trailering a youngster

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
I will be taking Cam on his first "off property" outing next Sunday and am not sure how I should handle the trip. He is not even 90% perfect in standing tied...still a bit of a fuss with an occasional sqirming and acting like he's going to collapse or rear. He's fine being led...just doesnt like to be made to stand quet while tied.

My trailer is a 16 ft. stock with a tack/feed area in the front which is plenty large enough to accomodate Peanut and Cam.

I will also be bringing another horse for a total of three.

Should I tie Mom and let Cam be loose with her in the front compartment?...not tie either and let them both be free in the front? ( I would tie the other horse in the back part of the trailer by themselve. Or put the other horse in the front and leave Cam and Peanut in the bigger area in the back...tie both? just peanut?

I worry about tieing any horse that is with Cam b/c he loves to rear up and just play or be a pest and Im terrified of him getting hung up on another horses rope...and I worry about him just throw a hissy fit while being tied in the trailer too....or will he just be focused on keeping his balance...I just dont know

I know there are some major safety concerns here but Im at a loss in narrowing down the safest ride.

I know its illegal and all but Im considering riding in the back with them just to keep an eye on things...its about a 30 minute ride.

We have been practicing loading and walking in and out of the trailer and Cam loves it and is comfortable ( but still not good at standing tied inside ) but its the actual riding that I have not had the time to practice.

This party has been planned for Cam since he was born and he and Peanut are the guests of honor so I dont want him to arrive bumped and bruised LOL !!

On a side note he is not weaned yet..although he spends very little time with Mom. I had been waiting until after this party and the completion of our new pasture before I did the weaning.

Thanks so much for any advice or experiences you can share

Happy New Year

heidi

if it was me I would travel them both loose , its worked fine for me in the past , as soon as you start moving he will be quiet

but make sure they cant get near the 3rd horse so a partion is a must ,

when i brought my colt home he was 4 months old.. i left him loose in the back of my 2 horse... He had a 4 1/2 hour trip home and we stoped and checked on him every 45-60 minutes.. he could have cared less he backed his butt in to the back left corner and didnt move the whole ride

I agree!! The loose tying worked with my four month old. in fact, once we got there he was like..."Um, I am still going to stand here nice and quiet...even with you begging me to get out. I like it in here :-0) It's cozy!" hahaha

default_laugh.png

Hi Heidi - and a Very Happy New Year to you too!
default_yes.gif

I would never travel a loose foal with a mare that is tied - accident waiting to happen IMO! Neither would I tie a foal. So it would be loose travelling in the larger compartment for my preference (as has been said, do make sure that you have a full sized partition between Peanut and Cam and the 3rd horse travelling up front).

Put lots of bedding down in their space, dont rely on just ruber mats or a 'sprinkle' of bedding on mats - mats get very slippery when they are covered in poo and urine especially for unshod horses. Also this is going to be a big 'expedition' for young Cam and all the excitement plus the travelling is going to tire him out. He will thank you for a nice deep comfy bed to lie on and sleep/crash out in on his way home.
default_yes.gif

Drive slowly (sure I dont need to tell you this) particuarly on any corners, and no sudden stops or starts - ignore any impatient traffic, they are not carrying such precious cargo!! No need for you to travel in with them in fact your nerves/worry/stress may well make them think something is wrong!

Have fun, I'm sure Cam will thoroughly enjoy being the centre of attention.
default_yes.gif

And dont forget the CAMERA!!!

Hi heidi and Happy New Year to you both!

I totally agree with Anna, she has covered everything.

Have a great time, try not to worry as it will spoil the fun.

Don't forget to post loads of pics ( ring your Cameron and tell him to come for a working weekend) lol

Hugs

Renee

It all depends on the other horses. If the mare ties and trailers well, I have no problem tieing the mare and leaving the foal loose (I always leave foals loose). We have hauled up to 18 hours straight with mares and foals to Congress with no problems. A 30 minute ride is nothing. This past year, we took 2 mares with foals to Iowa from Texas. We tied the mares on opposite sides of the trailer and left the foals loose. The babies stayed in the middle, nursed their mommas on the ride, and even laid down. The mares knew where their babies were, were well traveled, and no one was injured.

Its up to you and what makes you comfortable.

default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
Hi All!! Thanks, loose it will be!! And yes the other horse will be in a different stall. Need to try to get a few minutes to give baths but its going to be so cold the next few days Im not sure if it will even be warm enough....may have to settle with the shop vac only
default_thud.gif

These people are expecting to see a little foal....think they will be a bit surprised when they see Cam....not so little any more!! Hes having a blast with this colder weather...major frisky and such a pest with the other horses!! Im surprised no one has clobbered him yet....I know some days I'd like to
default_xbud.gif

P.S. Renee, i need you to email me your favorite photo of Eagle and your new little stud muffin....go out there today and get 1 good photo of each please!!!! Hurry....and is your farm name Clover....something???

I am glad you have decided to travel with them both loose - much more comfortable for the horses and safer. One thing though is you need to consider weight when trailering. The heavier weight should be over the axel/wheels rather than on the tongue so if your mare and foal together outweight the third horse they would be better off in the back and put him in the front. your trailer will ride better and be more safe.

Latest posts

Back