Ulcer Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapestry Minis

Reaction score
One of our big Paint horses developed an ulcer and we are just about to complete his treatment. We went with the Ranitidine 3 times a day for 14 days instead of the Omeprazole (sp) for financial reasons
default_smile.png
I'm starting him on Neigh-Lox to carry over after his treatment. I'm still having a hard time getting weight on him. I don't want to over do it and feed him too much as one of his major issues was lack of water consumption. He is doing better with that now. I'm giving him 2lbs of soaked beat pulp with his Neigh-lox and 1 cup of vegetable oil twice a day and 5 lbs of alfalfa/grass hay. I'm wondering if there is anything else I could add in that wouldn't be so harsh on his tummy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

One of our big Paint horses developed an ulcer and we are just about to complete his treatment. We went with the Ranitidine 3 times a day for 14 days instead of the Omeprazole (sp) for financial reasons
default_smile.png
I'm starting him on Neigh-Lox to carry over after his treatment. I'm still having a hard time getting weight on him. I don't want to over do it and feed him too much as one of his major issues was lack of water consumption. He is doing better with that now. I'm giving him 2lbs of soaked beat pulp with his Neigh-lox and 1 cup of vegetable oil twice a day and 5 lbs of alfalfa/grass hay. I'm wondering if there is anything else I could add in that wouldn't be so harsh on his tummy.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Adding yeast will help a lot. I do work with Off the track TB's and they all get this when they first arrive. I buy Pur-A-Yeast by purina. 1 scoop twice a day with their meals and even if they have ulcers they seem to pick up quickly. I also feed a high protien food. For me I use Inside Track. It doesn't make any horse hot but does help pack the wieght on them.

I've had good luck with a product called Stomach Soother - it's basically papaya pulp/juice, smells like vomit to me LOL but the horses love it and it seems to have a very settling effect. www.stomachsoother.com

I've had good luck with a product called Stomach Soother - it's basically papaya pulp/juice, smells like vomit to me LOL but the horses love it and it seems to have a very settling effect. www.stomachsoother.com

Jan

I have had GREAT luck with GUT. It is a powder suppliment that soothes the stomach and contains pre and probiotics. It also comes in a paste for times of immediate need. Jeffers carries it as well as Big Dee's.

Thanks everyone with your input so far.... I have him on Neigh-lox to help coat his stomach so my bases are covered there. I was doing a little more compairing tonight and was wondering if anyone has tried TractGard? It's much more economical and seems to have just as many positive reviews as the Neigh-lox.

happy appy: I don't have great access to specialty feeds so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the yeast you mentioned but I'll sure see if I can locate some.

wildoak: I've seen the stomachsoother and was wondering if there were any other ingredients than Papaya? They don't really say on their website. Was thinking of just pureeing some of my own as a treat
default_smile.png

Any other ideas for weight gain that wont cause more digestive upset. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
With regard to weight gain could you perhaps let us know -- the actual size of your horse, his type/build, whether he has access to good/poor/no pasture/how many hours etc etc. I am asking this as depending upon his pasture access, I have to say that your total amounts of feed + oil do seem to be low for a horse? We always worked out a very basic food intake amount by doubling the size of the horse ie. a 15 hand horse would require 30lbs of 'food' per day. This of course would break down into % of pasture, % of bulk feed and % of hard feed (grain) and would also depend upon amount of work (if any) required of the horse, and on the type of horse - good doer/bad doer.

For example - a 15 hand horse stabled at nights and going out on reasonable pasture all day, would have , say, a breakfast of 2 lbs of hard feed (including a balancer to give him all necessary minerals and vitamins etc), then out to graze. In at teatime to another 2lbs of hard feed and balancer and approx 8 to 10 lbs of hay for overnight, (this horse would be used for intance for pleasure rides at the weekend/occasional weekday) After a couple of weeks I would reassess and either increase or decrease the amounts depending upon the individual horse and the 'work' required, plus the amount of time he was actually grazing.

The idea of doubling the horse's size to give a ball park food figure to work from is certainly not an actual science by any means, but it does give you a basis and you can then adjust everything from there depending upon the individual horse and his life style.

Hope this helps a little.

Anna

Lisa: believe it or not that has been my biggest struggle is finding good quality straight alfalfa hay right now. The guy I'm buying from now has been recommended by everyone I ask but he doesn't even COVER IT!!! So we are throwing a good portion of it away with mold etc. It's great quality I just have to pick out the moldy edges. We hope this coming season we can buy for the whole year plus add pasture and barn/shelter to alleviate the issue all together. But it all takes $$$
default_smile.png

AnnaC: He is a 16.2" Paint Horse I would say more TB style than bull dog type, high withers etc.... I would say in good weight he is 1200 lbs +/- We don't have access to pasture at the moment. I believe that is what caused him to get the ulcer as he's been stalled all winter. The snow has been too deep to do anything outside. We just moved to this place in June and were never able to afford fencing or a barn before the winter hit as we were still carrying our previous house mortgage along with our new house. I'm sure the amounts I listed are a bit low and just for the fact that he was colicing when I was feeding more due to his ulcer leading to lack of adequate water intake. He seems to be doing better with that so we've bumped his hay to about 12# per day in three feedings then his 4lbs beet pulp (hubbie corrected me...LOL), 1 cup veg oil, Neigh-lox AM/PM I did try to bump his veg oil up to 2 cups but he wasn't real happy with that. We were feeding SafeChoice when we lived in TX but dropped that when we moved back here. Never had to feed a concentrated feed when we lived in Idaho before as our hay supply was a lot better and more consistent. I just wasn't sure if a concentrated feed like SafeChoice or any others would be harsh on a healing tummy.

