Tragic tail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionafarm

Reaction score
Several weeks ago, I went into our barn and found a 5 month old weanling that was down and had a foot stuck under the door. This was a hard trick to do, as the door has little room under the door. It took me quite a while to dig her foot out from under the door. The horse was collicing when I got her out. I am not sure which came first. Did she get sick first and go down or did she lay down to sleep and managed to get stuck under the door. She was in bad shape, and had a fever. Of course this was my favorite weanling. A very sweet palomino pinto filly, who was always the one that was attached to my leg when I went out with the "kids". She was very ill and we watched and nursed her along. She then appeared better, but developed a leathery coating on her muzzle. Vet said this was from fever. she could not eat so we took our pelleted feed and made mush that we fed through a syringe. She was beginning to look better when she began to limp on that leg that had got caught. The vet shaved it down and found it very badly bruised where it had been stuck. The leather stuff pealed off her nose and she looks normal again and she began to eat on her own again. The vet admitted he never expected us to pull her through. But now he was very concerned about the foot, as he was afraid the blood supply had been cut off from the hoof and that we may loose the foot if that was so. Well, we soaked the leg twice a day and treated her medically. We have now lost that battle and yesterday the hoof detached from the leg. We are now treating her leg so it will heal over.

So here we are....the vet suggested putting her down, which I let him know that it is not an option, but I know long term we can not care for her here. We have too many horses and she would never be able to fend for herself in a herd. We do not have the room to keep her separate forever. She is getting around well on three legs, but it is a slow go so far. So we are forced to look for a home for her from someone that could care for her and love her. She would make a great therapy horse, having her own handicap and her very loving personality. I can't help but think there is someone out there that could devise a prothesis for her to use too. So If anyone would be interested in helping this girl out and giving her a great home. Let me know. she is now 100% healthy except for the healing over of the leg. Not sure how much future medical attention it will need.

We live in ohio and just got a mini. Would be ok in with another yearling?

I am so sorry about your filly!

I remember getting the cutest e-mail a couple years ago about a rescue pony that had a prosthetic leg. Her owners had a little heart put on the bottom so everywhere she goes, she leaves little heart imprints. I can't remember the story, but it was beautiful. If that little mare got around with a prosthesis, I bet you're girl will too. Just gotta find the right person to make it for her.

There are so many kind souls on this forum, her perfect home will find her
default_smile.png

I pray she finds a wonderful new family. Wish I could care for her, but I know that is not an option. Good luck to you and your angel.

I am so sorry about your filly!

I remember getting the cutest e-mail a couple years ago about a rescue pony that had a prosthetic leg. Her owners had a little heart put on the bottom so everywhere she goes, she leaves little heart imprints. I can't remember the story, but it was beautiful. If that little mare got around with a prosthesis, I bet you're girl will too. Just gotta find the right person to make it for her.

There are so many kind souls on this forum, her perfect home will find her
default_smile.png
That was Molly! Right? I wish I know the details on the prosthetic...

I pray for the best for this filly. It sounds like she is an amazing horse and I am so sorry this happened. Do you have pictures of the leg to show the injury for educational purposes? (HUGS) I know this must be very hard for you!

That was Molly! Right? I wish I know the details on the prosthetic...
Yep, that's the one!! Now that I think about it, it may have been little smiley face indents that she left. Can't remember. Either way, it was a cute story.

ETA: Found it!! It is a smiley face. She was rescued after hurricane katrina and was attacked by a pit bull which is why she had to have her leg amputated. Here is a link to the story: Link to Molly's Story

It says that they used Bayou Orthotic and Prosthetic center

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a good friend who has a basically 3 legged horse. She can't straighten one of her rear legs as a result of a bad shot that got infected. Bebe doesn't know she only uses 3 legs - the 4th leg is permanently bent at the knee. She runs and plays like any other. Your baby will learn to function just fine over time.

The best of luck with her - hope you find a wonderful home for her. What a shame - she is very lucky to have you.

Barbie

So sorry your filly is going through this. I have to ask, though. Why is putting her down not an option?

