Update of Eau Claire Horse Dealer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]UPDATE......MONDAY, SEPT 19th...[/SIZE]

I contacted the Sheriff's office and the District Attorney for Clark County this morning. The Patrol Sargeant is fully aware of this guy and it seems his preliminary hearing is set for Thursday at 10am in Neillsville's Municipal Court. The district attorney's office said he has no ATTORNEY OF RECORD, i.e., he hasn't taken the time to obtain counsel with regard to this matter.

IN THE MEANTIME, I asked the Patrol Sargeant if he would put a note on the guy's door, asking him to phone me, as I'd like to buy the horses from him. Yes, it's dealing with the devil, but I'm ready to do anything to help the horses. The Sargeant probably thinks I'm nuts, but it's not the first occasion someone has slapped that label on this old gal.

If my schedule allows, perhaps I might attend the hearing and talk with the meat buyer personally. It's a 3 hour drive, but worth the effort. I talked with a friend who has a 30-ft. trailer and will help me get the horses and as well as stable them, if necessary. I'll keep you posted on progress.

I have a list of folks who are offering homes....New Mexico, Virginia, Kansas, Nebraska and Madison. God bless them. Perhaps the next step is to see if we can get some shippers to accommodate a rescue baby on a trip, IF we get the babies and others if possible.

A special thanks to Tami of Oak Park Miniatures in the Madison, WI area who has offered to take in however many necessary, Mini Mule for offering to help find home, Virginia (Ginny) for offering money to purchase a horse, as well as Windemere and Vicki. May God bless each of you.

A cowboy friend has offered his 30ft trailer to help get horses....and offered to take some in until homes are found...his name is Tony Lassa of Rainbow Hill Paints in Merrill. He's a good egg and wonderful transporter that I've utilized in the past.

I'll keep you posted on the progress as events unfold!

Cindy

saludando.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgive me, but this auction's really had a profound affect on my heartstrings. My husband says I'm nuts, but I checked out public records and my gut instinct is correct.

Seems on April 23, 2005, the dealer was charged with the following, 15 counts:

11 Counts Importing without veterinary certificate

1 Failure to keep accurate livestock dealer records

2 Deposit Animal Carcas (dead horses on board?)

1 Intent/failure provide water to animal

Case number is 2005CM000275. Clark County begins it's case on THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 22nd against this individual. The PROSECUTING District Attorney is Richard Lewis.

Contacted the Clark County Sheriff's Department and relayed the information and asked if someone could be sent to the known address of the dealer to check up on the horses. I left my name, address and phone number in case the authorities choose to confiscate the horses and a home is needed.

IF WE CAN GET THESE HORSES AWAY FROM THIS GUY, IS THERE ANYONE WILLING TO TAKE CARE OF ANY?...........If so, please PM me and I'll keep you posted.

IN THE MEANTIME........concerned participants of the auction can register their concerns with the Clark County Sheriff's Office at 715/743-3157. It's the only way we can shut something like this down.

Thanks for your concern and time.

Cindy

Last edited by a moderator:
If any forum members who attended the sale were offended by the presence of and the subsequent handling of the minis at HIS VENUE, I found the auction's brochure and the Sales Manager is Bud Hayes of Ellsworth, Wisconsin. The phone number on the catalog is 715-792-2548.

What I find interesting is the catalog's stated limited liability firmly stated. More fascinating is the paragraph which reads:

Management does not act as agent, but merely provides the location for transactions between buyer and seller

Which begs the question, if the Auction's Sales Manager is aware that a certain buyer is there for purposes of sending the horses for "kill" or a seller consistently comes into the ring and misrepresents their animals and he/she knowingly allows them to continue in this path.....it it a legal or moral obligation to make EVERY EFFORT to ensure that both parties in a transaction have some form of protection.

For instance, at the Nolan Auction in Marion, WI, Mr. Nolan states at the onset of the horse sale what the definitions of a sound and unsound horse are "specifically". Wouldn't it make sense to identify those bidding who are card carrying "kill" buyers....or would that take an act of legislature?

I will not attend this sale, as the inhumane treatment of two specific breeders with their horses just turned my stomache! They were the ones who had not problem with their babies being shoved onto a trailer. My hope is that because their horses went for subterranean prices, that they'll rethink their mini horse "business" and take up something that doesn't require the nurturing of living beings.

Just sayin is all..............

They won't because the One seller sold a Mini at the Equity horse sale the night before in Eau Claire. for $75 So He was fully aware of what the public would pay for his horses...

