Training older minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hello,

Being a new mini owner(addicted of course) I don't know how well this works.

I have been thinking of having my yearling colt trained for cart when he is old enough. That said, I thought about my coming 6 year old gelding that is my first horse. When I purchased him he had just been a pasture stud. He has never been mean but he had not been handled alot. He is now gelded and has been come a sweetie, he is still the boss of his little herd of geldings and very young colts. To get to the question I had. Could he be trained at this stage? I think so.

Do others have experience in a situation like this. He is approx. 32" and pretty stocky. Sorry about the long post.

Debbie

I cannot see one reason why not. I did nothing with Oliver until he was eight( he had been trained to ride and ridden extensively, and was not a Mini) Sometimes I think the older the better. I would, however, recommend you send him to a professional trainer and not try to do it yourself.

rabbitsfizz said:
I cannot see one reason why not.  I did nothing with Oliver until he was eight( he had been trained to ride and ridden extensively, and was not a Mini)  Sometimes I think the older the better.  I would, however, recommend you send him to a professional trainer and not try to do it yourself.
495991[/snapback]

Thanks for the positive responce. I wouldn't think of training him myself, I wouldn't have a clue, I will need some training myself.

Debbie

We sent a 7 year old B size gelding off to training last month for driving. He has been showing and doing well in halter, color, hunter and jumper but definitely is a handful - as in I've always been pretty sure he has the equine version of ADHD and if my husband didn't like him so much and do so well with him in showing he would have hit the road by now. He is very hyper, easily distracted and temperamental. He has been doing well in training, he wasn't quick at all to figure it all out and understand what the trainer wanted but I think that is due a lot more to his personality than his age. This week things finally clicked for him and he seems to be "getting it" so it took him about a month to get to that point. I said to the trainer, so the "light bulb came on for him"? and she said, "no, all three light bulbs came on".

Our own Bonnie Fogg did a reading on him and actually gave me a lot of insight and a greater understanding to his quirky personality and she also told me he WANTED to learn to drive because he didn't feel "special" since he didn't know how. (This from a horse that has won national and reserve national titles in hunter and jumper.) She warned me though that he needs to be treated more like a 3-4 year old than his actual age because mentally he is just younger. He probably couldn't have handled driving training at a younger age.

I guess what I am saying is I think your horse would do fine and both of you would enjoy driving together. I'd recommend watching the trainer work with him and when the trainer feels you are ready, to have you take lessons with him so that you get off to a good start together.

Sanny,

I'm afraid most horses are ADHD, lol!

Congrats on getting your boy going in harness. Hope to see you at some shows next year.

OF COURSE...I find that a more Mature horse does better...they have more confidence...their body is fully mature and, so is their mind. I like starting our driving horses in their 4th year...they have come into their own.

GO FOR IT
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
I am sure he will love the work!

lis

You won't know if he has the driving mind until you try. I was out driving a 7 year old broodmare today. Her 3rd time in harness. Did fantastic.

I started a stallion at 4-5, then gelded him. He went AMHR Top Ten in Country Driving!

I trained a 7 year old pony this summer to drive. He hadn't ever done a thing except boss his owner around...
rolleyes.gif
But after we worked out a few issues, he did awesome. He took to it like a champ! I always joked that he is a "pit pony" reincarnated
biggrin.gif

Go for it! You're going to love driving!!

I have trained many of minis and all different ages it all dependes on how they are going and if they like it and want to do it and some horses take longer to train but I think you you should find a trainer in your area or some one who is well recomended in your area and one that has time for your mini and you to help you because Im sure both of you will need some training. ---amanda---

It can definitely be done! I bought my Pleasure horse when she was 13 or 14, broke her to drive, and she won multiple top tens at Nationals her first year out and has been getting better since. For many horses, in fact, it's better to wait until they're a fre years old to break them because they are more mentally mature then, and in my opinion will ultimately turn out better than if they had been started young. Good Luck!

I agree with everyone who has posted. I see no reason why you can't have him trained to drive. I was looking for a match to my little stallion who is 6 and has been driving for three years. When I found one I thought would work he was an 8 year old stallion who had done nothing but breed. He had pretty good ground manners, but that was all. This is him his second day in harness

Cooptrot1.jpg

Here he is hooked up as a team about a week of driving and their first day hooked up as a team.

Hilbilly.jpg

Not only can it be done, but I think it works very well as everyone has said. They are much more mature physically and mentally. Good luck and I'm sure you will enjoy learning as much as he will.

Latest posts

Back