Trailer hitch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebird

Reaction score
I have been looking at used gooseneck horse trailers as I know I will have to get one sooner or later. I noticed the goosenecks attach to a ball hitch in the bed of the truck. The hitch we have has a claw that clamps shut around a fifth wheel post. The hitch is 300lbs so no way we are going to take it out. Is there a way to make a gooseneck work?

This is our hitch...

IMG_1148.JPG

We have both types of hitches, and our trailers can use both. Most trailer "posts" - the part with the hitch on it - are removable. They bolt on to a "cylinder" - either the post is inside or outside the cylinder (usually inside). You can take off the post, and either get a post with the ball on the post (instead of the receiver), or, if you know someone who's a good welder, they can do it for you. If you're buying a trailer, especially from a dealer, sometimes you can get them to add the ball hitch in the deal with the trailer. All of ours have both types of post, and we just "switch them out" depending what we're using to pull them.

By the way - you will LOVE using this hitch with the trailer - it is so much easier to hook up, as the hitch in the truck helps "guide" the trailer ball, rather than you having to back perfectly aligned with it.

Thank you very much, Flying minis, for the info! I started freakin out a little bit when I was looking on line at the goosenecks and noticed they hooked up to a different hitch!
default_new_shocked.gif
So the right attachmet will have to be welded onto the trailer post?

The other thing that concerns me is...our truck sits pretty high as it came with 'trailer hauling package' and 'off road package'. I see horse trailers sit pretty low to the ground, and I understand why, but I am afraid the trailer will ride at a slant which I do not want. What do you do about that?

The new post should just bolt in - I wouldn't weld it, because then you lose resale value (can't sell it to someone who has a ball hitch in the truck). For us, we have 2 that are interchangeable, and we just undo the bolts and replace as needed : ) Also, when you get / make the post for the fifth wheel hitch (which is what you have), you can make the post shorter, to account for the extra height in your truck. Most posts are somewhat adjustable anyway, although most people never realize that! That is why they are bolted in, so you can adjust the height. So if you get a replacement post, with the ball on the end, and make sure it's shorter than your other one, you won't have any problem.

I'd send a picture, but my hubby has the semi with him, and so he's got the fifth wheel post on his trailer
default_rolleyes.gif
He won't be back for 2 more weeks. . .

Well I'll be here...a lot! Would love to see a picture when you get a chance. A visual would really help!
default_yes.gif

Yes, you DO need to remove your fifth wheel hitch. All you have to do is pop a few latches and it'll lift free (do you have a bucket tractor? :p) Yes its heavy bit its what you need to do. Then you just slide in a gooseneck "plate" which bolts to the same rails you have that the existing hitch latches to. Not including the lifting part, its a five minute job, no tools required.

You have a very expensive hitch installed there now... I wouldn't suggest replacing it with anything. Nor do you want to add any type of adapter to the hitches to get them to be cross-compatible. Yes, there are several options, but none of them are designed for the stress of what you are towing. That massive hitch you have is (I'll wager) rated for 12-18k weight, with 18k being VERY high. A gooseneck, ANY gooseneck, is rated for 20-25k, and sometimes as high as 30k. That's a very different thing. Its just how the hitch works, and where it puts stress. Plus, goosenecks need safety chains, and fifthwheels don't. So if you use an adapter of some sorts, you will not have anchor points for the safety chains.

There are other systems, if you want to totally remove what you have now. You can get a B&W hidden hitch, which is a gooseneck hitch that allows you to remove the ball and add in a hitch called the "Companion hitch" which is a fifthwheel that attaches to the same anchor hole the gooseneck does. But either way, a gooseneck and a fifthwheel are two totally different hitches, and need to stay that way when it comes to towing a trailer. You need, yes, need, to have the correct hitch from the ground up. DO NOT USE ADAPTERS. I know its not what you want to hear, and I'm sorry, but to be safe its what you need to use.

If you modify the trailer to be towable with a fifthwheel, you run into several issues. One, the weight can easily exceed the hitch's capacity. Two, the stress points on the trailer's hitch are different. Three, you said you have a tall truck as it is. Goosenecks are designed to hitch into the BASE of your bed. Fifthwheels hitch two feet higher, at the top of that massive hitch. That means your horse trailer will be 2' higher in the nose, leading to a VERY steep angle (which should be perfectly level). Four, you will loose your safety chains. Five, NOBODY ELSE WILL BE ABLE TO TOW YOUR TRAILER!! This may be considered a plus, for theft, but you can buy a very nice hitch lock for under $100. And if you need to in a pinch, only your truck will be able to pull that modified trailer. So please, don't do it! It really is easy to remove the fifthwheel hitch. The only pain is manhandling it, and if you have a winch or tractor, that becomes easy too. The gooseneck plate snaps right in using your existing hardware, and has everything you need.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/123MNA6XB4Nffl3iZM9bcT-R6AfFb7mY4Dfctylul1rwT0ApP23ZYQDt6KF7VKO9RxeK7QdAOs-PkoLOtWCH9CBqDWA_8DZ4Dhw0Zbl-Ms_XVfmNI-KUiGrBiT_qBKjBeyH5kgQRXReC3BqRZj8Hnk6-qy_jGIcURvFnDNz_GUlZ_mE4PmBx48Eg686FIMbOR1Rg8nA

Last edited by a moderator:
Nathan, thank you for your suggestions. I see what your saying but unfortunately there is no way my DH is going to remove our hitch. We don't have a bucket tractor or winch. I will however try to do more research on this and also talk to the guys who installed our hitch as they have been in business for a very long time. I will have my hubby read your post and see what he thinks.

