Troubles with Teddy Again!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justanothercowgirl

Reaction score
Took my little sheltie buddy, Teddy in for a Leptospirosis vaccination this morning at 8:30. If you don't know Lepto is a serious disease of dogs and man caused by the Leptospira bacterium. New strains of the bacterium have been emerging in dogs so they have been vaccinating for this again recently. It is carried in the bodies of wild animals and livestock, dogs typically become infected when they drink from rivers, puddles or ponds that have been contaminated by urine of other infected animals. Since we live in a rural area where they are seeing instances of lepto we decided to vaccinate our dogs.

Teddy had quite a severe reaction within a couple of hours of receiving the shot and we had to rush him back in for treatment, he scared me half to death, his face swelled up so much he looked like frankenstein, his eyes swelled shut, his tongue was turning blue he was having difficulties breathing, his paws were huge and his temp was very high. I am lucky that my Mom works at the clinic where we did the vaccinations so I had called to tell her we were coming back FAST and I mean fast, I drove 90mph since it is mostly rural driving, and was passing cars and tractors on the shoulders, all the while with the low fuel light on! Hubby holding our baby and telling him to "breath Teddy breath!!" It was very stressful but they were waiting for us with the door open and meds ready to get this under control thankfully!! Apparently, because he had an allergic reaction it is likely that he was exposed to the bacterium previously. Needless to say he won't be getting the booster!!! He has spent all day at the clinic resting on his special Tedders bed in my Mom's office, he is coming home at 6:30!! His Mommy will be so happy to see him,even though he gave me a few more grey hairs today!!

Hope he is doing better now, and the swelling is down. Poor Guy
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! How scary! Poor Teddy. How is he doing now?

I send you big hugs Pammy, I know you were scared to death!

Oh NO!!! Poor little Teddy!!! His poor little face the way you described it
default_sad.png
Please let us know how he's making out. Thats such a scarey thing to go thru.

Oh my gosh, Pammy!!!!! I can only imagine how terrified you were!!! I hope he's home and doing okay now! I never realized they could have an alergic reaction that long after a shot. I always have epinephrin (sp?) when I do shots on the horses and always imagined an immediate reaction, so now I know to keep an eye out for hours afterwards. I'm so happy Teddy is okay and you got him to the vets FAST!

Man this doggy mommy is getting grey hair fast!! We got him home at 6:30 last night and he seems his normal little self. I gave him some more benedryll and by 8:00 the reaction had started again despite that. My Mom was at the gym and my friend who is a vet was in the barn milking and her MIL kept hanging up on me(she thinks it is total rudeness for anyone to call during milking, erggg) I didn't know if I could double the antihistamine dose and I wanted to get some prednisone for him. He didn't swell up like he had in the morning but some facial swelling and hives in his ears, he was very uncomfortable and hot and we were stressed out. Finally my Mom got home, we had Ted outside as he seemed happier there so I ran out to the road
default_wacko.png
: to stop my Mom and she had prednisone at home(yay Mom!!!) and we double his benedryll dose so he slept through the night and he seems fine this morning. We are going to keep him on both meds for a few days at regular intervals just to be sure.
default_unsure.png
:

So....I am thinking he is out of the danger zone now and I sure hope so because I can't take the stress!! :eek: He really does seem just fine today other than he is stuck to me like glue, I am sure he scared his little self too. Of course he is going to need intensive treat therapy!! :lol:

Pammy --

Teddy just emailed me and wants me to tell you the cure.

A big thick steak, cut up in little pieces and hand fed. This should be repeated every 3-4 hours or as he demands.

default_wub.png
:

It sounds like he is doing good now on the meds, and I can relate to how scary it's been for you and for him, too! Nothing worries me the way my dogs can.

Take care,

Jill

I was hoping little Teddy was doing better this morning and hope he continues to do well. Evidently the Lepto shot he got stays in his system for a while ? If you're anything like me, when the pups are under the weather for any little thing, I do not rest easy. I remember back when Lakota got spayed, she came home and started complaining. She'd come over to me and start to cry, I'd tell her to lay down and I'd rub her belly and she'd fall asleep. During the middle of the night she'd be crying (a soft whine) and I stayed laying by her the whole night just rubbing her little body. I did'nt get any sleep, but she needed me. During the day we napped...she fell asleep in my arms and I could tell she slept deeply. I did contact the vet and they told me she was "playing up her pain so mommy would feel sorry for her". Yea right...whatever....
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Poor Teddy. I hope he doesn't have any more symptoms. I'm glad you were able to act fast and get things under control.
default_yes.gif
:

Had Tedders back to the clinic this afternoon, he was just so lethargic, he wouldn't take a treat even :new_shocked: he was acting so hot and uncomfortable even in the a/c. Since I am such a worried Mommy he went back in to get checked over. His vitals are good, mucous membranes all looking normal again, his temp is still up a bit but not terribly so. So all in all just feeling a bit crummy after his ordeal, I just needed to be certain that is all it was. He went to my Mom's for the afternoon since they keep their house icy cold I thought he might like that and when I picked him up he was bouncing around and barking, now that he's got his next dose of meds he's sleepy again. It is so nice to be able to come here and have others that understand about our doggies being family members to us!
default_yes.gif
: Good thing I am a hairdresser cuz I am going to have some grey ones to cover after this episode. :eek:

OMG pammy! i hope he gets better fast!, so he can come out and play with me on wednsday and maybe get his picture taken too
default_yes.gif
:

I am thinking of Teddy and you a lot!

Anytime I take benedryl, it knocks me for a loop, not just that day but the next.

Hopefully he is doing even better this morning!!!

Thanks guys, Tedders had a pretty good night, seems to be pretty comfy now. We are going to start tapering off on the meds tomorrow so we will see how that goes, if there is any indication that it's a problem then we will just go back up to the regular dose. I take him everywhere I go so he doesn't have to be by himself at all so there is no worries there. He is barking his yappy face off this morning so that is a pretty good sign that he is feeling more like himself. :lol:

Latest posts

Back