I am not sure what can be done, if he did something illegal I could see that could get the horses away from him. If you all figure this out, Please let me know. I can't unfortnuately take a bunch of them on, but I certainly could help with monies to get the horses transported to there new homes.

If someone called the sherriff and had them go out there to look, all he would have to say is he purchased them in the condition that they are in?? Maybe if someone called the humane society. I don't know I am at a loss here. But I will be more than willing to HELP. Like I said, we could take a few on to fatten up until they can get to a new home. But the only true way I think I could help would be in getting them moved out of there if that is at all possible

Lara n David Pier

I have one question? Was this strictly a mini sale? Or were there big horses there too??

bdazzled, this was a mini sale with a couple of grade ponied, no "biggies".

i was at the sale too and got a filly that he was bidding on (i outbid him). i bid on quite a few of the weanlings and hopefully got them high enough to keep some from him.

jennifer

Unfortunaly this is an old trick they have picked up on from big horse auctions.

Meat buyers, disgust people and they try to out bid them, making the auctioner more money. It is the auctioner that allowed the kill buyer to register and get horses becuase he knew how low the market is and wanted to get higher bids.

If the auctioner cant be persuaded, then the only option is to boycot this sale. Get the word out there locally and to all mini farms you can contact, becuase if we dont stop it at this stage it is going to become the norm as it has for the big guys.
sad.gif

If you have a brochure from the sale, contact the people that sold their horses at that sale, whether by phone or letter and let them know what kind of people they are dealing with and maybe they wont do business with them anymore.

[SIZE=14pt]UPDATE......MONDAY, September 19th![/SIZE]

I contacted the Sheriff's office and the District Attorney for Clark County this morning. The Patrol Sargeant is fully aware of this guy and it seems his preliminary hearing is set for Thursday at 10am in Neillsville's Municipal Court. The district attorney's office said he has no ATTORNEY OF RECORD, i.e., he hasn't taken the time to obtain counsel with regard to this matter.

IN THE MEANTIME, I asked the Patrol Sargeant if he would put a note on the guy's door, asking him to phone me, as I'd like to buy the horses from him. Yes, it's dealing with the devil, but I'm ready to do anything to help the horses. The Sargeant probably thinks I'm nuts, but it's not the first occasion someone has slapped that label on this old gal.

If my schedule allows, perhaps I might attend the hearing and talk with the meat buyer personally. It's a 3 hour drive, but worth the effort. I talked with a friend who has a 30-ft. trailer and will help me get the horses and as well as stable them, if necessary. I'll keep you posted on progress.

I have a list of folks who are offering homes....New Mexico, Virginia, Kansas, Nebraska and Madison. God bless them. Perhaps the next step is to see if we can get some shippers to accommodate a rescue baby on a trip.

Does anyone know Pat Madison, she had the stallion Lot 48. I think it may be her that I saw go back several times to talk to him about her stud, not knowing his future was so grime. I don't know if this is wrong or right but I went into anywho.com and found two Pat Madison with the area code the same as Eau Claire, 715. I tried to call both numbers but no one answered. I'm thinking I should tell her so maybe she can still try to rescue him, I think he got that little fat blue eyed homozygous stud too. I think he got a few studs as they were so cheap and most so fat. He'd stand there and look them up and down, obviously sizing there meat up. I can't believe I didn't catch on sooner, just didn't think they'd be at a mini sale. But I don't know what's left of the studs that were in the trailor, I'm sure some are dead or down. I'm not sure if this would be a kind thing or an unkind thing to see if I couldn't get ahold of this person, being she was so concerned about the new buyer to her stud whom she obviously cared alot about. Cindy, I'll help out financially, I could even see if Donna would want to run over to Neilsville on Thursday, I'm sure it'll be an open court hearing but I hate to say this but I'm sure he'll walk out with a smirk on his face and a slap on the wrist, that's probably why he has no lawyer, why would he want to spend the money when he's probably been through this before. I'd really like to know what's become of the studs that were fighting. It was horrible.

