Update on Faith's Kittens

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniforFaith

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a heads up on the kitty's. Their names have been changed so much, so I will say what she is calling them now. Garfield, is the one I did the other post on. Well the next day, I found another "entry" hole. So, i looked in the hole and seen movement again. Yep, pulled out anothe nasty larve. I have been doing all kind of research on the net but can not find one that looks like what I keep finding. This one was and 1/2 in long. Transparent, blackish head. Well after that one came out so did a lot of nasty infection(Trying not to be to gross, but it was.. Made my son vomit :smileypuke: ) So Garfield still has some swelling, but to wholes in his neck.

IMG_0347.jpg

But now, Twister, which was Button before we found out they were both boys, has some type of thingie behind his ear. It is really swelled. But i can't find a "breath hole" and hope that maybe his is an infected scratch.

IMG_0346.jpg

both of their temps are normal, eating and drinking fine. I am just keeping the wounds cleaned and antibotic oint. on it. ANy other suggestions? Hubby says i should be a vet as he can not handle seeing all this. I just now, that they need help and am willing to do anything to help. Just trying to hold off going to the vet, money is just not here right now. But if they become lethargic, then they diffently will go somehow..

So, just wondering if Twister's loks like an infected bite/scratch from playing or anothr nasty under the skin crawlie again? Faith is so upset that her kitty's have nasrty boo boo's.
default_sad.png
I just wish I knew more about kittens as this is the first time in my 34 yrs that I have ever owned them..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've cared for a lot of kittens, most of them rescues, in my life and I have to say that I've never seen (or even heard of) worms like you are describing. As a guess I'd say that the second kitten does have a worm in the swelling behind its ear, and it just hasn't broken open yet, but I could be wrong on that.

Ewww. I hope you can get them cleared up soon & never see anything like it again!

Many of the kittens we had come into the shelter with worms in their necks also clawed holes behind their ears. I think the worm area got itchy as it was healing and they couldn;t quite reach it to scratch so they scratched there and made themselves raw. But I never saw that area swell up. I'd probably only hold off on the vet for another day or two if things don;t improve. Kittens are tiny and don;t have a lot of resources to draw on when they get ill, they can fade out in a remarkably short period of time.

That would be Cuterebra sp. Do not pull them out! pulling them can release a toxin from the parasite causing a rection in the animal!!! It can cause anaphalactic responses so do not pull them!!!

Take them to the vet asap to have them treated. There was a post on here a while ago as someones dog had them I beleive.

Cheers

Masako

Edited to add: I will have to agree with minik ( see post below) ...I love my Merek manual! I dont know if there is an emerg clinic near you but if you can I wouldnt wait until monday those wounds can get very infected and if there is a pocket it can be a breeding ground for bacteria and cause an abcess with may then need surgical attention if they dont already now.

[SIZE=14pt]OMG...i can't believe you could handle doing that...my stomach feels all yukky just reading it
default_wacko.png
: ...good luck hope they are feeling better soon. Nikki
[/SIZE]

HI. First, I would take the kittens Monday for a check up with your vet...but the worms sound like maggots...we see our share of them at the animal ER clinic...just gently flush the wound with hydrogen proxide for now..until you get further instructions from your vet...if you do not want them to climb on you while you are working on the kittens (gross) you can put vasoline around your wrists...they will not crawl past the vasoline..it forms a barrier.

Good luck, Pam Kent

I can understand the money issue, if you have a real good humane society they should help, otherwise tell your vet money is tight and see if he is willing to help out. You may be surprised!! My vet a couple years ago only charged us $35 for my kids kitten that had gotten so sick she was hooked up to an IV for 2 days and stayed at the vets for 3!! I told him we could not afford to spend a lot of money and he asked me what we could and I told him honestly that 35 was the most, I never expected it to be that much after 3 days :new_shocked: definately a keeper vet!!! I even asked him if he was sure that it was only 35 and he said the animal is more important!! So go ahead and ask!!

I'm really concerned for your little ones, as I'm sure you are! It looks like there is a lot of tissue damage going on there. I hope they are on the mend soon. No matter what, make sure that you don't let those wounds on top close over - keep them cleaned off so that the inside tissue is healed before the outside tissue closes over it. I had a young kitten I was trying to care for with some very deep wounds and that was an ongoing problem.

Just wanted to add that they both are still acting fine.. Eating, drinking and playing around. No temps., but i am going to try to get them to the vets asap. As i said money well it isn't just there-- sold my son's four wheeler last week so I don't get behind on the rent. But, I pray that my vet will work with me on them. Faith just loves them as do I..I just would like to know why??SOme people get cats and never have any problems. The first time on my 34 yrs of life, we get cats and now this. Same as when Posie coliced. Some mini owners never have had to go threw it and have had horses for years. She was only with us a month and bamm.. Ever since her vet bill, well things have just spiraled down for us :no: . I don't want to sound like i want pitty, but geeze, why can't I have some what of a normal uneventful life.. :eek: Well the past 6 yrs. have been bad, maybe coming up on 7 will break the chain of bad luck???
default_wacko.png
: Sorry for venting.. Now back to the kitty's-- I am still not allowed to drive and hubby has to work tom. Sister has to, too. So the only way they will be able to get there is for me to "steal" a vehicle". It won't be until Thrus possibly before I can get a ride. And our farm call is 50.00 so that is out of the pic.. I will just make sure the kids stay at my dads while i go.. So soon as I can, i will give an update on what the dr. says.. I am still praying to be able to be one of those persons who doesn't have to pray to have enough for food.. Oh great, just remembered school clothes shopping
default_unsure.png
: I think it might be time for some :new_all_coholic: ..

Latest posts

Back