Transporting Stallions Safely?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramblehill

Reaction score
I bought "Pops" in November from a nearby farm here in SC, and my sister, who lives in Tennessee bought his 19 month old son in March. Prior to me bringing Pops here, they lived in peaceful harmony in an "all boys" pen. Since Pops has been in with my ladies, I had Jr. in a pen that was adjacent to him, and he would rush at him, but no big problems. Today I put them together to see how they would behave together again, since they will be transported together 7 hours to Tennessee to use Pops for her mares, and to take Jr. home to them. (I made sure that there were no mares close by)

Pops was fine at first, then proceeded to whip poor Jr's tosh for no apparent reason except, of course, that he is the alpha stallion. )biting and kicking at his legs. Jr. just smacked his lips-no fighting back.

My question is, since the only rental trailor available doesn't have a separator, will Pops calm down for the journey. or is he going to try to beat poor Jr. up all the way? I may have to rethink this trip.

Thanks for your replies!

There is NO way it is even reasonable to expect a mature stallion to accept a colt anywhere near his mares. Coupled with this, at this time of year, stallions of any age rarely get on. Added to this- the final insult as far as the older horse is concerned- is that he has been in with his mares, you took him out and put him in with a colt!!

Frankly, to be blunt, I am surprised he did not kill him, you are very, very lucky.

You were not ever considering travelling these two loose together, were you??

If they are tied up in opposite corners of the trailer they will be stressed but relatively safe, so long as the trailer is big enough. You could put a rope across and hang a sheet or a blanket so they could not see each other but I never travel my entires untied, even if they are the only ones on the trailer.

I absolutely would not haul these two loose in the trailer. Tie them; hopefully the trailer is large enough that they can be tied so that it isn't possible for them to back up close enough for Pops to be able to kick at & connect with Jr. If the trailer isn't large enough to keep them well apart I would try to rig up some sort of a temporary divider. Or, find a different trailer.

Since you are using a rental trailer, your only option is to keep both horses tied. (We hate traveling with tied horses, btw, but sometimes there is no other choice.)

Since they would be tied, this will require you to stop more often to give them water. You will need to take each of them out and long-tie them on opposite sides of the trailer to offer them a bucket.

Feeding is another problem as well. If there is a safe way to attach a hay bag at head level, they could munch as they travel. The hay bag situation has to be very carefully analyzed because if it isn't securely fastened at the right height, the horse could rear up just enough and get a foot caught up in it. Also, NEVER use a hay NET. A horse can get even tangled WORSE with a net! Otherwise, you are looking at feeding them at either end of their trip.

Good luck with whatever way you decide to handle it.

MA

Latest posts

Back