Upcoming Fundraising Event! Ribbons for Linda Cookbook!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Hello All,[/SIZE]

November is pancreatic cancer awareness month, so it’s a great day to start off another fundraiser in memory of Linda Best.

Linda was a notable horsewoman in the miniature horse world. Her family was a big part of her life and helped with everything on and off their farm. In the spring of 2008 Linda and her family received some devastating news. Linda was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She and her husband, like most farriers, were self-employed with no health insurance. This resulted in a hardship for her family. Over the past year many friends and family members came forward to help the Best family so Linda could focus on battling this horrible disease. Sadly, on May 24th Linda passed away.

Ribbons for Linda continues to raise awareness and funds to help pancreatic cancer research. We have held two miniature horse shows and a trail ride for the “big horses” in 2008 and 2009. We have also organized many raffles and other smaller fundraisers. Everything has been such a great success.

The next fundraiser will be a “Ribbons for Linda Cookbook.” The first $300 raised will go towards insurance for 2010 fundraising events. The rest of the proceeds will go towards pancreatic cancer research in memory of Linda Best. We need YOUR help by donating your favorite home-cooked recipes. The categories will be appetizers, soups/salads/sides, entrees, and desserts. Please feel free to summit as many as you’d like between November 1st and January 15th. If you don’t want your name to be mentioned in the cookbook, please tells us that you’d like your name to be anonymous in your email. The cookbooks will be ready in early March. These will be just in time for Easter, Mother’s Day, and horse shows. Send your recipes to the Ribbons for Linda email account.

Future fundraising events in 2010 will be a miniature horse show held at the Cumberland Fairgrounds , Cumberland, Maine and a miniature horse drive at Maudslay State Park, Newbury Port, Massachusetts.

Please pass this along to your family and friends, so we can make a great cookbook!

Any other suggestions for fundraising are welcome!

Thank you!

Makayla Carpenter

Email: [email protected]

Phone #: (207) 361-2242

P.S. We will be updating our Facebook Fan Page regularly. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ribbons-for-...71514230?ref=ts

How awesome, Makayla!!!! Thank you so much for doing what you do!!! You bet I'll submitt some recipes!!

Linda was an awesome human being, and was always happy to answer my never ending questions. I really miss her.
default_sad.png

What a wonderful reason to put together a cookbook of the LB recipes. Fantastic.

Should we post our recipes here on the Back Porch or PM them to you?

We all miss Linda a great deal. It is a great thing to keep her memory fresh and alive. She was such an inspiration.

Hi,

Please email your recipes to Makayla at [email protected] and she will pull it all together. It will be easier for her if we try to have similar formats.

This is a sample for submitting your recipes. There are a couple of tips you will need to follow.

1. Enter your recipe name.

2. Provide either your first and last name or anonymous

3. Select the Category for your recipe. (Appetizers, Soups, Salads, Sides, Entrees, Desserts)

For the recipe:

1. Don’t use bullets.

2. Use the (~) tilde symbol for the (°) degree symbol. The publisher switches the (~) to the (°) degree symbol at press time.

3. List your ingredients.

4. List your directions.

5. Indicate number of servings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAMPLE RECIPE

Feijoada – Bean Soup [Category]

Ingredients:

1 pound black beans

6 cups water

1 pound ham

1 pound pork loin, cubed

3/4 pound hot Italian sausage

1 pint cherry tomatoes

1 onion, chopped

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

6 cloves garlic, minced

1/8 teaspoon orange rinds, grated or orange spice

Directions:

Soak beans overnight; drain. Preheat oven to 350~F. Combine all ingredients in Dutch oven. Bring to boil, uncovered, on stove top. Cover and transfer to oven. Bake 90 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 30 minutes. Cool overnight in refrigerator. Remove fat and reheat.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Serves: 4

Submitted: Your Name or Anonymous

Makayla- You never cease to amaze me. What a great idea for a whole bunch of reasons. I will send in a recipe or two.

Mary

What a great idea, i've been wanting a cookbook with LB members recipies. I'll be sending some of mine out to you.

The goal we have for the Ribbons For Linda cookbook is 300 recipes. Guess how many recipes Makayla has received? ONE! Come on everyone, 100% of the proceeds is going to pancreatic cancer research. This is pancreatic cancer awareness month. Let's go for it and raise a lot of money for a great cause! Please email them to [email protected].

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the support! As of now, I have three recipes! :D Keep them coming!

Thanks!

Makayla

I'm going to get going on some recipes this weekend and send them to Makayla!! And I'm excited to do it!!!

Come on everybody! This is for such a great cause!!!!

Thanks Joyce! Please send as many as you want. There is no limit. Makayla, David and I having been typing, typing, typing away. One good thing about it is all our favorite recipes will be in one place instead of scattered all over. Feel free everyone to do the same!

Hey Everyone!

After two very short weeks we already have 72 recipes in the cookbook! That's a great start. Our goal is 300 recipes so we can create an awesome book. Keep the recipes coming! :D

Thanks!

Makayla

Latest posts

Back