Update on 4 mo. filly with diarrhea....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
I managed to get my filly to eat some of the psyllium I had by putting a little sugar in it
default_thumbup.gif

Today is the 4th day and her diarrhea is gone ! I thought it was the hay but now I am sure it was the dirt/sand. She has her nose in everything ! I moved their feed box into the shed where I have stall mats because mama pushes the hay out onto to the dirt to get to the soft stuff and baby eats if off the dirt
default_gaah.gif

Thanks everyone for your advice, I LOVE this forum !!

Last edited by a moderator:
glad she is eating.Don't know what you are feeding for sand, but you can't beat a product called EQUUS.It is psyllium and is pellet form.Smells like licorice and they will eat it like candy.I order it from a catalog or online 20 +years experience with Minis and LOTS of sand colic.glad your baby is better.

Hi Bevann,

I ordered some Equus and it is on it's way. I have Equi-Aid here at home. I get it a little wet and put a tiny bit of sugar on it because she refused to eat it plain.

Bevann: Up til now the only product to prevent sand colic that I knew of is Sand Clear which is a powder. It is fairly sandy soil where I live so I'm worried about if the horse's intake too much sand. Do you use Equus as a daily preventative and can it just be mixed with their grain or fed plain? My mini gets grain so powder would work to give her but my average horse's do not receive grain so I have been debating on ways to get them to eat the powder without it meaning they need to eat grain as well.

Equus is not something you feed daily. It's usually a few days out of the month. It's what I use too and the horses will eat it when they wont eat any of the other psyllium products. I've been using it for years now and they will eat it even just mixed in with a handful of grain.

SO glad to hear your filly is doing better and back to normal! YEAH!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • I just buy the people stuff at Walmart, it's WAY cheaper. I buy the plain, not flavored. I sprinkle it over a little grain that has molasses in it and it sticks. I live at the beach so I have sand everywhere. My horse thinks it's a treat and he gets it every Sunday. I learned this from a vet after my horse got sand colic. I also think it's different for every horse. My last horse was the first horse to have this problem (I have had several horses in my time ) but then again this was my first mini.

Latest posts

Back