Tragic loss

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHA

Reaction score
I am in need of help to determine foal value. On March 19th, 2007, an exotic ram (a trophy animal, raised to hunt and shoot) got into my pasture with my horses. There were thirteen horses in the pasture at that time, 2 geldings and 11 mares, five of which were pregnant and heavy in foal. By the time we could round up the stampede and chase the ram out, I had five horses with leg injuries. The horses were run to the point of fatigue by this animal and were also ran over the top of one of the feed troughs. Six days after this stressful incident, we lost the first foal. A black and white overo filly. Two days later we lost another, this time a bay pinto filly. The owner of this ram did not want to shoot him, as he was too 'pretty' to kill, and thinks he has done nothing wrong just because his ram wouldn't stay pinned in his six foot 10 x 10 dog kennel. So, we are pressing criminal charges of animal abuse and neglect (failure to properly control/contain the animal), and property damage exceeding $500.00. It is now in the hands of the prosecuting attorney. We are going for restitution of vet bills, fencing repair, and the value of the foals, but the prosectuter needs to know what the value of each of these foals would have been worth if they had

made it on the ground alive. He has asked me to get statements from other breeders as to what their value might have been. If any of you would be interested in helping me to gather information, I would be forever grateful. I will not post any photos or information on the foals here, due to the extreme graphic nature of them, but I will send them out private email. For anyone that can help me, the estimated value needs to be put on a farm letterhead and snail mailed to my address. No one will be called into court on this matter, as it is a criminal case, not civil.

In 15 years of breeding horses, this is the first time I have ever been through anything of this sort. It is extremely tragic and heartbreaking. I hope no breeder ever has to go through something like this. If you'd like to email me privately, my address is [email protected]

Thank you,

Dixi

im so so sorry. Cant even imagine losing two foals over someones ignorance. I would hit them in the money belt as hard as I could. Can you get anything for mental duress?

I have sold filies for a little as $1200 and as much as $3000. I would get a concensus and present it for an average. I am so very sorry and hope you get restitution.

I am so terribly sorry for your losses. As for the value of them, it depends on so much more than what you have mentioned here. How are they registered? Heights of parents? Colors? Bloodlines? Successful show backgrounds(parents)? Prices of similarily bred fillies that you raised and sold in the past, would all come into appraising the value of your loss.

:new_shocked: Im SOOOOO sorry!!!! that ram needs to die!!! taking your precious fillies....ugh. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:
default_torch.gif
: stupid owner. you and your babies shouldn't have to pay for one's ignorance like that. oh that must've been horrifying. my heart goes out to you.

around these parts, pinto fillies could easily haul in $3,000 each. if not, more. the owner of the ram also should pay any vet bills (if you already mention this, sorry) for the horses who were injured at all.

good luck making this rotten guy get what he deserves!!!!

I am so sorry for your losses, and for the extreme stress your horses (and you) suffered at the time the ram got into your horse pasture. How bad were the leg injuries, and how are those horses doing?

What Mona said is quite true--if you have past sales amounts on your fillies, that will help with assessing value on these lost foals. There is a very big range of prices out there on foals, so registry, pedigree, show records and produce records of the parents of the lost fillies, even purchase price of the parents can help determine the foals' value.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into things but.... you may have to prove that the ram incident kille the foals. Because of the incidents of foal losses from other things.... you may not be able to recoup a loss. Our tax accountant said we couldnt claim a lossfor the two fillies we lost to distocias last year because there was no proof of their value. If you cant proove cause of death you may not be awarded anything in court. Especially for a lost past a day or two after the incident.

Lyn

Yeah so true Lyn,

I never recieved money for dogs coming and killing prize show birds.................and we caught the dogs.

I agree with Mona on how to determine value........ Lyn also made a good point about gaining proof. You need to get your vet involved for that.

A number of years ago at our previous place, we had a 12 foot gate (with a chain and latch) off a dry lot behind our house for access to an irrigation canal. Some irrigation workers came through and for some reason openned the gate and left......allowing a group of our minis to get loose. A neighbor dog chased the group along the canal until all but one mare made their way back to their dry lot, of course with our assistance...... For some reason the dog continued chasing our one mare, Raven, who was pregnant, until we were able to intervene. She aborted her foal about a day later.

We contacted the irrigation company, contacted an attorney, and our vet. Because we couldn't prove "absolutely" that the incident caused Raven to abort, we were told we had little chance so we didn't pursue a court case -- although I feel we should have tried.

Good luck in your efforts. Personally, loosing TWO foals is just too much of a coincidence.

MA

I'm so sorry that your horses got hurt and your mares lost their foals. I wish you good luck in your legal pursuits. I hope the prosecuter goes after the guy on criminal charges but I'm afraid you'll end up in civil court to try and get your vet costs and money for the foals.

In Oh Dixi,

I'm so very, very sorry for your loss (((HUGS))) :no:

Hi Dixi,

I'll put something in writing and mail it to you. I can use the several horses I've purchased from you in the past as a basis for my opinion on value.

Thanks to everyone for their responses and emails. You are so greatly appreciated!

Dixi

Latest posts

Back