Hi Christine, thanks for the response and info -- he sounds like a really super horse! It is always so difficult to answer posts/give advice when you dont have either the full story or know whether you are 'talking' to an experieced person or not. I hope you didn't take offence from anything that I said!

The weather that so many of you have suffered this winter must have made things so very difficult for you all. From your post it sounds as though you are doing the very best that you can for your boy -- roll on Spring!!

Sorry I cant help with the ulcer side of things, but I just dont have the experinece. So I will just wish you and your boy all the very best, I'm sure that with the help of others here on LB you will soon get him sorted. Good luck with your new place! And do keep in touch to let us all know how things progress.

Anna

I have a 'ulcer-prone' mini. He is and always has been, a very sensitive little horse, and could be described as 'reactive' in some ways,even though he is smart and the most willing worker I have. He has also been a near lifetime cribber--some of these are things that may predispose to ulcers.

Here's some things that have worked w/ him.I won't claim that this specific regimen will work w/ all horses, only that it seems to have worked for this little horse.

I also went the ranitidine route--4-150 mg. tabs(he weighs @ 220 lbs.) three times daily, but for a total of six weeks. JMO, but two weeks seems a really short 'treatment' period...did your vet recommend this time span? When he seemed to be showing slight symptoms of discomfort after about a month after his latest treatment period, I put him BACK on the ranitidine, and over several weeks, have very gradually decreased the dosage, and am now down to one-4 tab dose once a day.

Increasing feedings to a MINIMUM of three a day.

Feeding a high percentage of good alfalfa, as well as good grass-and for his size, a LOT of hay. I spend a good deal of time sorting through the grass(this year...UGH!), as I ended up w/ some that is over-mature and overdry, so try to sort out the 'straw-like' strands AND the 'powdered' stuff that ends up on the 'floor' of my hay prep surface(too-dry hay plus plain old DIRT.)I don't dare feed such stuff; I don't think it is safe for my horses, even those who would eat it(my ulcer horse is picky and probably would leave it, but I simply don't risk it.)

Minimizing the amount of concentrate. I have read that research shows that concentrates are MUCH harder to properly digest for horses than forage, the feed they evolved to eat. I give this horse(now a 14 YO) a minimal amount of TC 'Lite' mixed w/ a minimal amount of a senior 'pellet' by HiPro twice daily, primarily as a 'carrier'for the other 'stuff'; I add plain salt, some UGard, a small amount of Formula 747(he lost a LOT of condition, and noticable weight, during his latest bout w/ ulcers, but is looking MUCH better, although still not really 'in condition', after this winter), and, very helpful I believe, a product from Omega Fields which is a stabilized ground flax combined w/ a yeast product. At the early PM feeding, my horses all get soaked beet pulp; this horse gets about 4 1/2 cups, served extra wet, as is one other who wasn't as good on water intake--with his PM UGard, small amount of concentrate mix, and salt.

I have just 'invested in' several Slow feed hay bags from Busy Horse, but have yet to set them up for use. YEARS ago, I offered my idea of a way to feed hay from a 'small openings' hay bag to a friend who was concerned about a hay belly in a tiny gelding she'd gotten from me. MY BAD, I never followed up on it for myself--and now EVERYONE and his uncle is making 'slow feeders' and selling them! At least, there is now experience being reported--what works, what doesn't, etc.--and I am looking forward to seeing if the concept will work for my horses. I DO BELIEVE that it is VERY important to try to create a situation where a horse feeds on forage slowly, and as CONTINUOUSLY as possible! For those of us who do NOT have pasture(or hardly ever, as in my own case), this is doubly important, IMO. I think 'slow feeding' is one of the best concepts that is finally being embraced in many years, and I HOPE that I can make it work with my horses!

Lastly, letting a horse OUT to be able to move around as much as is reasonably possible, is also, IMO, VERY important. This winter, when the snow was 8" deep, I'd turn my 'barn' horses(who have 12' square stalls, roomy for minis, but still, very restrictive to be 'shut into' for very long, at ANY time, IMO) out. I have about 4 acres of 'native' grass-sparse due to drought years and the plain fact that this IS the desert SW. They could and would run around, paw through the snow for a bit of 'chewing' on the sparse grass, in general, just be able to be horses. They have roomy runs off of their stalls, but still 'need' to get out, esp. when the weather isn't allowing regular 'work'.

Best wishes to you in successfully treating this always-difficult condition!

Margo

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to clarity, is he getting 12 lbs of hay split between three feedings (4lbs three times a day) or is it 12 lbs three times a day?

If its just 12lbs split in three feedings, you need to increase it quite a bit. Thats not even 2% of his body weight, which is a maitenance amount for a horse his size. If hes thin, he needs more than the maintenance amount. With a recent ulcer and colic, Hay is the best thing for him right now, and one of the safest. If you cant find a good grass/alfalfa mix, get the best grass hay you can, and add alfalfa cubes. Any tractor supply can get them, and most feed stores carry them as well. Alfalfa has great stomach soothing properties, which is great for ulcer prone horses. The cubes provide more long stem fiber, so if your using alfalfa in place of adequate hay, your better to choose the cubes over the pellets. With my mare we made her a mash of beetpulp, oil, and alfalfa cubes, soaked in warm water. At first she refused to eat it (always was picky) so we were putting a handful of sweetfeed on top. Normally we dont use sweetfeed, but it was a VERY small amount to a full sized horse to get her to eat the mash. Once she was eating the mash good, we removed the sweetfeed. She was getting this along with eating about 20 lbs of hay a day, and an extruded senior grain. She was not started on gran again until we were out of the woods with the colic and ulcer though. The senior feed was blue seal vintage senior. They renamed the grain, but I cant remember the new name.

Do you have a picture?

Latest posts

Back