Filly with occasional diarrhea, I am baffled.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2minis4us

Reaction score
I have an almost 4 month old filly. She had been getting alfalfa with her mama. Recently I switched hay and bought some orchard/alfalfa mix. She got diarrhea right away so I put her back on alfalfa. Then the alfalfa gave her diarrhea and I put her on Timothy and it pretty much cleared up. After grazing today she gets it again. I am thinking it is because of the clover. Now I think I should keep her in the dry lot for few days to monitor her. I wormed her with Safeguard last week and have given her probios and rejuvinade.

Any ideas ? She is fine, not dehydrated. I am watching her closely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a mare with 'cow pie' poop. It was so bad when she came to us, we HAD to bob her tail. Her stall was a horrible mess. Bio Sponge is great..vet said not to be afraid to double the dose, then fade back to where it still works. What a lifesaver, except the others in the barn think she is getting special treats.

I feed 100% clover to my babies, it is one of the best ulcer preventatives I know for young horses....do not have problems with diarhea. That said changing hay at all can cause bouts of diarhea while your horses tummy adjusts its microflora to those appropriate for the digestion of the new hay (or any type of feed). Takes about a week for the digestive system to adjust to a new type of feed completely.

I have a little mare that needs sand clear once a month because of diarhea. Works great for her.

I hadn't though of ulcers. Thanks for the advice.

This morning her poop is more firm.

I did try pelleted psyllium the other day and she would not eat it. She did have bad diarrhea after grazing yesterday and there is lots of clover in the grass. Seems like when she just eats the timothy she does not get the diarrhea. I am going to buy some BioSponge also.

The thing is is she was fine on the alfalfa until I tried to change to a different hay that is softer and after that came the runs.

Diane, Thank you for your advice. What about the stems in the alfalfa ? Can that cause diarrhea ?

Alfalfa is rich and can have a laxative effect. Some horses are allergic to it, which can also cause diarrhea in some horses. It is the most highly digestible hay which is good, but some horses don't tolerate it well.

I absolutely agree with Diane, and no the stems do not cause diahrea- it's all the same plant. I would put her back on her alfalfa and give her a few days for her tummy to adjust. I would also put her on a dosage of phsyllium too though. I did have a foal on year that was awful put snorkeling in the dirt and got sanded! I use the Equus pellets. It's the only one my horses will eat. I mix it in with a bit of grain.

I ordered some Equus Psyllium since she won't eat the brand I have.

If alfalfa can be a laxative, should I feed it ? Would grazing cause the runs ? Now I am really confused.

This is just my opinion.

Alfalfa is not causing the runs. You had her on it before and she didnt have it then. She only got it after the change right? So her tummy is still trying to adjust to the changes and you have been trying to adjust to the runs and then her tummy keeps trying to adjust. Follow me? LOL
default_yes.gif
I agree with some of the others. Put her back on the Alfalfa and then give her some time to adjust back to it.

Ok, alfalfa it is, and I will keep you updated. Fingers crossed, and wish me luck : )

Back