Training Questions: Show related

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniThymeAcres

Reaction score
Hey there, :saludando:

I have a couple questions related to training for the show ring. Both seem like hard problems to fix, but I hope that with a little help I can fix these problems.

My first one deals with liberty. I practice liberty often at home, in my driving ring in the back. It is a large oval, I cannot think of the dimensions off the top of my head right now. But anyways...at home I can get Wind Dancer to run the whole length of the arena, and even get her to do some pretty things, like figure-eights and serpentines. However, when we're actually in the show ring, it's a different story. She tends to get stuck on one side of the arena and just runs around in a small circle. I hoped that with more training over the winter, this problem would be cured, but I can't help but wonder if she'll do the same thing at the first show.

Our driving ring has a large tree towards the center of it, similar to the judge's area in the middle of the ring at the Chemung County Fairgrounds arena that we show at, so technically the set up's are similar.

Does anyone have any suggestions that will help her get to the other side of the arena at the shows?

My next question is concerning to hunter. At most shows we participate at, there are flower box jumps and brick walls, and other different sorts of jumps. At home, Dancer will jump these. At the show, she usually gets to it, stops, and sniffs it. Last year, I stopped doing hunter and did jumper because the jumps weren't used in jumper. It seemed like no matter how much I did flower jumps and stuff at home, she still refused them at the shows.

Any tips for that?
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks

It sounds like your mare just needs a lot more exposure to things outside of her comfort zone and away from home. Are there any schooling or fun shows you can attend with her? What about setting up a fresh hunter course for her at your local show ground? You might also be able to let her loose in an arena to practice her use of the ring at liberty.

My guess is that you're behavior probably changed at a show, she picked up on it then got away with refusing a jump and now it's a game to her. As for her performance at Liberty, well, not all horses are cut out for that class... and even the best don't always put on a good show.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for your advice. I will be sure to try that out.

I stopped doing fun shows for personal reasons, more than one. They weren't your average 'fun show' around here, anyways.

-bump- does anyone else have any advice?

Latest posts

Back