Do you have any suggestions in how to educate these people[breeders] who sell minis at auction just for some small profit? So often we are told to mind our own business but I would really like to be part of the solution to this problem. I know people who raise minis and ponies for selling at auctions and if they get $150.00 for each colt they are happy and continue to do it the next year. And there are many horse traders who buy and resell for a profit. So sad. Mary

DunPainted said:
If any forum members who attended the sale were offended by the presence of and the subsequent handling of the minis at HIS VENUE, I found the auction's brochure and the Sales Manager is Bud Hayes of Ellsworth, Wisconsin.  The phone number on the catalog is 715-792-2548.
What I find interesting is the catalog's stated limited liability firmly stated.  More fascinating is the paragraph which reads:

Management does not act as agent, but merely provides the location for transactions between buyer and seller

Which begs the question, if the Auction's Sales Manager is aware that a certain buyer is there for purposes of sending the horses for "kill" or a seller consistently comes into the ring and misrepresents their animals and he/she knowingly allows them to continue in this path.....it it a legal or moral obligation to make EVERY EFFORT to ensure that both parties in a transaction have some form of protection.

For instance, at the Nolan Auction in Marion, WI, Mr. Nolan states at the onset of the horse sale what the definitions of a sound and unsound horse are "specifically".  Wouldn't it make sense to identify those bidding who are card carrying "kill" buyers....or would that take an act of legislature?

I will not attend this sale, as the inhumane treatment of two specific breeders with their horses just turned my stomache!  They were the ones who had not problem with their babies being shoved onto a trailer.  My hope is that because their horses went for subterranean prices, that they'll rethink their mini horse "business" and take up something that doesn't require the nurturing of living beings.

Just sayin is all..............

469349[/snapback]

Well like I said before One of those "breeders" sold a mini the night before at another auction held at night in Eau Claire Just a few miles away from Saturdays auction, and Only got 75 dollars for that one and it was not that bad in shape..although I did not go and look at the little one up close I did see him sold in the ring... So even at that 75 dollars, the guy knew the general public, and their idea of just how much they would spend on his horses....

I only went because a friend of mine was going to buy some take and stuff there to give away later as some gifts and things. And that was on Friday night...

Both of these guys have been long time breeders, the one used to show alot and the other I think used to own Sids Rebel, he has a couple of his sons. Years ago, that is. These guys aren't going to stop raising minis, they both see nothing wrong in what they do. The almighty dollar speaks to them loud and clear, they obviously don't have a conscience and you can't install that in people, especially old men that have been doing this for years. So I doubt that anything can be done to make them stop what they do, I think theres alot of this type of people in the country, to bad a person doesn't have to have a liscense to produce animals and be approved.

Marnie I agree....As I sat through most of the sale and well I really felt a few tug at my heart strings for sure
no.gif
But I just could not at this time buy any, even one...But, well maybe in the spring.

I agree with both Marnie and shminifancier. There are probably always going to be people like this learking around - unfortunate as it may be. I have often thought the same thing as Marnie - there should be some sort of a license for those who breed animals - even dogs and cats...

I just now got around to reading the other sale thread--frankly, when I saw the title about the sale in Eau Claire, I wasn't expecting it to be what it is.
no.gif

I don't see Mini foals selling for $100 & going to the slaughter house, or even into a feed lot until they grow up some--the money just isn't there when it comes to the little ones going to slaughter. But, if that's all these foals were bringing at this sale, I have to wonder how it's worth it for the guy to buy them & then resell them as pets--if the pet market is there, thses "breeders" shouldn't be having to run their foals through this sale. Since the guy made the comment that "they're only going to die anyway" when someone told him the fighting stallions must be separated, he obviously isn't planning on reselling all of them as pets. My first thought was they'd go for pet food--tigers, alligators...I know someone that would take a little foal for that purpose, but I'm not sure he'd be willing to pay that much.

Regardless of where these horses were meant to end up, it's just so wrong that they were being subjected to that sort of treatment after the sale. Letting stallions fight, dragging terrified little foals onto the trailer, that in itself makes this whole deal horrific, no matter what future the guy had in mind for them.

And to those who want to educate breeders so they stop selling their foals in this manner, I'm afraid that is never going to work. There's always been people like this around, & no doubt always will be. And it's like anything else...those of us who care cannot turn away & not try to save these little horses, and yet by rescuing them/buying them up at sales like this, we encourage the breeders to bring more horses next year.

What was that kill buyers name? You can PM me if anybodt would somebody on another board is asking for his name and also want me to PM them privately? So if anybody knows that guys name as I can't find it in any of the posts Thank You Sam H,.

Hosscrazy said:
I also didn't pay attention to this thread at the time... 
no.gif

Here's the link to the other thread.

http://minihorse.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=45047

Honestly, I cannot read it in it's entirety. I am just sick... 
no.gif

469607[/snapback]

I found the case and posted the link to it along with ALL names on that pageincluding that slime balls name.. Isn't the interent interesting at times ytou can get records like this because they are public records??

Back