TUCKER.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Four years ago I met Tucker at our local Shelter.....totally by "accident". I was dropping off some food and kitty litter and decided to walk the dog kennel aisle. (At this point I was only donating stuff....Two years later we were full-fledged volunteers.)

As I walked the aisle, there was this massive beautiful Bernese Mountain Dog (mix) up against the kennel gate.....He didn't bark. He just smiled at me. I went home and told Larry (the hubby) about this great dog. No one wanted him because he was five years old and his breed usually only lasts to age seven. I told Larry that I thought I'd pick up our daughter from school and take her up to see him........and if they get along that perhaps .........? (I got very little comment from the husband.)

So, I picked Brianna up after school and told her my plan......Just then, my cell phone rang. It was Larry. He asked me if I was still at the school to stay put.

Five minutes later, Larry drove into the school parking lot with a grinning TUCKER sitting in the front seat of the pickup truck.

Today, Tucker is failing........He's passed his estimated life span by 2 years and is now rapidly going down hill. His appetite is gone and so is his energy. The vet ran all sorts of tests and didn't find anything specific, except for an elevated white blood cell count.

Tucker came to us grieving for his previous owner who had died of cancer.......We gave him some fun last years of romping on our farm and I know he grew to love us.........but now he just is letting go. He's starving himself.

It's very hard not to be selfish........even though I know and feel Tucker's "Lady" is waiting.

PS: Just want to add.....Even though Tucker was "older" when we got him and OTHER people were afraid to adopt him -- I AM GLAD WE ADDED HIM TO OUR FAMILY. ALL FOUR YEARS WERE WONDERFUL AND WORTH IT. I wish more people would take the chance for LOVE.

TuckersFirstDay5.jpg

Tucker2.jpg

Tucker3.jpg

God speed, Tucker......... We will always love you........

Oh my goodness, I am crying so hard right now. I so know the pain that you are dealing with. It's so hard when these special doggies are nearing the end. I will be keeping Tucker and your family in my thoughts and prayers today.

Thinking of you and Tucker during this difficult time. You are his angel to have allowed him several extra years of life and you have such a great way of looking at him going home to his lady. May God bless you and your family as you go through this.

God bless you and Tucker. You've given him a wonderful life and he's lucky enough to have had two families to cherish him. I just wanted to add that Tucker's easily one of the most gorgeous dogs I've ever seen! What a beautiful boy!

What a beautiful boy! He had a wonderful home and sounds like a good life. It is so hard to let them go when it is time. <<hugs>>

What a wonderful think you did by giving this boy four more years being loved! I am sorry now you are having to say goodbye; I know that can be very painful.

Saying good bye is hard; but just maybe when Tucker meets you at the Rainbow Bridge he will have his Lady with him to meet you too. I'm sure she'll want to say thank you for loving her boy.

Oh my heart......

I hate so much that we have to lose them. I truely believe that they come in to our lives for a reason, be it ours or theirs.

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

((((Hugs))))

Leya

What a great story.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Tucker was so lucky you and your hubby came along. What a joyous few years you gave him.

We lost a dog, Suzy, this past summer. Her sister Shimano is 12, but so far in perfect health. I've talked to my hubby about it, and I think we'll go the rescue of older dogs once we are ready for another. It's hard on the heart in one way, but fills it with joy another.

my heart goes out to you and your family.Tucker was blessed to have you.

We lost our dog in 08 after 17 yrs.
default_no.gif

I'm sure there is a very joyous reunion going on in the heavens right now. Tucker's Lady is smiling down upon your family saying "Thank you for loving my little boy"

Tucker went full circle.

Rest in Peace Tucker, Loyal Servant

My heart is heavy for your loss. I smile at the thought of knowing how happy he was when you brought him home to romp and play on a beautiful, big farm of his own. What a beautiful boy! I'm so sorry....

[SIZE=14pt]Oh we are so very sorry about your beloved Tucker Larry, Mary ann and Bri...he looks and sounds like a monumental friend for you and thank you adopting him...I feel so very sad for you. Animals give SOOO much un-conditional Love. [/SIZE]

Gosh I don't know what I will do when my Zip goes, but am trying to prepare myself now even though it will will still be hard...
default_crybaby.gif
...I really dis-like loosing pets
default_no.gif

God Bless Tucker

HUGS and Blessings,

Jenny and Mel

MA, these posts are so hard for me to look at
default_sad.png
I am so sorry about Tucker leaving your family for now
depresse.gif
From talking with you before, I know you and I both know our beloved pets (family) are not truly gone, but it still hurts so bad. I am very sorry
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He allowed you into his heart and now it's time to let his heart go...God speed to a beautiful dog

What a lovely dog! Bless you for giving him these four years of a wonderful, well-loved life.

Margo

Just wanted to say Thank You to everyone........Your sympathy and caring mean a lot to Larry and me.

We had a second vet look him over (the one who ultimately euthanized him) and that vet felt we were dealing with cancer. He said it was a particular type of cancer that BMD's are prone to get..... I can't remember the medical name for it.

Since food wasn't of any interest to him, we couldn't give him a bunch of treats. But for those last few days he was given car or truck rides when ever either of us went anywhere.
default_wub.png
Bless his heart....... He loved the life style here, but he so was ready to go.

What a BEAUTIFUL boy he was, I'm so sorry for your loss. And may I add I have a bit of a crush on your husband now. Picturing him driving up with a happy Tucker freshly sprung from the pound. . . men like that are hard to find.

I am so sorry for your loss, Tucker was a beautiful dog, I am sure he enjoyed four years of loving with your family. <HUGS>

Rest in Peace Tucker
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back