No magic answers for you with your little girl........but I will tell you that we have experienced something similar.

I'm including a link that shares the story about our wonderful Gabriel.

http://www.miniatureventures.com/gabriel.html

Please note that Gabriel's amputation was a REAR leg.....That's important. We always tried to keep him with at least one other horse. When he was in his prime he was always with our youngster group.

Contact Chances and see if they can give you the information on who has Stumpy, he was a 3 legged that was adopted to a girl that works for a prothesis company and does therapy with him!! They may be interested in your girl!! Best of luck!!
default_smile.png

So sorry your filly is going through this. I have to ask, though. Why is putting her down not an option?
The same thought occurred to me, Matt... some horses cannot handle such a devastating injury. Was this a front hoof? With 60% of her weight being on the front end, she may not be able to handle that - and just when you think everything is okay, laminitis may develop in another hoof as a result. I am not trying to be negative here - just realistic and concerned.

Not sure how much future medical attention it will need.
I fear there may be a lot more medical attention needed down the road... hopefully not, but realistically one has to plan for that eventuality and expense.

I fear there may be a lot more medical attention needed down the road... hopefully not, but realistically one has to plan for that eventuality and expense.
Sometimes, euthanasia is the best thing (I wish it was a legal alternative for humans, too; often, we treat animals more humanely than humans). I'm not there, and I can only imagine how hard it would be to consider. I just hope the best decision is made in the interest of the horse. Good luck.

Sometimes, euthanasia is the best thing (I wish it was a legal alternative for humans, too; often, we treat animals more humanely that humans). I'm not there, and I can only imagine how hard it would be to consider. I just hope the best decision is made in the interest of the horse. Good luck.

I agree with Matt's philosophy, but I'm not there either, so I can't walk in your shoes. I do know that my colt that was born this spring with his front left fetlock joint fused with the pasture turned under, well, I had the vet out immediately and I was advised that although it may be possible for the colt to live many years, they would not be easy years and especially since it was a front leg instead of a back leg - all the bending down they do to graze, play, etc. - would be a very, very long and often painful road. We decided together the best thing was to let him go peacefully.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but sometimes our emotions can take over. Take the time to think about what is best for the filly. You will know what it right.

Prayers for you and your girl.

I'm so sorry this has happened...I know you will find a good home...

Take care,

Liz R.

I am so sorry this is so devastating to you.

Its correct that Stumpy's owner makes his prothesis. Apprently his mother sat on him as a baby and broke his leg and part of it had to be removed. Stumpy is lucky that his human mother works for the place that makes them. Gini knows more about this and did tell me tonite he is doing well.

There are companies out there that will design a prosthesis but they are very costly and with a growing youngster will have to be changed often until she reaches her mature height. Pain meds and risk of infection would be addresed but as you can see it has been done. Best wishes with a difficult decision.

As the wearer of a prosthesis I can say that the only way you can have an animal that wears an artificial leg would be to get some kind of sponsorship from a company as there are constant changes. Just the care of the stump will be labor intensive. It is possible, certainly, and Molly is a great example (and is sponsored by a P&O company) that it can be done. It comes down to the heart of both the horse and the caregiver. It would be awful to have the baby end up in a place that won't take the time necessary.

Best wishes on your decision.

Nancy

Bonnie has had horses for many years and will make the right decision for the filly. She has more than enough experience to know when to quit.

Bonnie, try http://horse-therapy.org/ they have miniature therapy horses (very nice quality horses). They might be willing to take her one, or know of someone who would.

I wasn't going to say anything because I didn't want to give false hope. But I had a friend who had a filly stepped on by one of the other mares back in the spring. They figure it must have been lower on her leg. She didn't break anything but there was severe bruising just above the hoof. A few days later the hoof fell off. The vet said the same thing, there is nothing you can do and it might be more humane to put her down. My friend decided to give her a chance and sure enough after a few weeks the hoof started to grow back, it is now fully healed and she is a perfectly normal rambuncious baby. Im not saying that the circumstances are identical or that the injury is exactly the same but I will keep my fingers crossed that the same is possible for your baby!

Latest posts

Back