Update on Equine Dentist

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
Called the vet and found out the girls have already reported him to the Investigator for Vet. butt.She told him the story and I tried to call but only got a message machine.So will try again. My vet told me it is against the law for them to administer drugs.And a vet is to be present when a dentist is working on teeth.I feel now that I think about it more and more.It sure was stupid and dumm of me, to get him to do her.

Honey, the last person that should be blamed is YOU!!! That person killed your horse, you are a victim, not a perpetrator. I am so sorry, I feel so bad for you, your mare, and her poor little baby. I hope they make mincement of that !@#$!*& so called dentist!!!
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

That is good that your vet is working on reporting this. But please, don't blame yourself!!! The thing is that you were trying your best to do what is right for your mare. It is not you who was dumb or stupid for getting an equine dentist as sometimes they are better than the vets! But then again, sometimes vets are better than the dentists. And of course, some vets are better than other vets. Not your fault that this dentist didn't do his work properly! So stop blaming yourself!

There are a lot of good equine dentists out there and it can be so hard to tell the difference between the good ones and bad ones until the work has already been done. It is no different than good and bad vets or even good and bad doctors and dentists for us humans!

The way I see it is that I don't go to a doctor when I have a tooth ache for a reason... So why would a vet always be the best source for dental work on horses? But, the two should work VERY CLOSELY together and there should be tighter certification requirements for equine dentists that requires them to also carry malpractice insurance. And that equine dentist should not have been administering any drugs. It was his responsibility to follow all laws and to safely practice his profession. He knew that!

No, you are not dumb or stupid for contracting with him to help you with your horse. Hindsight is 20/20 and unfortunately you had no way of knowing the outcome. The thing is that this could have happened with a careless vet also. Any time one gets dental work done it can cause issues in us humans. It is no different in horses.

(((((hugs))))) and keep fighting for justice for you and your mare.

It is no way your fault at all PLEASE do not blame yourself for this sorry mess. This was NOT your fault it was that so and so who killed your horse's fault. Don't you go beating yourself up over this, as said you are the VICTIM in this!!

Oh sweetie, please PLEASE PLEASE do not blame yourself... Please...

I'm glad to hear that your vet is helping you out with this. Like I said, I do try to keep out of this topic, but I just feel it's so wrong for "Equine Dentists" to practice medicine without a license... and this is exactly why...

Again, I am so sorry for your loss...I can only imagine what you're going through - please know that we are all thinking of you and please...do not blame yourself...

I hope you are helping others by reinforcing that only your vet should sedate. Hopefully you'll be able to prevent this from happening to someone else.

Remember, this equine dentist is the one who broke the laws/rules....NOT you.

It also sounds like he didn't disinfect his tools properly which is an additional problem.

MA

ClickMini said:
Honey, the last person that should be blamed is YOU!!! That person killed your horse, you are a victim, not a perpetrator. I am so sorry, I feel so bad for you, your mare, and her poor little baby. I hope they make mincement of that !@#$!*& so called dentist!!! 
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif

432955[/snapback]

i agree, don't feel bad! I know better than to have him do my horses, I live in Sutton, Ontairo, so he could very well just show up here!! no $ from us tho
yes.gif

no.gif
so sorry

I agree, please don't blame yourself for this!!! First off I prefer using equine dentists for my horses teeth BECAUSE that is their speciality while for a vet it is not! Now many people won't use the equine dentist because they have to call the vet anyway to get the animal tranquilized so it's more expensive to do it this way and so they just use a vet to do teeth. As was said MOST equine dentists are extremely knowledgeable in their field and unfortunately you just hit a "bad apple" which can happen with either equine dentists or vets. Please don't beat yourself up on this one!

Since he broke the law, I am wondering why you just don't have him arrested.

Don't blame yourself ever for this. But justice should be served.

That is very sad about your mare and certainly not your fault so find comfort in that you only wanted done what you felt was the right choice for her at the time. Hope the foal brings you comfort and in my book a traveling salemen is still a traveling salesmen and l perfer to stick with someone that has a address listed in the yellow pages in my own country. Having said that they also can be horrors on wheels that shouldn't be trusted as far as they can be flung.

Please also contact the AAEP and report him for practicing medicine without a license:

American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP)

4075 Iron Works Parkway

Lexington, KY 40511

Phone: 859-233-0147

Fax: 859-233-1968

E-Mail: [email protected]

appymini said:
Called the vet and found out the girls have already reported him to the Investigator for Vet. butt.She told him the story and I tried to call but only got a message machine.So will try again. My vet told me it is against the law for them to administer drugs.And a vet is to be present when a dentist is working on teeth.I feel now that I think about it more and more.It sure was stupid and dumm of me, to get him to do her.
432949[/snapback]

What a nightmare of a situation.

sorry for your lose.

Are you saying that even if a equine dentist floats the horses teeth without sedating it that the vet has to still be there???

if that is the case it would be impossable to get any work done.

i am sure that each state has differant laws.

Brian :))
biggrin.gif
ohmy.gif
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back