UPDATE on our Hyperlipemia/Fatty Liver Desease Mare....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
default_no.gif
I wish I had better news....... Our lovely mare, Cita, didn't make it. Larry was with her when she passed, so she wasn't alone...... Thank God........ She passed around 3:30 a.m. today (Friday).

We are going ahead and having her blood tests completed and Dr. Jake has done a necropsy. Right now the preliminary results show she had a twisted gut AND was fighting the hyperlipemia. It was a No-Win situation.

Sadly, we learned that Cita was carrying a red pinto filly. She was over 6 months along in her pregnancy.......

Ma, I am so sorry for your's and Larry's loss of that beautiful mare.

MA and Larry, OMG I'm SO very sorry you lost your sweet girl and her filly!
default_crybaby.gif

I know how hard it is and my heart aches for you. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Mary Ann and Larry I am so sorry to read this.

I certainly have learned recently just how devastating this is.

And to loose the foal too....

I am sad for you both.
default_no.gif

Oh Maryanne & Larry

I am so sorry to hear about Cita. I am curious - did she not exhibit signs of extreme pain with her twist? I lost my first mini to a twisted gut - didn't know it was twisted when we found him first thing in the morning, but it was apparent that he had been in trouble so had the vet out to tube him - he actually died of a burst stomache and the necropsy revealed the twist. In retrospect he did look to be in bad shape, but not dramatically different from a traditional colic - with one exception - he had "fruity" smelling breath. So the questions I ask are from an educational standpoint - was Cita visibly in more distress than a "typcical" colic and is that what gave you additional suspicions, or was she fairly stoic thru this whole experience?

I know that you are hurting from this experience, but we all learn from the experiences of others - when you are able to share, please give us the updates if you have any that you can offer.

Again, truly, I am so very sorry about your loss -

((((Hugs to you all )))))) Stacy

Oh no, I was sure hoping for a better update. I am so sorry on the loss of Cita. You guys are so devoted to your horses and I know you dearly love each and every one. Big hugs to you and Larry.

I am truely sorry about your mare Maryann/Larry. I know how devasting this can be.

Sincerely,

Beth

I am so sorry, most of us have been there at one point or another, it is never easy.

So very sorry to read about the loss of your mare and her filly. I totally understand your heartbreak...Sending {{Hugs}} to you and Larry.

Thank you everyone, this is Larry. It's been a rough week but our lovely Arenosa mare, Princessita, is no longer in pain. I get to bury her today
default_no.gif

For old timers here, they know that since I am not MA answering this, the response is going to be long
default_wink.png

I came on here to answer Stacy.

Cita's gas colic was not unlike any other gas colic we've had in the past. We treated her as we have others but unfortunately, the hyperlepemia had already kicked in and she didn't respond very well...the vet had done everything normally done for a colic that he could do on the ranch...fluids, tubing, pain killer (dermosodan). He also palpated her to find out the foal's status. In fact, she gave Maryann and me every indication that she was going to abort that foal.

That was Wednesday. When she recovered from the pain killers and had a chance to relax some, she passed a small amount of loose manure. I took her for walks and she would nibble on grass for about 15 or 20 minutes until she'd lose interest. We'd walk some more, she would drink then we'd go back to her stall where she'd nibble on a bit of hay or a little mushy complete feed grain. She didn't have interest in eating much but at least she was picking a little at her food.

The following day, her vitals were mostly normal except for an extremely high heart rate. That and the lack of appetite clued MA into the hyperlepemia thoughts. We continued walking her about hourly and take her to where she could eat some green grass. When the vet came to check her, MA mentioned that to me and we decided to vigorously attack it with the things we had to use until the chem panel came back. The vet called an hour later to tell us of the fatty globules he found in her blood serum. After a brief discussion he came back with glucose and insulin for her which MA and I administered as well as several doses of apple juice (karo syrup was on the shopping list) to help boost the sugar level.

That night, Cita ate both hay and all the complete feed that was in her stall. It wasn't until around midnight that she started rolling and showing signs of extreme pain. We walked her and she would want to stop and roll. This was after banamine and other stronger pain killers. We knew this was a real colic

She was gone within three hours. The necropsy yesterday only showed signs of a displaced large intestine (twisted gut) and a rather large section of it had died. According to the vet, it was unlikely that surgery would have helped her.

In retrospect, and not nearly enough time has passed, I think we missed the beginning of the hyperlepemia by at least a couple of days. She really wasn't drinking enough water (it's been extremely cold here especially in the night) and the grain, even soaked in water shouldn't have been given to her (in spite of what the vet said). I believe that she actually started feeling a little better on Thursday night because of the influx of sugars and the meds to help balance her system and combat the hyperlepemia. She hadn't had any pain killer for around 48 hours and was hungry, too. We're still waiting for test results (I assume vet doesn't think rapid delivery of them is important right now).

We've discussed with the vet about pulling blood even after "minor" gas colics. Although, we've not had quite this situation before, the stress from the colic could easily bring on hyperlipemia and the blood test isn't really even a test...just let the serum sit and separate. IF there are large globs of fat...well, it's time to get aggressive.

Hope this helps, Stacy and once again, thank you everyone for your concern

I am truely sorry to hear about the loss of your mare. Take comfort in knowing you did all you could and tried so hard to care for her. My thoughts are with you.

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss - was hoping for a good update. RIP Cita!!!!

(((((HUGS)))))

Barbie

I am so sorry MaryAnne & Larry. Thank you for your report - it is always hardest with the ones who are "stoic" - give me a little whiney woose any day - I have a few horses that will not show pain until it is nearly too late - hence we have had a couple of colic surgeries. My stallion that died of the "twist" actually was killed by the toxins hitting his heart and giving him a massive heart attack - one minute he was walking around fine - the next minute he reared up, pulled the rope thru my hand abruptly and hit the ground dead - I couldn't believe it happened that fast. My thoughts will be with you - this is the tough part of loving animals - I thank God regularly that I have the friends that I do thanks to the miniatures.

(((( Hugs ))))

Stacy

Oh that is so sad
default_sad.png
I'm really sorry to hear this.
default_sad.png

Back