Update on Day 26 Bute Toxicity

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintedLady

Reaction score
Well, I have to say that this has been a long road so far, but lately every day I see some sort of tiny improvement with my mare.

The main problem throughout has been that her protein levels were dropping and dropping. She had 3 plasma transfusions to medically support her until her body was well enough to begin producing it on her own. Actually, if I remember correctly it was all in one week. A Friday, a Tuesday, and a Friday.

She appears to have responded well to her medications. Throughout all of this I could not have asked for a better patient. She has taken all of her meds like a champ.

Her bloodwork from Saturday showed the first positive response. An actual increase in proteins without us giving her any. It was a very small amount, but at least it went up. Tuesday's bloodwork showed the same level. Ok, now we wait for today's results.

LONG STORY SHORT: More bloodwork today and as long as it is at least at the levels from this past Tuesday, she'll be on her way home. She'll even be on only one medication. Gastroguard!!!!!!! Love that stuff.

Side note: When her bloodwork kept coming back poor, she never "acted" the way you would think a horse would act if they were as low as she in fact was. We even questioned the lab at one point. It wasn't the lab. She is always bright. She is always happy to accept a treat or two. It all just seemed impossible.

KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED

And a big thank you for everyone's support through all of this so far.

THANK YOU THANK YOU

Jean & Piglet

Yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like Piglet is a real trooper!

Great news!! Boy I bet you will sleep better once this is all over!!

Beth

Jean

That is wonderful news. I am so happy all is turning out good for her. I do think the gastroguard

is a good ideal. She will be so happy to be back home and with her buddies. I been wondering

about her and praying.

Wishing you the best.

Vicky

Hi Vicky.

Thank you for your thoughts. We really appreciate it.

She's actually been with her buddy the whole time, but unfortunately I think he is getting sick of her. They've been stalled together in a 12' x 12' stall for the past 26 days. So I really can't blame my gelding. I was afraid in the beginning that she would get depressed if she were alone at a big horse barn all by herself in a huge stall, so I made the decision to send them both and hope for the best. Overall, they have done very well sharing a stall, but I can't wait to put them in their own stalls at home. Then they can see each other, but have their own personal space. He gets a little fiesty at times.

Actually, the better she gets, the more he wants to play.

I only have 2 little guys so they are my babies. You guys know what I mean.

Jean & Piglet

She's home!!!!! I am soooo excited. If everything goes ok, we'll pull more blood on Friday and see where she is at!!!

Jean & Piglet

Yeah Jean

I am so excited for you that she is home. I bet they are both excited to be home.

I hope things continue up wards for you. I know its been a week here. My mare Mystic

who foaled a month ago with the leopard app filly has had a week. She needed more shots

this year then in the past. She is a killer when giving in the butt, so I had to give in the neck.

I hate it. But she will sit on you, kick you, just what ever. Well its been a month, and

this week she got a knott on both sides of the neck, then on the right side on Tuesday,

I found a hole. It had absessed. Hope spelled right. Anyways so we took her to the Vet.

And her filly. Then another mare who has not been eating good too. Well they doctor mare,

we have a wonderful Vet. Came home all okay, still doctoring the mare. Then I decided

yesterday to clip the filly. Well that went bad, she flipped and put her leg in the fence,

and cut it open. So now I am doctoring both. The mare's neck, and her baby's leg.

What a mess. Never did get to finish clipping filly. She is cooler but looks horrible.

Well, back to you, I am so glad all turned out okay, will keep praying for her. By the

way what is the mare's name...

Vicky

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Hi Vicky!

The mare's name is Piglet. She's in the pic next to my name. The little little pinto.

You have had a horrible week. Unfortunetly I know how that feels and it isn't good. One thing right afer the other. When I first got Piglet to the vet's, my gelding cut his back leg in two spots and wasn't walking properly. I thought great, what else????? I'm not so sure I'll ask that question again, because it did get worse. But he is fine.

By the way, her first dinner at home, and she ate the whole thing!!!!!! She ate about half of it at dinner time and picked at it the rest of the night. I feel good about the fact she isn't gorging herself.

I just gave her morning meds and she dove right into breakfast. I'll take that any day.

Side note: I was able to give her meds without putting a halter on, but I don't think I'll be able to this afternoon. We put it into a syringe with water and squirt it into her mouth. She's getting a little fiesty.

All of this is a huge difference even from yesterday. Oh, and she's been banamine free for 7 days. And it's possible that she'll only be on gastroguard as of Monday, but she's getting about half the dose as of yesterday.

Jean & Piglet

Bless your heart..you have been through so much with your little Piglet..Thank goodness she is doing better and prayers your way for continued success. :aktion033: :aktion033: You are a wonderful horsey mama.

:aktion033: Jean we are all glad to hear all has gone wll for you and that your little Piglet is back home with you and Paul. We hope now that you are up to a some what normal life again we will see you guys at the shows again, :bgrin and we hope all stays to the good side of life for you guys, you've been thru enough for one year. Good luck D+B+C
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Jean, I didn't see the original post in which you talked about all this, but apparently your horse got too much bute and it became toxic? I'm just shuddering at the thought! I had a mare with an upwardly fixated patella and after surgery it didn't improve and one of the vets told me to give her bute... DAILY!!! I just refused to do it. I have it to her for three days post surgery and just couldn't do it any longer, as I was so frightened of the stuff.

I'm so happy to hear your mare is home and things seem to be on the upswing! Yikes... what a terrible thing to go through!

Latest posts

Back