Ummmm...I got milk!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity_Acres

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I got some questions. My mare is approximately 321 days give or take (she was pasture bred). Her belly is dropped and when I was looking her over tonight. Her bag is tight and warm. I was able to express some colostrum. I'm a newbie with this. Relatively how soon can I expect a foal? Hours or days? She's not acting laborish. I'll post some pictures of her in a little bit. She was maiden last year and aborted at 10 months. We for sure want to be there for her. I don't have a barn cam. Am I spending the night in the barn tonight??

I'm a nervous wreck!! :new_shocked: Can ya tell??? (breathe, breathe, breathe....)

Janine

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not an expert, but I have foaled a few mares, and if she were mine, I would be spending the night in the barn. I tend to be over-cautious, but I've not lost a foal to date (KNOCK ON WOOD). Can't wait to see the pictures of her! Hard to say for sure, but it will be soon!!!

Good Luck, you'll have a baby soon!

Jodi

Here are pictures I took just about 15 minutes ago...

Peanut at 321 days???

pnut041707.jpg

pnut041707b.jpg

pnut041707c.jpg

booty.jpg

teats.jpg

teats2.jpg

milk.jpg

Bump! :new_shocked:

She looks close to me! Is her milk that you express, thick and sticky? Like syrup? If so, I wouldn't leave her. She could foal at anytime. Good luck and let us know.

BTW, I used pink vet wrap on my first three mares that foaled and I got 3 fillies! Have to get some more pink now as I only have blue and have another mare due in about a week!
default_smile.png

Yes, it's sticky...her teats still point inward tho. I'm hoping for a filly. She lost a colt last year. I'm so worried!!! Something tells me I'll be taking tomorrow off.

If the milk is thick like molasses, I'd be watching her. I had a mare foal last week whose nipples stayed close together. Normally they spread apart, but nothing is set in stone! LOL!

I bet the foaling goes just fine.
default_smile.png

I'd say you'll be having a little foaling party very soon!
default_yes.gif
:

Can't wait to see her baby, she's a pretty little girl
default_wub.png
:

Jodi

THat's not actually colostrum... its "premilk". You can get that as early as a month or two before foaling
default_smile.png
When it turns white/yellow and sticky, that's colostrum.

I compared it to Crayonbox Minis's pictures on her website and I'm pretty sure it's colostrum... "Got colostrum" wasn't as catchy as "Got Milk"
default_wink.png
:

It is yellow and very sticky.

I've been checking on her all through the night...every hour. I"M SO TIRED!!! But my excitement is keeping me going. As of 8:00am there's no baby...but boy, there was a lot of movement all through the night.

If infact she is going to foal soon, it would explain her flighty spooky behavior over the last week or so.

Right now, I need to head to Tractor Supply to get some supplies. I"m waiting for my son to wake up to watch her.

Heck, when I had my own kids I didn't have my suitcase packed and they all came early! I have most everything for my kit...just need a couple "just in case" items.

I'll keep ya'll posted!! :saludando:

The 2 mares we have had foal so far this year did not express anything other than clear liquid before foaling, so your mare may go at any time. jennifer :saludando:

While I agree with the others that she could go anytime now, my opinion is she won't go for a few days yet. What about other signs? What about the muscles around the tail head - are they really slack? Her vulva doesn't look all that relaxed yet but you'd know better what it's usually like. And what about her manure. Is it soft and kind of like cow pies? Is there more of it than usual? Is she acting like she'd rather be alone and separate from the other horses? These are just some of the other "symptoms" you can look for which may or may not ever appear.

I certainly wish you well. Don't lose too much sleep, though!

[SIZE=14pt]Well, so far no baby...
default_wacko.png
:
[/SIZE]

Barnbum,

Weeks?? Yikes... :new_shocked: Do you have pictures of your mare that I can compare Peanut too? Sounds like our girls are very close. Hmmmmmmm... Anyone want to wager on who's baby comes first? I'm going to be very selfish and say ME FIRST, ME FIRST!!! :saludando:

Hey Trinity I think I have peanuts' sister :bgrin We don't know when she is due but she is getting close too.
moonlight.jpg

Sorry I think it posted twice.

Back