Tricks for Measuring In

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky Horat

Reaction score
We've never had a problem measuring in, but it's always a worry of mine as our horses all seem pretty close. Of course we measure at home at least .5" taller than at shows. I've had a few people mention tricks or hints on getting the best measurement. The one I was shown was to run your fingers down the spine just before they put the stick on them. Had one official tell me this actually made them lower the back and raise their shoulders. Interesting. Just curious if there are things to do and practice that are helpful. Trying to decide if raising the neck makes better or worse. I do understand the rules of not touching the horse and still being legal and fair. And of course to not take a fresh or nervous horse to be measured w/ out longing them or getting them to relax first. Just looking for suggestions.

Here's my tip.............. A relaxed horse will measure smaller than an uptight high strung horse so do something to relax your horse such as exercise or maybe a good massage.

You shouldn't need tricks to measure in your horse. Know what the honest measurement is on your horse before the show. If you do it honestly at home, you should know what to expect at a show. If your horse is that close, then make sure their feet are always done before you go, as SampleMM said, make sure you take them up relaxed. Know what the true last mane hairs are, not the "extra" left on while clipping. If you know what to expect before you get there, then you should never be disappointed. And when I say you, I don't mean you personally, I mean anyone.

I have a mare who is 34 ON THE DOT!!! I trim her down in the foot (but not to the point of disconfert) and trim as carefully at the end of her mane.

HOWEVER, this yr, I might be knocked into B classes cause while doing her mane, she rocked back and turned her head to look at another horse calling in the pasture and oops! Off went 1/2 inch of the end of her mane!!!

default_smile.png

Ive found that cold horses measure taller than a warm one too

You shouldn't need tricks to measure in your horse. Know what the honest measurement is on your horse before the show. If you do it honestly at home, you should know what to expect at a show. If your horse is that close, then make sure their feet are always done before you go, as SampleMM said, make sure you take them up relaxed. Know what the true last mane hairs are, not the "extra" left on while clipping. If you know what to expect before you get there, then you should never be disappointed. And when I say you, I don't mean you personally, I mean anyone.
What minimomNC said is exactly how we feel about it as well.

I have a mare who is 34 ON THE DOT!!! I trim her down in the foot (but not to the point of disconfert) and trim as carefully at the end of her mane.

HOWEVER, this yr, I might be knocked into B classes cause while doing her mane, she rocked back and turned her head to look at another horse calling in the pasture and oops! Off went 1/2 inch of the end of her mane!!!

default_smile.png
A good steward should feel for the mane and you can feel the coarser hairs if looking for them. We clipped off more than we should have once too and the steward at the show told us its better to leave just a bit extra to keep from trimming too much off but they felt for the end of the mane and didnt go by where we over clipped.

When speaking of the "honest measurement" on a horse that's what puzzles me. We have driving horses and like them in the 33.5" range. At several different shows I've had an 1" difference in measuring between stewards. So, I'm NOT looking to be dis-honest here. The suggestions that have been given are appreciated. Such as the cold horse vs. warm horse.....makes sense. I trim mine as short as I am able without making sore, of course. I leave enough mane hair for the stewards to determine. Just interested in what others have found that made a difference between your highs and lows of measuring horses.

While I don't show, I do measure for permanent papers. My stallion was still pretty new to being here when I had to measure him for his permanent papers. The only level area around here is the sidewalk at the house, he hadn't been there before and was on edge (he always is a little bit). I measured him when I first brought him over, he was about 36.5", maybe a little more; we walked around a bit, let him graze a bit, I think I took a few pics and then measured again, he was 35.75" after relaxing about the new surroundings.

Latest posts

Back