trying to tape weight my ladies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
Ok, so I am trying to tape weight everyone
default_wacko.png

Back in Sept, I took one of mine to the dentist. Ruby is the 31 incher (give or take) and she weighed on the scale right at 209 lbs. Vet said she was in a good weight, but I thought she still needed some padding. So she is a little heavier now. When I tape weighed her she came out to about 240lbs.

Then I taped weighed my 36 inch mares. Rainbow came out to 320 and 295 depending on which method I used. She is right were I guessed her to be, about 300#s.

Silver however, who is also 36 inches came out to weight similar to my 31incher! From 250- 265range!
default_new_shocked.gif

Visually Rainbow and Silver look almost the same, Rainbow is just a bit fuller in the belly as she has had foals. Noone is ribby, or bony or any of that.

Now, Ruby and Rainbow and Silver all have similar body length, and over all body size, mostly just a difference in length of leg.

Do these weights seem right for the height of my mares?

Please if anyone can share examples of what their minis weigh, and if you have a pic that would be great!

Thanks!
default_saludando.gif

PS I will take some shots today, to post so you all can look at mine.

The weight tapes are always a bit high in my experience. My 30" weight 219 on the vet's scale, and is usually around 230 on the tape. I've never had my 33" on a scale, but she is usually right around 300 on the tape. Though they are not that accurate, they give you a decent estimate. It is important to weigh in the same place everytime and to use the same pressure. Even pulling the tape slightly tighter will affect your measurements. On your two 36"er's, does one have higher withers? A wider or deeper rib cage? This will also affect their weights when using the tape. I have a very thin TB who is tough to get an accurate weight on because she has high withers and a deep rib cage. She always comes out weighing more that I think she really does. Those are just a few things to keep in mind.

Here are pics

Suzy, 30"

A little on the heavy side

DH010047-1.jpg

And a bit fitter

nationaldrive2008A1166-1.jpg

Locita, 33"

Always a bit chunky, coming out of winter and looking like a quarteer horse
default_rolleyes.gif

SANY0484.jpg

And both in their winter woolies, not that you can tell much from that

P1010262-1.jpg

Hope this helps some

My Shotgun is just about 220 lbs.

Horse weight

This is the website I use to get his weight. Just give the girth and length and it will calculate the weight for you.

Thank you both for taking the time to answer! It does help to have some comparisons. I was just shocked to think my taller girls were only in the 250ish range.

Measuring is not my strong point, so I am sure my measurements are not too exact, but it is something.

Thanks so much, my husband has our camera so I cant take pics
default_rolleyes.gif
default_sad.png
for anyone to judge mine.

Locita is so pretty! I love her quarter horse look
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back