over to it.

I'm 90% sure it was the grass...simply because the last time I allowed her a couple days of nibbling, it ended the same way. Somebody suggested it could be she's just sore from the activity from the walks...maybe it is. The berometer is changing too - and perhaps her arthritic joints were really feeling it. Maybe it's a combination of everything. I don't know but keep her in your thoughts through next week while she's traveling please!

I was so relieved to hear her nicker at me for dinner and see her walk to get her hay. This morning she looked at me like "Please don'tmake me walk over there...it hurts..." -- you can imagine how I felt. So I'm not going to change anything ~ I'm not going to risk her feeling poorly for her trip.

Latest posts

Back