Trick or treating mini--reflective leg bands

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrullaBlue

Reaction score
This will be our fourth year taking Magic, one of our mini geldings, trick or treating. He is carrying "the headless horseman" on his back. He also has saddlebags and passes out candy to the kids.

I've always put those glow bracelets on his legs....I'm actually considering quickly making something with velcro and reflective material for his legs....has anyone ever made anything like this before? I see them sold for big horses, but obviously, I want it in mini size, and want it by Monday, so would need to make it myself. I'd thought of just some type of reflective tape, but didn't know how sticky it would be, and might not stick well, or might stick too well and take a lot of hair off when I take it off.

The main reason I include the glow bracelets or anything like this is because the kids like it...since they're always told about safety (visability) while trick-or-treating, and seeing that even a horse has to follow their rules. We are in a neighborhood that doesn't have sidewalks....

Angie

Most of the big e-retailers (and many local big name retail stores like Petco or PetSmart) sell them for dogs, which I used to use on my minis when I lived in a more populated area and would walk my minis at night. You can also get clip on lights that you can attach to the side of the halters or leadline as well. There's also lighting accessories in the cycling area in big name retailers as well (like Target or Walmart) that you can use.

Good luck!

Liz N.

Yes you can get the ones for kids in the bike department. It sounds like fun
aktion033.gif
don't forget the photos
wub.gif

Something we have used for both Halloween and Christmas Caroling, are the battery operated mini lights.

See if this link works: http://www.walmart.c...330968&ic=16_16

It should be a page on Walmart.com for bike safety equipment and show two different reflective bands.

I second this, I've used them before and do last a while, mine never ripped or tore
yes.gif

- speaking of which, hmmm - I wonder where mine are? Silly me, I always loose things
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Those Walmart bands are PERFECT!!! I didn't know they made them! I'll have to make a trip to Walmart this week! Maybe this afternoon!

I will post pics....I posted some last year...using the same costume, last year I didn't glue the PVC "skeleton" together and it fell apart with his movement so we didn't use it but for 10 minutes, and people LOVED it. So it's all glued up with PVC glue, and ready to go!

I'll try to include a pic from last year...

31oct10021.jpg

31oct10023.jpg

Our dollar store sells reflective bracelets for kids with spiders printed on them for halloween. Cute costume. I love it.

MajorClementine, may have to look for those! I was at our Walmart AND Target this afternoon...didn't see any of those reflective armbands....I didn't think Target would have them, but Walmart has a lot of bike stuff...but all they had were lights....

I'm glad those Walmart bands were posted- I have two like that which someone gave me and hadn't been able to find any more and they are the most visible, easy to wear things I own. However they're just the right size to go around my thigh so I'm not sure they could be tightened up enough to fit on a mini's leg. What I use for that are a set of reflective snap bracelets (you know, like the ones that were popular with kids in the early 90's?) made for runners. I bought my first few at Walmart but they don't seem to carry them anymore. I found another batch at Fred Meyer last year and bought everything they had. They're easy to apply around the cannon bone, lined with soft velour so they don't rub the horses, and they stay on pretty well as long as the horse isn't running and kicking. They're great for twilight and early dusk! You're better off with something that glows or involves an LED though for after dark.

Leia

I found some of those reflective snap bracelets today at the party store. I bought three sets....two sets for my mini, and one for my son. They should fit around his legs....it has gotten quite chilly here (we have frost at night), and they're getting their fluffy coats, so even though these bracelets aren't lined, he should have enough hair to protect him, and it's not like their going to be tight...and they're plastic, so they'll be fine. They are orange and yellow, and have little ghosts, pumpkins and skulls on them. I didn't know that's what they were called...and one end has a hole in it (I could see it through the package) so I thought they'd actually have a snap on them....and hoped they'd not be too big. Then I see this is all they are....so one size fits all!

I also bought him a large, orange beaded necklace with a flashing pumpkin on it. Should go around his neck just fine, and probably even hang down by his chest, and thought it would look nice with his costume...since the headless horseman carries a pumpkin and all!

Latest posts

Back