My mini has stifled leg, please help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliebrown

Reaction score
Hi All, It’s been so long since I’ve posted anything and I need your help please!
My mini who is now just over 17 months, has his right rear leg stifled. In the past it would correct itself but for the past month, it hasn’t.
When he’s standing, it’s like a peg-leg.
When we have him trot, it bend but it goes back to peg leg position.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you!!!

I've only had one horse with that problem. I moved her on to a woman who does high-level driving (she was too much horse for me). The new ownerTipsey and Targ.jpg was not concerned about the problem at all, as there is a simple surgical procedure to fix it. Ask your vet about it, or contact an equine hospital. The horse went on to show and win in single and pair driving.

It's very important to keep them moving (free turn-out, rather than stalling), proper balanced nutrition and proper balanced trims. some get stifle lock during growth stages, others its a result of their conformation; but the above it still important to help it, if it can't be helped through management, then talk to your vet about surgery.
Exercise helps; backing, backing up hills, low cavaletti.

I've only had one horse with that problem. I moved her on to a woman who does high-level driving (she was too much horse for me). The new ownerView attachment 40704 was not concerned about the problem at all, as there is a simple surgical procedure to fix it. Ask your vet about it, or contact an equine hospital. The horse went on to show and win in single and pair driving.

I wrote a reply to Marsha's post, but I don't know where it went. I am not very good at navigating, sorry if it's redundant. I said that Marsha gives good advice. Also that team pictured is such a beautifully matched team!

I've only had one horse with that problem. I moved her on to a woman who does high-level driving (she was too much horse for me). The new ownerView attachment 40704 was not concerned about the problem at all, as there is a simple surgical procedure to fix it. Ask your vet about it, or contact an equine hospital. The horse went on to show and win in single and pair driving.
Thank you!!

It's very important to keep them moving (free turn-out, rather than stalling), proper balanced nutrition and proper balanced trims. some get stifle lock during growth stages, others its a result of their conformation; but the above it still important to help it, if it can't be helped through management, then talk to your vet about surgery.
Exercise helps; backing, backing up hills, low cavaletti.
Thank you!!

I can't believe what a beautiful matched pair of horses you have! Marsha, you give good advice
I no longer owned Tipsey when this picture was taken. She was way too high-strung for me. The woman who took her was excited to get her, as she made a match for Target. I inquired about Tipsey occasionally, as I was concerned about the stifle; the owner had the surgery done on her. She took the pair to a professional trainer. She gave me permission to use the photo. This was a few years ago and I have lost track of the horse. When she sent me the picture of Tipsey and Target I got chills all over! Such a beautiful pair.

I was admiring this pair and enlarged the picture to get a better look when I noticed the breeching. Maybe someone on here with more experience can tell me why it looks like that.

Latest posts

Back