Thank you again for your input! Very helpful!
default_wink.png

If you have a good garage, a chain winch mounted to a rafter would easily lift it up for you
default_smile.png
Its easy to disconnect, the only horrible part is lifting it up. Two strong backs could do it (how often do you need the fifthwheel?) but it can get annoying!

Check out some of the forums for people who tow. I used to be quite active in the Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum which had a HUGE section on towing. I've seen tons of long, long, "discussions" (arguments?) regarding this, with tons of hands-on experience. I've seen pictures of failed hitches and disasters caused by adapters. I've seen very nice well-made campers totally destroyed by an attempt (very well engineered attempts) to make them into goosenecks. That, is an absolute NO-NO, NEVER do that. But you are talking about the opposite... All in all, after my own experiences plus reading a LOT of pros discuss the same matter, I've come to the conclusion that its really necessary to use the correct hitch for the trailer. They're designed for a very specific force load and pattern, and can fail disastrously if used with the wrong equipment. It seems so simple and easy to use an adapter. Just because its sold doesn't mean its safe!

We have a 5th wheel hitch for our travel trailer....similar to yours....but not quite as elaborate. My husband learned from another RVer that you can hitch the truck & RV. Then they disconected this plate/hitch from the truck....which is now attached to the RV...hanging there. He was shown how to do this from someone else....after discovering that you couldn't lift this thing out of truck very easily
default_no.gif

Nathan, you make it sound so easy...but you don't know my hubby...I can just see that hitch hittin the floor!
default_new_shocked.gif
It took him hours and hours to just hang a pulley on the rafters for my bike!
default_ohnoes.jpg
I could see where switching out hitches for each trailer would be a pain.

Good idea tho...I will check with the guys on the Heartland RV forum. There is a towing thread. Surely someone on there also hauls horses.

Becky, now that's an interesting idea too. I'll have to check into that. Thank you!

Boy I'm glad I asked way before gettin the trailer!
default_laugh.png

We have two horse trailers, a bumper pull and a gooseneck... but I am just about DUMB on the logistics. We had a truck shop install both the bumper pull and gooseneck hitches/ balls on our big truck, and also a special breaking system that integrates w/o our intervention when we tow.

If someone lived close enough to give me lessons, I'd pay for someone to help me learn to tow. I am not at all comfortable when we do it, and that is ridiculous for someone with the number of horses we have and the nice custom gooseneck trailer...

Well after many belly aches, I can tow all right, just don't ask me to back up.
default_no.gif
I have a whole check list we use EVERY time we hook up or disconnect.
default_blush.png
The dealership helped us too but really it was a lot of practicing. So maybe you could ask your dealership for a few lessons.

If you come to KY I'd be happy to work with you Jill! I love towing.

That's an AWESOME idea... leave the hitch attached to the trailer! Do you put a brace under it to help support the weight after you move the truck?

We don't brace it. It's just the basic 5th wheel hitch. I thought it was pretty odd....but since others do it with no problems....and after we tried moving this hitch ourselves....ugh!! We also used to have a drop down hitch for our gooseneck horse trailer. Not sure if you could get something like that for the horse trailer. It drops into the bed when not in use so you don't have this ball in middle of bed of truck. Maybe then, could use the 5th wheel hitch when needed?

No, you can't have both systems installed at the same time. They use the same bolt points under the bed. But, either system can do both types of hitches. You can get a B&W hitch for your gooseneck, which flips over and is "hidden", and you can take out that ball and insert the "Companion Hitch" which allows you to tow fifthwheels. But, the "Companion Hitch", while fully capable, is not NEARLY as nice as the airbag hitch you guys have
default_smile.png
Its very simple, doesn't even slide.

OR

You can use a rail system, which mounts inside the bed, with a fifthwheel hitch or a gooseneck plate. They both would mount to the rails.

I'd still support the hitch though, with a jack under it (when hanging from the trailer). That trailer frame is designed for upwards pressure, not downwards, and can bend/wrap the joints if its not strong enough. Just a thought! I'd hate to see a trailer wrecked because it has stress fractures in the welds. Force is engineered from one direction. An arch is incredibly strong when the force presses down. If it lifts, it'll fall right apart.

Becky,Hubby and I really like the idea of leaving the hitch attached to the fifthwheel
default_yes.gif
when it's at home, and yes, supported with a jack (Nathan
default_thumbup.gif
). But we store the fifthwheel for the winter at a storage facility in Myrtle Beach.
default_thud.gif

So? Do you need the hitch when the trailer is in Florida?

If you don't have the trailer for 4-6mo out of the year, sounds like it'd be perfect to remove it and just leave the gooseneck in for the winter. Then when you go get the TT again, you can swap it out.

Latest posts

Back