TWINKLE JUST WONT PUT WEIGHT ON!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, am glad someone translated some of this, LOL I was lost too!

This sounds like an awful lot of feed for a Mini, who are usually easy keepers.

You mentioned his teeth were fine. Perhaps the front of his bite is even, but have you had his teeth actually CHECKED? I have seen Minis as young as a year already have hooks, points, and other things wrong in the back, that were just ripping up the insides of their cheeks. One was so bad that he would flip over on a halter because his mouth hurt so badly- and he was a poor keeper too. He was only two!

Sometimes excercise and driving can increase the appetite and will build muscle as well. May help build some meat over his back and get him to utilize his food better too.

I agree I would go with a complete Senior feed too to help, along with his hay..... and make sure he is not wormy- your vet can test.... not sure what you are using for a worming product.

hi laurie, yes it is a lot for a mini, i have just had him driving so i hope eventually this will help his top line, i stable both my horses out the back of a vets practice, and the first thing i had done was to have his teeth looked at, the vet said they were fine, he didnt see a problem with his weight, BUT i do, i can feel his backbone and his hunches, and he is a really fussy slow eater...so i am not happy...he was fed cattle silage when i first bought him which i think has damaged his stomach
default_sad.png

he is regualerly wormed,and i have had him on bio yogurt also when i first got him, but it didnt do anything, i have also tried blue chip, and nothing,,,,so now he has been on this rationing for about a year now, and im not seeing an improvement .thats why im asking...thank you

edited to add...irish mini, i was going to ignore that last comment,after what you publicy called me on here the other night,im surprised you havent been banned along with your friends, but i shall just say that ,im sure the QUEENS horses are happy in there stalls,24/7 as are the top race horses and show jumpers who are also stalled 24/7,

any one who knows me know my horses recieve the BEST care and attention,

i will not be fooled into making this an argumentitive thread, i have on this forum a lot longer than you, and i will still be on here after you get bored, and dont intend to be drawn into any more childish games

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe twinkle is depressed!!..

i am a great advocate of keeping horses as natural as possible....

this means outside in large fields with horsey companions........and not in a 10 by 10 box 22 hours a day..

would you be happy....
Actually the answer to that is yes many horses are perfectly happy that way in fact look at all the top hunter jumpers/ dressage horses, olympic horses they are not out 24/7 they are stalled, have adaquate work and turn out and are perfectly happy or they wouldnt be at the top of there game.

Would you go to a Doctor if you had toothache??

I would get a dentist to check those teeth and I would look at getting both horses some decent turnout- I KNOW you are paranoid (not a criticism, we all are to some extent) but this way of living all the time is not healthy, nor is it normal. Running around on concrete is also potentially very hazardous.

i wasnt critisizing either...its just my opinion........and no..i dont think race horses and hunters are happy stabled all the time.......but what else can the poor beggers do but comply????????

Racehorses are fine- if they were not they would go off form and that would cost money.

they aren't on concrete as Ive said they are on soil, and my vet is and equine vet that does dental procedures

i find it fantastic that you all have turn out,i really do, but isnt it better that he is there with his mate,getting the best lifestyle, clean shavings everyday, wormed ,vacinated, microchipped, about ten rugs each, all the food they need ,, and warm,and tlc, when i first got him he was in a dark shed, and was never out he lived in the dark,eating silage on his own!!!

than to be where a lot of horses are standing in a dealers yard,where they dont give a darn, im only on here asking for advise because i am concerned about him,

i could come on here and lie and say ive got such in such acres, but im not ashamed of my horses lifestlye, they have better living conditions than i had twenty years ago,

im sorry if i sound defencive but im disapointed in a few of the people on here , i know a lot of big time breeders that have stinking stables and there horses live off the land until showtime, well thats not me i love mine,

and i live in the middle of a city!

my horses get out everyday together

thank you lisa
default_unsure.png
: whitney,gem, danielle,

lynda..

of course your horses are well looked after and very well loved..as are mine..its just different ways of doing things ..thats all........

Well maybe if you don't like the feel of his ribs and think he hasn't got much of a top line thats just the way he is. l like big butts but if l don't help to put them on they aren't going to happen either. And for some the way they are it just isn't going to be no matter what l like.

i wasnt critisizing either...its just my opinion........and no..i dont think race horses and hunters are happy stabled all the time.......but what else can the poor beggers do but comply????????

Hmm well have you ever ridden a 17.3 hand horse and thought that in any way you could FORCE it to jump a 6 foot course if it didnt want to? And to do it on form and do it consistently? Trust me these horses dont do it cause they are forced to comply they do it cause they love it, they are treated well, healthy as can be and LOVE there job making them very happy horses.

back to the subject at hand here really sometimes very healthy horses are just hard keepers. No different then those girls we hate (kidding kinda) that can eat and eat and eat and stay a size 3 all thru life just different metabolisims.

My stallion has had blood work done, teeth checked he is fine he just needs LOTS of feed to maintain his weight sigh if only my metabolisim was like that me I can look at something and gain weight (alright truth be told I do more then look) lol

Last edited:
Oh poor little guy- sounds like he had a horrible life before. Maybe it is just going to take him longer to bounce back? Sounds like you are doing a lot for him....

I would just keep on stuffing the feed to him and good excercise too- that will surely help build his muscles.

We got 3 that had no weight over their backs at all- were on a grass diet. The two being excercised have snapped out of it, the one we sold that is just standing around is taking longer to get some weight over her back, so... ????
default_wacko.png
:

I am not going to get into a arguing match with you. If you want to believe only horses in pastures can be happy that is your choice heck PETA thinks they shouldnt have fences at all and they are sure they are right as well.

Everyone has there own opinions and experiences all we can do is what we feel is right for us and ours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back