Training for Therapy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millstone Farm

Reaction score
I met a very nice woman who visited our Miniature Horse booth at the Equine Affaire yesterday. She was looking for information about using minis for nursing home and hospital visits and how to go about training and getting her minis the proper accredidation. I didn't have the answers for her but recommended her to this site.

Can anyone help her out? She will be visiting here shortly I assume....

Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

The lady may want to look at this thread

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=120013&st=0&p=1325174&hl=therapy&fromsearch=1entry1325174

As for training I've found the best way is to take the mini to public locations such as outside a grocery store & to parks. First hand exposure to noises and people hustle & bustle.

Another good thing to train is riding in an elevator if at all possible.

I'm lucky at our nearby outside shopping center/tourist area there is an elevator in the parking garage.

This organization is excellent with certification of horses. It is in Oklahoma, but this page lists the tests the horse must pass to be certified Creatures & Kids

Tell this woman to try a Google search for therapy animals in her area. She may come up with information for her area.

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back