Update on Court *shocking*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Don't ask me any questions, I don't understand this system and I'm crushed. It is what it is.

We spent one last time in a dreadful meeting with the DA's office today. Horrible.

The charges against Michael's killer are:

Murder 2 up to 25 years

Vehicular Homoside 3 to 6 years

Leaving the scene 1-2 years

The DA said the judge will throw out Murder 2 from the very beginning because the charge does not fit the crime. So I don't know why they charged that in the first place for sure so we lost that charge already. So that leaves the other 2 charges. The DA feels that he can get the low end of VH which would equal 2 to 3 years and at best 1 year on leaving the scene since he never had any other driving related charges on him before and that can be reduced. He said you just never know what the jury will decide and it's a crap shoot. They might just feel sorry for him and let him go free. This is nothing like what they told us a year and a half ago so we are in complete shock.

This is because we can not bring up the other two accidents he had that day, or that he was drunk and drugged since 7:00 AM that morning and continued on like that all day long, or shot his father in the head or runs a meth lab or has a history of violence and a long line of felonys. All the jury will know about him is that this is an inocent man until proven guilty that used bad judgement and was driving in a wreckless manner. They will not know what we do about him at all. Although we have people to testify he was drunk/drugged, he was not caught and tested for it so that will be considered "here-say"

As it stands now, the jury could let him go or at best, he could get 3-5 years with any luck.

There may a plea on the table and the DA wanted our input about it. That is really what this meeting today was about. That if they care to plea, we can avoid the trial completely. That they will settle out of court. By doing this, the DA would settle with him doing 6 years. If we leave it to the jury, again, he can get less, or possibly even go free.

Then there is the matter of us going to court. They see Hus as the only one of us that could possibly handle it. They are seeing Daniel as a loose cannon who cannot be controled which would cause a mistrial and me as a mom that cannot stop crying, since every time we have a meeting, the tears just won't stop and for Dan, the anger is beyond belief and it shows. They said the judge has ruled against us showing Michael's pictures, slide show, hearing about what kind of boy he was because that would prejudice the jury and I cannot address them at all. On top of everything, there are problems with security, the local media and drama and keeping them at bay. They think it is much safer way to go for us if they go for a plea and this way we are assured of 6 years. The worst thing is that if they do not entertain a plea, this trail can go on for years.

Either way, we are completely shocked, and upset, and reeling. This caught us all off guard and we didn't know what to say or what to think. As of right now, they said we had to stay by the phone all weekend long because they might decide to go for the trail or go for a plea right up to the hour when court begins on Tuesday morning. We do not know what happens next.

This legal system is insane.

In a way, it doesn't even surprise me. It is just sick. Absolutely sick.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

I'm very sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry Marty but I am not surprised either. The justice system seems to bring justice for the criminal not for the victim.

Marty, I am at a lost for words, but it doesnt surprise me... with the way our system works.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
(((hugs)))

Marty, i am so very sorry for you!! That sucks.

Oh Marty - I am totally flabbergasted - in shock, and utterly disgusted with our "system" - way to go courts - just let an innocent child be killed by a repeated offender who feels no remorse and who will more than likely repeat his crime again and another mother & family will be going thru what you have been going thru these past 18 months.

It just doesn't make sense, and it sure isn't "fair and impartial"

Hugs to you all (((( )))))

Stac

Marty, I'm sorry. Absolutely sucks, the only thing I can say - which doesn't help much at the moment - is that he WILL get what's coming to him in the end.

Jan

What I don't understand is...this is court! It should be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. It shouldn't be biased (to how it will affect him and his life), it should be based on EVERYONE affected. Unfortunately, Michael can't be there to speak about how it affected him...only his family is left to do that, and they aren't even allowing you guys the opportunity. It makes me sick!

Want to stop paying taxes/child support, get paid decent wages, and get food and shelter for free? Do a crime in America!
default_gaah.gif
I am soooo sorry for you and your family Marty.

That is insane!

I am so sorry for you and your family Marty. Hugs and prayers.

I am so sorry Marty. Many learn the hard way that with the justice system, there is no justice. At least not for the victims.
default_sad.png

Rob a convience store for 50 bucks or steal a case of beer & you'll get 18 months. Get in the county lock-up or federal system & they'll trade you army time @ 1yr for 6 county months or 1 to 3 yr for each federal year.

Mountain justice is in order here!
default_yes.gif
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

Marty, I am sorry. Your best bet now will be the sentencing. Hopefully you'll get a strict judge. It's at sentencing that a lot of that man's past can be presented.

Oh Marty

I am like the others very sadden by this news. The court system stinks. A dear friend of

mine was killed by his girlfriend about 8 yrs ago. She shot him and took several hours

to call the police. She got 5 yrs, and 2 yrs on probation. She is out and free and it was in

Dallas Texas. So the courts stink all over.

It is beyond belief he could walk out of that court a free man. But we can pray for Justice for

Michael. And I do believe he will face a higher Judge one day... in God. He won't walk away from

that Judge. I do understand that does not help your feeling now. I don't know how I would deal

with it. I do know you, Dan and Jerry will have the strength to get through this. Because your

doing it for Michael.

The pea as bad as it sounds, at least you know he will be off the streets for 6yrs. And Marty

he has to survive being in Jail. He will always have it on his record. The bad news, is like the

others said, he could do it again to someone else. It just makes me so sick.

Prayers and hugs for you all.

Vicky

Latest posts

Back