Smokey's First Outting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeaks

Reaction score
This past Saturday we shared Smokey with our Car "club" community at our local cruise in.

"Smokey" was completely and utterly unflappable. Between the loud cars, the barrage of people, and the loud music... He could not have cared less about his surroundings. We were fairly busy and it was hard to keep people from walking behind him and petting his rump versus his shoulder. That being said, Smokey never batted an eye. A couple of kids were too afraid to touch him, so they quickly reached out with a bit of a "slap" on him before drawing back. He never wavered, never flinched, and never got of line. Most of the people there were pretty self-conscious not to walk behind him, but as always you have a select few ;)

I'm just flat out impressed with him and his demeanor. He didn't "love" the attention, but he never waivered from being pet and loved on. I think some people there expected him to be like a dog, whereas... horses just don't socialize like dogs.

He has been introduced to some of the herd at our place (three large horses and one mini mare) and has been nothing but respectable. He got out on the dry lot for the first time since we got him (we had hotwire to patch) and he explored a bit before resuming some relaxation in the run-in shed. We want the boys & girls separated at the house, so we introduced "Ranger." Complete and utter underwhelming meeting (Which is AWESOME). They sniffed, ate some hay, sniffed again, ate some hay, repeat that process about four times... Now they're content. 'Course Ranger is quite... quiet anyway, very low man.

Anyway.. Hubby only snagged one that I'm able to access, but if I find more I'll add to the post... But I'm excited because he appears to have the demaenor of exactly what I was looking for in a Therapy/Nursing Home Visitation Miniature.

10402899_10152207951634702_8713203882527394902_n.jpg

(Pay no mind to the whip, I fidgit, it's kind of my way to avoid doing so in public - in this situation lol. I don't carry one around with me at all times :p )

Guess I should leave the horse selection to my Mom, she's been knocking it out of the park with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for Smokey!

And good for you for carrying the whip. Not only is a good tool for cueing your horse or whisking a pesky fly out of arm's reach, but it is useful in case you meet an aggressive dog. And children, though most of them have never seen such a thing in their lives, instinctively respect anyone who carries one.

I took my guys to nursing homes yesterday! I have to say, having a driving whip or something would have been helpful in cueing them to step over with their hip or shoulder when in tight quarters, I don't think it's a bad tool to have! And if it helps you not fidget, it's doing double duty! Kudos to Smokey! Tolerant is almost as good as affectionate as long as he isn't making his annoyance known. Looks good! Can't wait to hear more!!! (Please excuse all of the !!!! sometimes ... just doesn't do it hee hee)

I once almost left my whip home when I took my mini out on an adventure. I was so relieved to have it when I did need it. It is very useful for dogs and those "just in case" moments!

Oh, and I think it's awesome that he handled it all so well!

Back