Training for beginners

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthology

Reaction score
I have now been able to bond with Pixie for a week now.

I would like to get any tips you are willing to share about training.

Is there a "MUST-HAVE" book or video I can watch?

I would like to give some background info on her, just to see where you all think I should start:

She is three years old.

Overall, she has decent ground manners. She seems sweet natured.

I will admit, I am a newbie to all of this. I am a bit hesitant about picking out her hooves.

I've ran a few "tests" and sometimes she seems OKAY with me picking up her front hooves. Yesterday, however, she tried biting me twice. She moved I was shocked. I had been reading about not letting a horse think she is the boss, So I very FIRMLY said "NO" each time. When she finally quit trying to bite, I praised her. ***I know I am nervous about picking them. Therefore, I have decided to buy some cross ties after work. I would feel safer learning this way to be honest.

Also, I thought maybe she was a bit cranky because our routine is "turn her loose to pasture each morning asap" and there I was breaking schedule trying to play with her hooves. Overall though, I want my relationship with my horse to be one of respect and kind of "hey sweetie, I need to see your hooves this morning, I know that's not on our typical schedule, but it needs done and I promise that once I get done you can go outside." That is, I want to be able to have her trained enough that things DON'T always go her way.

When walking through the yards, she always wants to put her head down to graze if I give her extra lead room. If I shorten the range on the lead she stops trying to put her head down to eat.

I guess I am also just looking for ideas on building my bond with her, tips, and tricks, and SMALL ways to begin training. I would like to do things gradually.

(For the time being I am not looking for training on cart pulling, I see that as a huge step. I want to build more trust first and teach her that I am boss before I attempt such a thing).

Her previous owner did not really work with her too much: she had ALOT of horses.

***SO, if this was your horse, where would YOU begin?

Hi- Sounds like you are off to a good start and asking the right questions! A good basic training book (available at Amazon) is Mini School, Train Your Mini to Be All He Can Be by Sabine Ellinger. It does get into some advanced training (dressage in hand) but gives some basic information on the principles of training and equipment. If you want to get into driving, jumping, showmanship, or obstacles, there are much better books on those topics, but this one is a good one for starters.

She may be picking up on the fact you are nervous about handling her feet. Do you know anyone with horses who could give you some pointers and a quick lesson? Maybe a 4-H or riding Club in your area that might know of someone??

Good luck with her!

Hello...

I strongly suggest finding someone in your area to come and help you learn to work with your horse. Books and video is okay, but horses are very complex beings.

It would be akin to wanting to become an auto mechanic and trying to learn from books and DVDs versus having someone show and explain in person.

I have worked with quite a few horses who have been ruined by fearful or unknowledgeable (but very well meaning!) owners as well as seen terrible injuries to both horse and human. I rescued a mini once who had been purchased by a very nice family who let the horse get the upper hand over time and it was the most aggressive gelding I've ever worked with.

Please, please take lessons with someone in your area and start out in the right foot! I wish you the best!!!

Andrea

Pat Elder has published several books on various types of training with the miniature, from Halter, Liberty to Driving. She also published the Miniature Stallions, Past & Present, Miniature Mares, Past and Present, and the Shetlands Past and Present books. She also has a 3-disk DVD training disc out.

I have them all and they are easy to read and understand.

The can be bought through SmallHorsePress.com

A week is a very short time in which to get to know or to bond with ANY horse. It sounds as though she's a sweet girl and you are doing really well too.
default_yes.gif

My advice would be not to rush things. I hate the way folks say you must be the 'boss/alpha person/etc' of any animal - mutual respect, built up over time will always win the day plus give confidence and absolute trust should a 'panic' situation ever arise.

If I were you I would just be doing the minimum with Pixie right now - grooming her gently, taking her to and from her pasture, maybe going for a few walks if it is safe, practicing your halts, walk on, maybe a short trot on in hand. If you feel nervous about picking up her feet, then leave it for a week or so. She will come to no harm and it is better to leave things alone until you feel more confident rather than let the horse play up to your nerves. If you can get some help or advice from somewhere over the next couple of weeks that would be great.

I would not suggest that you simply buy cross ties for her - some horses are ok with this, some get very frightened without first being properly introduced to this method of tying up. Where is your normal tie ring? If it is in a wall or on a post, then when you are ready to try to pick up a front foot, just run your lead rope through the ring and keep hold of the rope in one hand while you reach down for her foot. This way you can control where her head/mouth is! Or just tie her up a little shorter if she is happy being tied. But I think that once she is happy with your regular grooming and you are feeling a little more confident, you will find she is quite happy having you handle her feet.

You are quite right with the firm 'NO' if she makes a mistake (use it also if she tries to snatch grass when you are leading her) and always give praise when she does something that pleases you.

Good luck - she is a lucky girl to have you for her new Momma.
default_yes.gif

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts and suggestions. I will definitly look into SmallHorsePress.com!

I also really like ANNAC's tip:

"just run your lead rope through the ring and keep hold of the rope in one hand while you reach down for her foot. This way you can control where her head/mouth is! "

& yes, have been going slow with her. Grooming, petting, talking, walking. Everytime I go out to see her, I pick up her feet, slowly building trust & praise her. I definitly do NOT want things to go the wrong way where she learns she does have the upper hand. Better to go slower & gentle over time so she sees that she can trust me.

Thanks again everyone!

***& hopefully by this weekend we will be ready to get started. Last night she held her front hoof up for me the longest she has yet!***

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back