Trotting Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippin'

Reaction score
Hi! So I was finally able to get Pippin out and work with him, he needs quite a bit of work and I know it. Well anyways, after a while of doing basic leading, pivots, backs, and halts I decided to put out some ground poles and see if he'd walk and trot over them. He did great just walking over but when I asked him to trot he wouldn't do it until I brought out a whip, held it behind me, and flicked it lightly. He trotted going one direction as long as I had that but the other direction even with the whip he didn't.

After a while he seemed to be getting bored so I took all the poles away except one and raised it up a little (only a few inches). It ended up being the same as with the ground poles where he will only trot with the whip and in the one direction. It seems to be the way his old owner's taught him because even just leading or long lining he needs the whip to go faster than a walk. I know this is a problem but I need some help with how to fix this.

Pippin is normally a really great little guy and will do what I ask on the first try. He isn't lame either, I made sure to check every inch of him to make sure. I'm wondering if you very knowledgeable ladies have anything that could help fix the needing the whip to trot. I know patience and repetition are a big one but is there anything specific I should try?

I have a billion more questions but I'll just go with this one first.

You can try to get him to trot with treats.......you can also try trotting him to a place he likes....such as to other minis. I hope that helps.....
default_biggrin.png

Teach him the word trot, before taking him over the poles. If you have a round pen it helps, if not, you can still teach him this word in hand. As soon as he starts off at a trot say the word out load. "TROT" go several feet, stop and praise, repeat until he gets it. Also when crossing obstacle horses need to be able to see what they are going over, so when you progress to trotting over poles make sure he has a lot of lead so he can get his head done to see where he needs to place his feet. minis are very smart and learn really fast, he should learn the word trot real fast then progress to trotting over obstacles such as poles. Just takes patience, reward, positive encouragment, and lots of pets.

Thank you for the advice! We don't have a round pen ourselves but our neighbor has offered the use of his when we need it. I give him quite a lot of lead when we are going over poles, not enough to get away from me but enough for him to see the poles. I would try to teach with treats but he gets really really nippy and "in my pocket" and attached when I bring them out so I don't know if it would help or hinder.

I don't have a round pen either but my daughter taught our mare to trot by every time she trotted with her by lead we use the word trot

Just before we start to jog. We did the same for the walk command and our hoe command.

Our little girl now hoes by voice only every time and walks as well . She does trot on command unless she has decided that day

To be lazy than we re enforce the command with a tap of the driving whip and she obeys the rest of the session .

She usually is good about the trot command but there are days when she would rather just mosy along instead of work

Untill we make it clear that she has no choice that it was time to work, then she gets going and has fun doing it.

She has such a personality, but is a good girl.

So you can teach with out a pen if you don't have one you just have to modify things.

Have fun with your little one.

Back